Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fat Max Propylene cylinders

It looks like these are being discontinued. Instead one can again buy
the 14 oz cylinders (those that had had bad malfunctions which caused
severe injuries and were litigated).

Does anyone know the reason? Is this because people hated attaching
their torches directly to the Fat Maxs? What was the outcome of the
various lawsuits? Have they changed the cylinder construction to make
them safer?

All I know that in our local Home Hardware the 14 oz cylinder was
actually more expensive than the Fat Max (16.9 oz).

I bought two of the Fat Maxs which should last me a bit but I am
getting kind of tired of Bernzomatic chopping and changing (the new
cylinders will not fit my holder). I expect the only alternative is to
go with air/acetylene.

Has anyone here had hard time with their insurance company using
air/acetylene? I am specifically banned from "welding" within 25 feet
of the house but I am allowed to "solder".

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 19, 11:51*am, wrote:
On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 18:39:59 -0800, wrote:
[...]

Though the question of air/acetylene has never come up with my
insurance company I can attest to the usefulness of air/acetylene for
soldering. The flame is quite hot and makes for quick soldering jobs.
I'm surprised that propylene isn't available to you in large cylinders
like acetylene is.
Eric- Hide quoted text -

I was about to suggest that he use Mapp gas. But wiki says it's been
discontinued for years. (I didn't know.. guess I should hang on to
the half bottle I've got.)
Is the propylene some inferior substitute?

George H. (living in the past)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 09:41:09 -0800 (PST), George Herold
wrote:

On Dec 19, 11:51*am, wrote:
[...]

MAPP is Methylated something Propylene. And it was available in bulk
and 20-pound BBQ style cylinders for a while through Welding Supply
houses and such, not sure what the current status is. If I need a
large quantity like that, Acetylene is more convenient because you can
weld with it too.

I just bought a couple 1-pound MAPP cylinders at Home Depot for a hand
torch not long ago, so it's still around. MAPP-Air gets hotter than
Propane-Air for little plumbing jobs where I don't feel like lugging a
B Acetylene.

Bernzomatic is pushing the little-baby 1/4-pound MAPP cylinders there
for hand torches, but that's stupid - they can't hold enough energy to
cover the cost of making the containers.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The last time I tried to buy Mapp gas, all I could
find was Mapp-Pro, which I presume to be far
cheaper to produce, slightly cheaper to sell, and
also far less effective to use.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"George Herold"
wrote in message

I was about to suggest that he use Mapp gas. But
wiki says it's been discontinued for years. (I didn't
know.. guess I should hang on to the half bottle I've
got.)

Is the propylene some inferior substitute?

George H. (living in the past)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Please look again. You may have been quietly
sold yellow cans of "Mapp-Pro".

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)"
wrote in message

MAPP is Methylated something Propylene. And it was available in bulk
and 20-pound BBQ style cylinders for a while through Welding Supply
houses and such, not sure what the current status is. If I need a
large quantity like that, Acetylene is more convenient because you can
weld with it too.

I just bought a couple 1-pound MAPP cylinders at Home Depot for a hand
torch not long ago, so it's still around. MAPP-Air gets hotter than
Propane-Air for little plumbing jobs where I don't feel like lugging a
B Acetylene.

Bernzomatic is pushing the little-baby 1/4-pound MAPP cylinders there
for hand torches, but that's stupid - they can't hold enough energy to
cover the cost of making the containers.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

George Herold wrote:

I was about to suggest that he use Mapp gas. But wiki says it's been
discontinued for years. (I didn't know.. guess I should hang on to
the half bottle I've got.)
Is the propylene some inferior substitute?

George H. (living in the past)

Ohio based Worthington Cylinders has issued a voluntary recall of its
MAP-Pro, Propylene and MAPP cylinders due to a potential leak.

Established in 1955, Worthington Cylinders prides itself in the safety
of its products and in workplace safety. In keeping with this mission
statement, the company has issued a voluntary recall of a number of its
cylinders.

The MAP-Pro, Propylene and MAPP cylinders have been recalled. According
to Worthington Cylinders this is due to, “a potential leak occurring
when a torch or hose is disconnected from the cylinder.”

The firm has not received reports of injuries or accidents related to
the issue.

For more information, or for instructions on how to dispose of or return
cylinders for a refund, visit www.mapcylinder-recall.com

Basically it says that the seal in the valve can leak, so If you attach
a torch head just leave it on till the bottle is empty.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That threw my browser into search mode, and
this one seemed to relate:
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml12/12117.html

Said that one should burn off the contents of the
tank, and then take it back to the store for refund
or exchange. I wonder if it would power a
portable heater, it's a shame to waste that
perfectly good combustible gas.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Steve W." wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

.

