Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Computer questions

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

I was getting nagged that my IE was outdated, and that I should download the
newest greatest Google Chrome, which I finally did. Now, it must not have
gone in, as I still get the nag message. I'm not fond of it, as it takes me
to BING on a lot of things, and I hate BING.

Check in preferences. You may be able to override this.

I need a little help understanding this. I hear all sorts of bad things
about Google, and IE, and such. I seem not to have all these problems, tho
I am not fond of some things my computer does, like: taking me to Bing,
where it is impossible to find the article you went there for; taking a long
time up to forever to download some stories and videos, redirecting, etc.

Google seems to be trying to monetize their browser, so they collect all
manner of information. But the browser does work pretty well, by most
reports.

Will downloading Firefox improve my computer life? Do I have to uninstall
IE, and will my computer allow itself to be castrated thusly? Is there a
lot of configuring to do afterward? Do I have to get rid of OE, and
download a new news program, or does the installation of Firefox fix all
that? I am somewhat handy on computers, but not sure about setting the
things behind the curtain.

Advice appreciated on selecting a browser, news reader, and general computer
setup to make my computing life a little smoother.

You can have any number of browsers, and do not have to uninstall one to
have another. In each browser's preferences, uncheck the box about
checking for or being the default browser, so they won't fight for
dominance.

Firefox works pretty well, and is what I usually use. There is no risk
to trying it. Firefox is not really a newsreader, and so will not
replace Outlook Express, which has many problems.

But there are many newsreaders, so you ought to be able to find one that
you like. The best approach is to try a few of them, as there is not
one best newsreader. While you can have multiple newsreaders, some may
conflict if downloading news simultaneously, so make downloading
manually triggered until you settle on one.

The big thing to look for in newsreaders and email clients is how well
filtering works, so you can automatically ignore most spam and scams,
and bozos.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 24, 1:03*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

What is the reason you don't ask your computer related questions in a
forum that has nothing but computer geeks / computer experts in it?

This is the best forum I know of:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jon_banquer" wrote in message
On Nov 24, 1:03 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

Uh, I don't know. Why do you talk politics here?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 24, 1:03 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Because there are so few machining threads and it's one way to keep
this group alive.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
[...]

You have to turn off the notification for IE to tell you it has to be
updated. That should be in the tools /internet options/ advanced
section. Just turn off the selection for "automatically check for IE
updates"

Then download FF17, install the following add-ons

ad block+ (blocks 99% of the adds and pop up crap on web pages. Can be
disabled on individual sites as needed)

Image Zoom (allows you to right click an image and view just the image,
or zoom in/out on images easily)

Download helper (allows you to very easily download videos/music and
other stuff with a couple clicks)

I also install a couple appearance items to make the background nicer.
--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Thunderbird has a good newsreader in it. BUT the newer versions are
somewhat of a PIA.
You can find the older versions on www.oldversion.com personally I
stopped at version 2 but version 3 isn't hard to alter to be usable.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 24, 1:03 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Uh, I don't know. Â*Why do you talk politics here?

Because there are so few machining threads and it's one way to keep
this group alive.

Or kill it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/24/2012 5:46 PM, jon_banquer wrote:

Uh, I don't know. Why do you talk politics here?

Because there are so few machining threads and it's one way to keep
this group alive.

If that's the alternative, please let it die.
Politics is choking the life out of it.
There's nothing wrong with a group that has few RELEVANT
threads.
That's the DESIRED optimum situation.
Ain't nobody gonna delete the group for lack of politics.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

mike wrote:

On 11/24/2012 5:46 PM, jon_banquer wrote:

Uh, I don't know. Why do you talk politics here?

Because there are so few machining threads and it's one way to keep
this group alive.

If that's the alternative, please let it die.
Politics is choking the life out of it.
There's nothing wrong with a group that has few RELEVANT
threads.
That's the DESIRED optimum situation.
Ain't nobody gonna delete the group for lack of politics.

Kill file Banquer and the other political trolls.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/24/2012 1:04 PM, Steve B wrote:
[...]

Might be helpful to mention the OS version you're using and how old the
IE is...in the proper browser newsgroup.
Sometimes, it's helpful to upgrade IE even if you don't use it.
Sometimes, it makes things worse.
Other programs use dlls that get installed with IE.
YMMV.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

mike wrote:

[...]

