Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

Default ideas to cover an ugly beam?

In article .com, louie
says...

idea #1: Drywall over it with some 3/8" drywall. - it'll require taping
of four corners, which can be a pain.

idea #2: Buy some clear pine planks and cover with those, prime and
paint.

idea #3: buy some panelling or bead-board and cover with that.

idea #4: paint over it, though I'm not sure what was used as a stain so
paint may not work.

Try #4 first, prime first. Paint color of the ceiling.

If you don't like the effect - go for #2. (although I'm not sure what ismeant
by "clear pine planks".

I actually had beams installed in my cathedral-ceiling'd addition. Now they're
covered with unfinished pine planks. I get compliments on it, although that
suprises me - to me they're just waiting there unfinished and awaiting the new
windows and trim, after which I will stain the trim and and the beams.

Banty