Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fat Max Propylene cylinders

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 18:39:59 -0800, wrote:

It looks like these are being discontinued. Instead one can again buy
the 14 oz cylinders (those that had had bad malfunctions which caused
severe injuries and were litigated).

Does anyone know the reason? Is this because people hated attaching
their torches directly to the Fat Maxs? What was the outcome of the
various lawsuits? Have they changed the cylinder construction to make
them safer?

All I know that in our local Home Hardware the 14 oz cylinder was
actually more expensive than the Fat Max (16.9 oz).

I bought two of the Fat Maxs which should last me a bit but I am
getting kind of tired of Bernzomatic chopping and changing (the new
cylinders will not fit my holder). I expect the only alternative is to
go with air/acetylene.

Has anyone here had hard time with their insurance company using
air/acetylene? I am specifically banned from "welding" within 25 feet
of the house but I am allowed to "solder".

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Though the question of air/acetylene has never come up with my
insurance company I can attest to the usefulness of air/acetylene for
soldering. The flame is quite hot and makes for quick soldering jobs.
I'm surprised that propylene isn't available to you in large cylinders
like acetylene is.
Eric