Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cutting teeth in a ratchet wheel

On 12/4/2012 8:40 PM, F.K. wrote:
On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 19:55:44 -0500, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

The wheel is 36" dia., .3125" thick and has a 14" hole in the center and
six equidistant mounting holes .375 dia. 1" from center hole. There
needs to be 118 teeth that are 3/8" deep and have a leg of the
triangular tooth that is a radian and the other leg is 60 degrees.

I see doing them with a hacksaw and a file after blued and laid out by
hand. (maybe a power saw) Any better ideas? I can't visualize mounting
it on the BP.

Hire a machinist :-)

Ain't that cheating?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 23:59:59 -0500, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 12/4/2012 8:40 PM, F.K. wrote:
On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 19:55:44 -0500, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

The wheel is 36" dia., .3125" thick and has a 14" hole in the center and
six equidistant mounting holes .375 dia. 1" from center hole. There
needs to be 118 teeth that are 3/8" deep and have a leg of the
triangular tooth that is a radian and the other leg is 60 degrees.

I see doing them with a hacksaw and a file after blued and laid out by
hand. (maybe a power saw) Any better ideas? I can't visualize mounting
it on the BP.

Hire a machinist :-)

Ain't that cheating?

Not really. I think I'd hire a welder if I was building a bridge.

Actually, since you posted the original message on the 4th and today
is the 5th, one would assume that the job would be finished already
:-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" Mars@Tacks wrote in message

Hire a machinist :-)

Ain't that cheating?

If I had to do this job with what I own I'd use my index to drill a
circle of dowel pin holes and then make a bandsaw jig that located the
blank from each dowel pin and the center hole.

I'd clamp the index and a bench drill press to a long solid surface to
drill the holes, then jack up a length of straight stock on a
hydraulic table to bandsaw table height and guide the center and index
dowel pins along its edge.

I think I could jig up up my surface grinder to support and locate the
center and finish the radial edges with a dish wheel. I would measure
the spacing between all the pin holes and use a spreadsheet to
calculate the offsets to correct for their variations with the Y table
feed. Pin n's proper position is at SumOfAll * n/118 from the starting
pin, which is the one that makes all corrections a positive number.
It's actual position is the sum of the spaces before it. Each space is
the measurement across the pins minus the diameter of one, which the
spreadsheet does for you. I'd double-check SumOfAll with a tape
measure.

If the errors are small the pivot could be attached to and move with
the table. If they are large the pivot holder should be clamped to the
frame so it stays in line with the grinding wheel edges and table
travel axis. Then the pivot would have to be able to slide, or bend if
it was a rod rising from the floor.

Good Luck with it
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/5/2012 8:45 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

I see that and it's a good, simple solution. Thankz!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/4/2012 8:40 PM, F.K. wrote:
On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 19:55:44 -0500, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

The wheel is 36" dia., .3125" thick and has a 14" hole in the center and
six equidistant mounting holes .375 dia. 1" from center hole. There
needs to be 118 teeth that are 3/8" deep and have a leg of the
triangular tooth that is a radian and the other leg is 60 degrees.

I see doing them with a hacksaw and a file after blued and laid out by
hand. (maybe a power saw) Any better ideas? I can't visualize mounting
it on the BP.

Hire a machinist :-)

Ain't that cheating?

Not really. I think I'd hire a welder if I was building a bridge.

Actually, since you posted the original message on the 4th and today
is the 5th, one would assume that the job would be finished already
:-)

I have a LOT to do on this machine, the ratchet wheel is near the end,
I'm just thinking ahead. There is still a small chance I can get a used
one cheap. It fits a standard machine that makes different products
according to the number of teeth, each tooth corresponds to a position
on an X-Y table. The machine makes wooden block wire brushes, I have 16
of these machines, think 2-ton sewing machine. This one will make a
6x19 row, the extra teeth are for resetting to the first position. I
already have a machine to make this but I need to double production so
I'm duplicating all that is involved in the set-up which involves table,
holders cams and ratchet wheel. About three man-months of work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

I have a LOT to do on this machine, the ratchet wheel is near the end,
I'm just thinking ahead.

I can imagine placing a plate on the table of the mill, with some pins
that locate the center hole of the wheel. Then, you cut the first
tooth on the mill, and then rotate and clamp the wheel, and a pin
or some other locating device indexes the first tooth. The
alignment of this index pin is pretty critical, but maybe with careful
measurement, you can set it up so you don't have an accumulated error
when you get to the last tooth. The plate would hang out the front of
the table a bit so the back of the wheel would clear the mill's
column.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/4/2012 8:40 PM, F.K. wrote:
[...]

Well depending on accuracy you can probably get a guy to rough cut the
teeth with a 4" or 6" hand grinder, maybe even finish file it.
What you need is an apprentice program. Get some cheap help.

Or maybe an illegal alien. Some of them Mexicans can do nice work :-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/4/2012 8:40 PM, F.K. wrote:

[...]

