Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cutting teeth in a ratchet wheel

On 12/6/2012 12:47 PM, Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) wrote:
On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 08:09:08 -0800 (PST), Cross-Slide
wrote:

On Wednesday, December 5, 2012 10:32:51 AM UTC-6, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 12/5/2012 7:24 AM, F.K. wrote:
On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 23:59:59 -0500, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
On 12/4/2012 8:40 PM, F.K. wrote:
On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 19:55:44 -0500, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

The wheel is 36" dia., .3125" thick and has a 14" hole in the center and
six equidistant mounting holes .375 dia. 1" from center hole. There
needs to be 118 teeth that are 3/8" deep and have a leg of the
triangular tooth that is a radian and the other leg is 60 degrees.

I see doing them with a hacksaw and a file after blued and laid out by
hand. (maybe a power saw) Any better ideas? I can't visualize mounting
it on the BP.

Hire a machinist :-)

Ain't that cheating?

Not really. I think I'd hire a welder if I was building a bridge.

It's all a question of time and volume. Building a bridge complete
that you expect to put live traffic on, and you have a day job you
could be making more money at - you hire a welder just to make it
happen faster, better, and be absolutely sure it's done right and
safe. Not cheating.

Welding on one non-structural bracket for a sign, well shucks, that
you can handle.

Actually, since you posted the original message on the 4th and today
is the 5th, one would assume that the job would be finished already
:-)

I have a LOT to do on this machine, the ratchet wheel is near the end,
I'm just thinking ahead. There is still a small chance I can get a used
one cheap. It fits a standard machine that makes different products
according to the number of teeth, each tooth corresponds to a position
on an X-Y table. The machine makes wooden block wire brushes, I have 16
of these machines, think 2-ton sewing machine. This one will make a
6x19 row, the extra teeth are for resetting to the first position. I
already have a machine to make this but I need to double production so
I'm duplicating all that is involved in the set-up which involves table,
holders cams and ratchet wheel. About three man-months of work.

For under $50 you can have this cut out wither as laser or a water jet...
I just got two jobs done at two different shops, about the same size.
One was water jetted, and one was lasered. Both jobs under $50.
The laser shop was two disks and that included the material.....
Seriously, you cannot afford to do this job yourself!
Quit screwing around and make brushes. The laser shops
will not compete with you making brushes.

Seconded! If the company that made the machine is still around and
not charging usurious prices, just ORDER ONE, Dammit! It will be a
whole lot cheaper-faster-better than screwing around reinventing the
wheel with a chisel and a file. It's manufacturing equipment, not a
hand-fitted over-under shotgun.

Or if it's a design problem with the OEM part and you wear the teeth
out way before their time - Make a scan and a CAD file of your old
wheels. Use a better grade of tool steel and have them Laser or
Water-jet cut, then off for heat treating and tempering to toughen the
metal up.

One you have a wheel that lasts forever, offer to tell them what
they're doing wrong - perhaps they'll listen. If they're really
grateful, you might get the Karma paid back - and if not, you've
solved your ongoing maintenance problem.

And same for the pattern setting pins and other bits that wear out too
fast - between hardening the pins and coming up with a better way to
keep them lubed (perhaps a row of little brush oilers that hits the
pins once each revolution, and gets a metered squirt every hour...)
you can stop the wear there too.

-- Bruce --

They want $800 and the owner's a good friend (too much)

http://www.carlson-tool.com/index.htm