You can't do Winodws Updates with an out of date version of Internet
Explorer.

BTW, Steve posts through a well known troll server, (Aioe.org NNTP
Server) and has a Gmail address. Neither of which speak well of him.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
mike wrote:
[...]

Sure you can. I have IE 6 and the only thing it does for updates is
check for the windows installer package.
You can't use a different breed of browser though, without a few add-ons.

The latest and greatest sometimes really sucks. Win 8 is a perfect example.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 24, 7:30*pm, mike wrote:
On 11/24/2012 5:46 PM, jon_banquer wrote:

Uh, I don't know. *Why do you talk politics here?

Because there are so few machining threads and it's one way to keep
this group alive.

If that's the alternative, please let it die.
Politics is choking the life out of it.
There's nothing wrong with a group that has few RELEVANT
threads.
That's the DESIRED optimum situation.
Ain't nobody gonna delete the group for lack of politics.

The alternative is to see a dead newsgroup filled with spam.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 24, 7:34*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
mike wrote:

On 11/24/2012 5:46 PM, jon_banquer wrote:

Uh, I don't know. *Why do you talk politics here?

Because there are so few machining threads and it's one way to keep
this group alive.

If that's the alternative, please let it die.
Politics is choking the life out of it.
There's nothing wrong with a group that has few RELEVANT
threads.
That's the DESIRED optimum situation.
Ain't nobody gonna delete the group for lack of politics.

* *Kill file Banquer and the other political trolls.

Kill file yourself and do most of us a favor, Terrell.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/24/2012 01:04 PM, Steve B wrote:
I was getting nagged that my IE was outdated, and that I should download the
newest greatest Google Chrome, which I finally did.

Who was nagging you? A website? Microsoft did not tell you to download
Google Chrome.

Now, it must not have gone in, as I still get the nag message. I'm not fond of it, as it takes me
to BING on a lot of things, and I hate BING.

It takes you to Bing? What is "it"?

I need a little help understanding this. I hear all sorts of bad things
about Google, and IE, and such. I seem not to have all these problems, tho
I am not fond of some things my computer does, like: taking me to Bing,

So, your computer takes you to Bing... Who's in charge, if you aren't
doing it?

where it is impossible to find the article you went there for; taking a long
time up to forever to download some stories and videos, redirecting, etc.

Will downloading Firefox improve my computer life?

No. Because, like Chrome, it won't have "gone in".

Do I have to uninstall IE, and will my computer allow itself to be castrated thusly?

You can't uninstall IE.

Is there a lot of configuring to do afterward?

Not for you there isn't.

OE is ****. You can keep it.

I am somewhat handy on computers, but not sure about setting the things behind the curtain.

Advice appreciated on selecting a browser, news reader, and general computer
setup to make my computing life a little smoother.

This is what you need.
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/genius-babies_2235_128141934

Thanks.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
mike wrote:
[...]

It won't offer you all of the updates, just some.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. wrote:

Thunderbird has a good newsreader in it. BUT the newer versions are
somewhat of a PIA.
You can find the older versions on www.oldversion.com personally I
stopped at version 2 but version 3 isn't hard to alter to be usable.

Thunderbird has problems with really large newsgroups (my newsserver
keeps over a decade of old messages on these groups) and limiting
the history didn't seem to work. So, I now use knode on Linux,
but I'm pretty sure they also have a Windows version. It is
lightning quick, and the historical horizon does work.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:

Steve W. wrote:

Thunderbird has a good newsreader in it. BUT the newer versions are
somewhat of a PIA.
You can find the older versions on www.oldversion.com personally I
stopped at version 2 but version 3 isn't hard to alter to be usable.

Thunderbird has problems with really large newsgroups (my newsserver
keeps over a decade of old messages on these groups) and limiting
the history didn't seem to work. So, I now use knode on Linux,
but I'm pretty sure they also have a Windows version. It is
lightning quick, and the historical horizon does work.

I use Giganews as well, and one newsgroup had over a million messages
since 2003. I had to download the headers in groups of 10,000 with
Netscape 4.80, but got them all.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 14:04:00 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

[...]

This is what Ive been using for over a year so far and its very very
good.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/aurora/

Gunner

1. Lie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Steve W." wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

[snip]

[...]

somewhat of a PITA.
You can find the older versions on www.oldversion.com personally I
stopped at version 2 but version 3 isn't hard to alter to be usable.

