Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john B. john B. is offline

Default Cutting teeth in a ratchet wheel

On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 22:45:04 -0500, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 12/5/2012 10:01 PM, F.K. wrote:
On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 11:32:51 -0500, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 12/5/2012 7:24 AM, F.K. wrote:
On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 23:59:59 -0500, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 12/4/2012 8:40 PM, F.K. wrote:
On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 19:55:44 -0500, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

The wheel is 36" dia., .3125" thick and has a 14" hole in the center and
six equidistant mounting holes .375 dia. 1" from center hole. There
needs to be 118 teeth that are 3/8" deep and have a leg of the
triangular tooth that is a radian and the other leg is 60 degrees.

I see doing them with a hacksaw and a file after blued and laid out by
hand. (maybe a power saw) Any better ideas? I can't visualize mounting
it on the BP.

Hire a machinist :-)

Ain't that cheating?

Not really. I think I'd hire a welder if I was building a bridge.

Actually, since you posted the original message on the 4th and today
is the 5th, one would assume that the job would be finished already
:-)

I have a LOT to do on this machine, the ratchet wheel is near the end,
I'm just thinking ahead. There is still a small chance I can get a used
one cheap. It fits a standard machine that makes different products
according to the number of teeth, each tooth corresponds to a position
on an X-Y table. The machine makes wooden block wire brushes, I have 16
of these machines, think 2-ton sewing machine. This one will make a
6x19 row, the extra teeth are for resetting to the first position. I
already have a machine to make this but I need to double production so
I'm duplicating all that is involved in the set-up which involves table,
holders cams and ratchet wheel. About three man-months of work.

Well depending on accuracy you can probably get a guy to rough cut the
teeth with a 4" or 6" hand grinder, maybe even finish file it.
What you need is an apprentice program. Get some cheap help.

Or maybe an illegal alien. Some of them Mexicans can do nice work :-)

We have a large Mexican population that has a lot of illegals. I went
to their church and posted "Help-Wanted" on the bulletin board. They
won't do anything for less than $15/hr.

On the other hand, how much is your time worth?
--
Cheers,
John B.