"Steve W." wrote in message

[...]

Thanks guys, (Steve, Stormin, and Bruce) I bought my small (14 oz ?)
bottle of mapp gas over ten years ago. I don't do much soldering
anymore, and then mostly just air and propane, but every once in a
while I need more heat for a job. And the mapp is there as back up.

George H.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You're probably fine. I've found that sometimes a squirt of WD-40 into the
valve, and then wiggle the valve stem a little, with the tip of a straight
pin, and it seals right up. No worries.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"George Herold" wrote in message

Thanks guys, (Steve, Stormin, and Bruce) I bought my small (14 oz ?)
bottle of mapp gas over ten years ago. I don't do much soldering
anymore, and then mostly just air and propane, but every once in a
while I need more heat for a job. And the mapp is there as back up.

George H.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/19/2012 5:24 PM, Steve W. wrote:
For more information, or for instructions on how to dispose of or return
cylinders for a refund, visit www.mapcylinder-recall.com

Make that:
http://www.mapcylinderrecall.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 10:35:14 -0800, "Bruce L. Bergman (munged human
readable)" wrote:

[...]

[...]

Yes, MAPP has not been around for a while. Still propylene is better
than propane and safer than acetylene. Also the 16.9 oz packaging
suited my needs just fine in terms of consumption and storage.

The Bernzomatic site no longer shows any other cylinders than the 14
oz ones. The ones where the valve would detach spewing gas and large
flames causing severe burns.

Interestingly the site no longer shows the 5.25 oz cylinders either.
You can still get them here but they cost $10 each while the Fat Max
costs $12 (the 14 oz $13 - go figure!). I deduced from this that the
Fat Maxs were too big to use attached directly to a torch. It was in
that mode that the previous version of 14 oz cylinders had their
failures. The 5.25 oz cylinders were presumably an interim measure
while trying to sort out the 14 oz cylinders.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 22:30:32 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 12/19/2012 5:24 PM, Steve W. wrote:
For more information, or for instructions on how to dispose of or return
cylinders for a refund, visit www.mapcylinder-recall.com

Make that:
http://www.mapcylinderrecall.com/

Or just Be Careful Using Them till they are empty, just like you
should be doing everyday.

Don't EVER take the bottle off while the torch is still lit, or around
another ignition source. And then you put a drop of spit on the end
of your finger and dab it over the hole of the cylinder valve, and
make sure it isn't leaking before you walk away - if it blows a bubble
you need to get it to seat.

If it leaks but can't ignite anything, it can't hurt anything.

With a recall like that, going through the hassle of returning the
cylinders is only necessary for Employers like Tawm. When the odds
are that employees are going to deliberately use the product as
improperly as possible and see if they can make it go BOOM. (Because
they are looking for a big tort payout when they get hurt.)

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
That threw my browser into search mode, and
this one seemed to relate:
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml12/12117.html

Said that one should burn off the contents of the
tank, and then take it back to the store for refund
or exchange. I wonder if it would power a
portable heater, it's a shame to waste that
perfectly good combustible gas.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I generally install a bottle, check it for leaks (ANY gas) and it stays
on the torch till it's empty anyway.
The warnings I have seen say that if you install the bottle then remove
it you can have a leak.
Not a problem for me.

Another site is claiming that the bottle connection fails before the
torch breaks. Since I don't generally toss my torches
around that hard I don't see that as a problem....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 12/19/2012 5:24 PM, Steve W. wrote:
For more information, or for instructions on how to dispose of or return
cylinders for a refund, visit www.mapcylinder-recall.com

Make that:
http://www.mapcylinderrecall.com/

Yeah, what he said. I just pulled it off the site.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That is why I have a few torches. Couple of MAPP units and a couple
propane only that I use for lead work.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 20, 1:14*pm, "Steve W." wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

That's interesting. I was taught (on my father's knee) that I should
take the torch off the bottle after each use because it might leak
with the torch left on. No problem changing my modus operandi, I've
got plenty of torches.

George H.

CO2 cylinders Gunner Asch[_6_] Metalworking 8 December 29th 11 09:01 AM
Gas cylinders Keith Dunbar UK diy 3 July 8th 07 10:29 PM
Propylene instead of acetylene? Gunner Metalworking 25 November 29th 04 03:42 AM
Torch/gas compatibility: Oxy-Acetylene/Mapp/Propylene/.... David Malicky Metalworking 12 July 16th 04 07:10 PM
Used Gas Cylinders Matt Metalworking 12 February 3rd 04 12:09 PM