For under $50 you can have this cut out wither as laser or a water jet...
I just got two jobs done at two different shops, about the same size.
One was water jetted, and one was lasered. Both jobs under $50.
The laser shop was two disks and that included the material.....
Seriously, you cannot afford to do this job yourself!
Quit screwing around and make brushes. The laser shops will not compete with you making brushes.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cross-Slide wrote:

For under $50 you can have this cut out wither as laser or a water jet...
I just got two jobs done at two different shops, about the same size.
One was water jetted, and one was lasered. Both jobs under $50.
The laser shop was two disks and that included the material.....
Seriously, you cannot afford to do this job yourself!
Quit screwing around and make brushes. The laser shops will not compete with you making brushes.

Maybe he can pay them off in brushes?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/4/2012 8:40 PM, F.K. wrote:
On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 19:55:44 -0500, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

The wheel is 36" dia., .3125" thick and has a 14" hole in the center and
six equidistant mounting holes .375 dia. 1" from center hole. There
needs to be 118 teeth that are 3/8" deep and have a leg of the
triangular tooth that is a radian and the other leg is 60 degrees.

I see doing them with a hacksaw and a file after blued and laid out by
hand. (maybe a power saw) Any better ideas? I can't visualize mounting
it on the BP.

Hire a machinist :-)

Ain't that cheating?

Not really. I think I'd hire a welder if I was building a bridge.

It's all a question of time and volume. Building a bridge complete
that you expect to put live traffic on, and you have a day job you
could be making more money at - you hire a welder just to make it
happen faster, better, and be absolutely sure it's done right and
safe. Not cheating.

Welding on one non-structural bracket for a sign, well shucks, that
you can handle.

[...]

Seconded! If the company that made the machine is still around and
not charging usurious prices, just ORDER ONE, Dammit! It will be a
whole lot cheaper-faster-better than screwing around reinventing the
wheel with a chisel and a file. It's manufacturing equipment, not a
hand-fitted over-under shotgun.

Or if it's a design problem with the OEM part and you wear the teeth
out way before their time - Make a scan and a CAD file of your old
wheels. Use a better grade of tool steel and have them Laser or
Water-jet cut, then off for heat treating and tempering to toughen the
metal up.

One you have a wheel that lasts forever, offer to tell them what
they're doing wrong - perhaps they'll listen. If they're really
grateful, you might get the Karma paid back - and if not, you've
solved your ongoing maintenance problem.

And same for the pattern setting pins and other bits that wear out too
fast - between hardening the pins and coming up with a better way to
keep them lubed (perhaps a row of little brush oilers that hits the
pins once each revolution, and gets a metered squirt every hour...)
you can stop the wear there too.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 6, 12:47*pm, "Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)"
wrote:

Seconded! *If the company that made the machine is still around and
not charging usurious prices, just ORDER ONE, Dammit! * *It will be a
whole lot cheaper-faster-better than screwing around reinventing the
wheel with a chisel and a file. *It's manufacturing equipment, not a
hand-fitted over-under shotgun.

-- Bruce --

I am not sure but I think the company that made the machine is The
Ohio Brush Company. If so they are still around.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/4/2012 8:40 PM, F.K. wrote:
[...]

We have a large Mexican population that has a lot of illegals. I went
to their church and posted "Help-Wanted" on the bulletin board. They
won't do anything for less than $15/hr.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/4/2012 8:40 PM, F.K. wrote:

[...]

I DO have to be reminded of that quite often!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cross-Slide wrote:

For under $50 you can have this cut out wither as laser or a water jet...
I just got two jobs done at two different shops, about the same size.
One was water jetted, and one was lasered. Both jobs under $50.
The laser shop was two disks and that included the material.....
Seriously, you cannot afford to do this job yourself!
Quit screwing around and make brushes. The laser shops will not compete with you making brushes.

Maybe he can pay them off in brushes?

Don't laugh! They are GREAT currency or tips!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/4/2012 8:40 PM, F.K. wrote:
[...]

They want $800 and the owner's a good friend (too much)

http://www.carlson-tool.com/index.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

Cross-Slide wrote:

For under $50 you can have this cut out wither as laser or a water jet...
I just got two jobs done at two different shops, about the same size.
One was water jetted, and one was lasered. Both jobs under $50.
The laser shop was two disks and that included the material.....
Seriously, you cannot afford to do this job yourself!
Quit screwing around and make brushes. The laser shops will not compete with you making brushes.

Maybe he can pay them off in brushes?

Don't laugh! They are GREAT currency or tips!

I wasn't laughing. I was just betting that you already did that.
Are they marked, "Supplied by the courtesy of Ohio Brush" or something
similar? Then you might be able to write them off as advertising
expenses.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/4/2012 8:40 PM, F.K. wrote:
[...]