I tried Thunderbird, but didn't much like it. Merging handling of email
and newsgroups doesn't actually work that well - each has its own
metaphor.

I prefer MT Newswatcher on the Mac, but Newswatcher has been getting a
bit long in the tooth, not having been updated since 2006, and has been
developing some weird little problems. Currently, I'm playing with
Thoth.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

You can't do Winodws Updates with an out of date version of Internet
Explorer.

Sure you can. I have IE 6 and the only thing it does for updates is
check for the windows installer package.
You can't use a different breed of browser though, without a few add-ons.

It won't offer you all of the updates, just some.

It gives you the updates for everything MS you have installed. Plus any
hardware driver firmware updates, what's left?

It also shows IE security/version updates. Which I don't install because
I don't run IE.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:
Steve W. wrote:

Thunderbird has a good newsreader in it. BUT the newer versions are
somewhat of a PIA.
You can find the older versions on www.oldversion.com personally I
stopped at version 2 but version 3 isn't hard to alter to be usable.

Thunderbird has problems with really large newsgroups (my newsserver
keeps over a decade of old messages on these groups) and limiting
the history didn't seem to work. So, I now use knode on Linux,
but I'm pretty sure they also have a Windows version. It is
lightning quick, and the historical horizon does work.

Jon

Never noticed it, but the servers I use don't keep messages that long.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

You can't do Winodws Updates with an out of date version of Internet
Explorer.

Sure you can. I have IE 6 and the only thing it does for updates is
check for the windows installer package.
You can't use a different breed of browser though, without a few add-ons.

It won't offer you all of the updates, just some.

It gives you the updates for everything MS you have installed. Plus any
hardware driver firmware updates, what's left?

It also shows IE security/version updates. Which I don't install because
I don't run IE.

It won't let me install .net updates without the current version of
IE. All the computers at a local business need .net to run Quickbooks.
Also, some updates were corrupt, but claimed to install OK. That caused
problems installing other updates. Until those were fixed, over 70
other updates weren't offered. I had to remove .net from one computer
and reinstall it because of a corrupt update. Then I had to reinstall
the updates it affected. It took six hours to download and install
everything, but their XP Pro was finally up to date.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"Steve W." wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
[...]

Hmm. Never seen that. .net seems to update just fine. I wonder if it
isn't something to do with QB causing the problem?

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote:

It won't let me install .net updates without the current version of
IE. All the computers at a local business need .net to run Quickbooks.
Also, some updates were corrupt, but claimed to install OK. That caused
problems installing other updates. Until those were fixed, over 70
other updates weren't offered. I had to remove .net from one computer
and reinstall it because of a corrupt update. Then I had to reinstall
the updates it affected. It took six hours to download and install
everything, but their XP Pro was finally up to date.

Hmm. Never seen that. .net seems to update just fine. I wonder if it
isn't something to do with QB causing the problem?

No, I found the information on the Microsoft support website. A bad
update was loaded to their servers, and later replaced with the files
fixed. They had updated three computers that day, and all three had the
same problems. Only two were confgured for Quickbooks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 19:34:41 -0800, mike wrote:

[...]

A LOT of sites are now using html5 - which is not supported by IE8 -
and IE9 will not work on XP
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"Steve W." wrote:
[...]

Corrupt on an MS server?? How would they tell considering how bad some
of the code they write is....

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"Steve W." wrote:
[...]

Thousands of complaints the day it was released, to start with. That
business is between a rock & a hard place. The accounting firm only
accepts raw data from Quickbooks, and the only affordable version
requires .net. The SQL database version will run under Linux, but costs
a hell of a lot more.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 24, 1:03 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Yeah, like it would die without you...................

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"mike" wrote

If that's the alternative, please let it die.
Politics is choking the life out of it.
There's nothing wrong with a group that has few RELEVANT
threads.
That's the DESIRED optimum situation.
Ain't nobody gonna delete the group for lack of politics.

I can come here and ask when I need information, and that's the purpose of a
NG anyway. So, I'll put up with the putzes.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 24, 1:03 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

It might. It might not.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Kill file Banquer and the other political trolls.

Kill file yourself and do most of us a favor, Terrell.

Do us all a favor and kill yourself, Terrell...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Kill file Banquer and the other political trolls.