On the other hand, how much is your time worth?
--
Cheers,
John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

We made all the other machines here, for making wire wheels, end
brushes, knot brushes, etc. plus we make all the parts and the dies to
make the parts. We DO have a very capable machine shop. (lots of toys!)

Time to lease a waterjet for that shop...

With the hinky economy I wonder if any of the waterjet suppliers is
willing to provide a machine in your shop on a charge per hour of cut
time basis. Other industries are doing similar "capacity on demand"
where they give you a machine and charge you for use, or you pay for a
base use amount and get charged extra over that amount.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/4/2012 8:40 PM, F.K. wrote:
[...]

My industry standard pay scale isn't that much. Some of my people make
more, some less. A new, legal employee with skills doesn't make that.
The Mexican population gets more because they are used to
under-the-table part-time work.

I think I'll send it out. I can do it, plenty of good ideas here, but
as I was reminded...to make products, not play in the shop!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

Cross-Slide wrote:

For under $50 you can have this cut out wither as laser or a water jet...
I just got two jobs done at two different shops, about the same size.
One was water jetted, and one was lasered. Both jobs under $50.
The laser shop was two disks and that included the material.....
Seriously, you cannot afford to do this job yourself!
Quit screwing around and make brushes. The laser shops will not compete with you making brushes.

Maybe he can pay them off in brushes?

Don't laugh! They are GREAT currency or tips!

I wasn't laughing. I was just betting that you already did that.
Are they marked, "Supplied by the courtesy of Ohio Brush" or something
similar? Then you might be able to write them off as advertising
expenses.

Took a box to a supplier; he said his Christmas shopping was all done now.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/7/2012 10:29 AM, Pete C. wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

We made all the other machines here, for making wire wheels, end
brushes, knot brushes, etc. plus we make all the parts and the dies to
make the parts. We DO have a very capable machine shop. (lots of toys!)

Time to lease a waterjet for that shop...

With the hinky economy I wonder if any of the waterjet suppliers is
willing to provide a machine in your shop on a charge per hour of cut
time basis. Other industries are doing similar "capacity on demand"
where they give you a machine and charge you for use, or you pay for a
base use amount and get charged extra over that amount.

At least Cleveland still has wonderful shops that can do anything and
most are no more than 10 minutes away...and they ARE hungry.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

We made all the other machines here, for making wire wheels, end
brushes, knot brushes, etc. plus we make all the parts and the dies to
make the parts. We DO have a very capable machine shop. (lots of toys!)

Time to lease a waterjet for that shop...

With the hinky economy I wonder if any of the waterjet suppliers is
willing to provide a machine in your shop on a charge per hour of cut
time basis. Other industries are doing similar "capacity on demand"
where they give you a machine and charge you for use, or you pay for a
base use amount and get charged extra over that amount.

At least Cleveland still has wonderful shops that can do anything and
most are no more than 10 minutes away...and they ARE hungry.

Did you hear that Michigan may sign a 'Right to work' law, within a
few weeks?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

We made all the other machines here, for making wire wheels, end
brushes, knot brushes, etc. plus we make all the parts and the dies to
make the parts. We DO have a very capable machine shop. (lots of toys!)

Time to lease a waterjet for that shop...

With the hinky economy I wonder if any of the waterjet suppliers is
willing to provide a machine in your shop on a charge per hour of cut
time basis. Other industries are doing similar "capacity on demand"
where they give you a machine and charge you for use, or you pay for a
base use amount and get charged extra over that amount.

At least Cleveland still has wonderful shops that can do anything and
most are no more than 10 minutes away...and they ARE hungry.

Did you hear that Michigan may sign a 'Right to work' law, within a
few weeks?

Ohio may follow sooner than most think. About time!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

We made all the other machines here, for making wire wheels, end
brushes, knot brushes, etc. plus we make all the parts and the dies to
make the parts. We DO have a very capable machine shop. (lots of toys!)

Time to lease a waterjet for that shop...

With the hinky economy I wonder if any of the waterjet suppliers is
willing to provide a machine in your shop on a charge per hour of cut
time basis. Other industries are doing similar "capacity on demand"
where they give you a machine and charge you for use, or you pay for a
base use amount and get charged extra over that amount.

At least Cleveland still has wonderful shops that can do anything and
most are no more than 10 minutes away...and they ARE hungry.

Did you hear that Michigan may sign a 'Right to work' law, within a
few weeks?

Ohio may follow sooner than most think. About time!

Looks like it was passed:

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/michigan-right-to-work/2012/12/06/id/466802?s=al&promo_code=11035-1

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

[...]

Michigan needs all the help it can get. No business will even LOOK at a
union State unless they already have a union.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

Ohio may follow sooner than most think. About time!

Looks like it was passed:

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/michigan-right-to-work/2012/12/06/id/466802?s=al&promo_code=11035-1

Michigan needs all the help it can get. No business will even LOOK at a
union State unless they already have a union.

I also heard on the radio yesterday that Detroit was considering
dissolving their city charter, and dumping their problems on the county
government.