Kill file yourself and do most of us a favor, Terrell.

Once again, you show your never ending stupidity. All that would so
would be to save me having to mark my posts as read on my computer.

Do us all a favor and kill yourself, Terrell...

Go drill another hole on your head, precision weenie.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Kill file Banquer and the other political trolls.

Kill file yourself and do most of us a favor, Terrell.

* *Once again, you show your never ending stupidity. *All that would so
would be to save me having to mark my posts as read on my computer.

Do us all a favor and kill yourself, Terrell...

* *Go drill another hole on your head, precision weenie.

Never ending stupidity starts with you not being able to maintain your
buildings, Terrell. You're not just physically handicapped your
severely mentally handicapped as well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 20:31:45 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

"Steve W." wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"Steve W." wrote:
[...]

If the "accounting" firm only accepts quickbooks data, get a new
"accountant". One with a real accounting designation.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-11-24, Steve B wrote:

This appeared again, even though it was dated from about a week
ago.

I was getting nagged that my IE was outdated, and that I should download the
newest greatest Google Chrome, which I finally did. Now, it must not have
gone in, as I still get the nag message. I'm not fond of it, as it takes me
to BING on a lot of things, and I hate BING.

If it was claiming that your IE was outdated, and was pushing
Chrome instead, it was not from your computer -- it was from the web
pages which you were visiting, trying to force you to change browsers.

Now -- you've downloaded and installed Chrome -- but are you
actually *using* Chrome when you get those messages, or still using IE?

I consider getting away from IE to be a good thing, but I'm not
sure that Chrome is any better -- different weaknesses and nasty things
being done.

I need a little help understanding this. I hear all sorts of bad things
about Google, and IE, and such. I seem not to have all these problems,

How would you know? Most of the undesirable things are hidden
beneath the surface -- the tracking, the ability of a web site to
install a virus, and the other things. You would not see them
happening, just (somewhat later) the effects of that -- likely when you
are not even using the browser.

tho
I am not fond of some things my computer does, like: taking me to Bing,
where it is impossible to find the article you went there for; taking a long
time up to forever to download some stories and videos, redirecting, etc.

The "taking you to Bing" is likely to be something programmed
into the web page where you are clicking -- or a web page is modifying
your preferences to say that you prefer Bing -- even though you
apparently don't. This is a problem with both browsers -- the ability
to change preferences without asking your permission.

Will downloading Firefox improve my computer life? Do I have to uninstall
IE, and will my computer allow itself to be castrated thusly? Is there a
lot of configuring to do afterward? Do I have to get rid of OE, and
download a new news program, or does the installation of Firefox fix all
that? I am somewhat handy on computers, but not sure about setting the
things behind the curtain.

The only way to get rid of OE, is to get rid of Windows -- use
some other OS, such as one of the Linux or BSD flavors. Probably
something like Ubuntu might be the best from your point of view. Now, I
*can't* run either IE nor Chrome on my systems. They don't make them to
run on Sun's Solaris on an UltraSPARC CPU -- and I *still* have (in the
past) gotten things trying to get me to "upgrade" from IE to Chrome, so
I know that those are bogus, as I can't have IE to upgrade *from*. :-)

Advice appreciated on selecting a browser, news reader, and general computer
setup to make my computing life a little smoother.

Change the OS to some unix flavor (the Linux or BSD mentioned
above) so you *can't* run either of the programs in question. (Hmm ...
maybe Chrome is available to run on some flavors of linux running on
Intel hardware (what Windows runs on), but you don't have to use it.

Newsreader choice is very personal. I like slrn (which
*requires* a unix flavor). Others have other preferences. Bear in mind
that I *don't* like Windows at all -- any version thereof. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Computer CPU & powersupply questions Dave Electronics Repair 10 May 26th 12 05:06 AM
computer ? JP Home Repair 1 August 14th 08 02:15 AM
Getting An Enclosed Trailer...Questions, Questions, Questions Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 30 December 30th 07 06:19 PM
After the Deletion of Google Answers U Got Questions Fills the Gap Answering and Asking the Tough Questions [email protected] UK diy 0 May 7th 07 06:40 PM
After the Deletion of Google Answers U Got Questions Fills the Gap Answering and Asking the Tough Questions Linux Flash Drives Home Repair 0 May 7th 07 06:38 PM