Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Computer questions

"Steve W." wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
mike wrote:
On 11/24/2012 1:04 PM, Steve B wrote:
I was getting nagged that my IE was outdated, and that I should download the
newest greatest Google Chrome, which I finally did. Now, it must not have
gone in, as I still get the nag message. I'm not fond of it, as it takes me
to BING on a lot of things, and I hate BING.

I need a little help understanding this. I hear all sorts of bad things
about Google, and IE, and such. I seem not to have all these problems, tho
I am not fond of some things my computer does, like: taking me to Bing,
where it is impossible to find the article you went there for; taking a long
time up to forever to download some stories and videos, redirecting, etc.

Will downloading Firefox improve my computer life? Do I have to uninstall
IE, and will my computer allow itself to be castrated thusly? Is there a
lot of configuring to do afterward? Do I have to get rid of OE, and
download a new news program, or does the installation of Firefox fix all
that? I am somewhat handy on computers, but not sure about setting the
things behind the curtain.

Advice appreciated on selecting a browser, news reader, and general computer
setup to make my computing life a little smoother.

Thanks.

Steve

Might be helpful to mention the OS version you're using and how old the
IE is...in the proper browser newsgroup.
Sometimes, it's helpful to upgrade IE even if you don't use it.
Sometimes, it makes things worse.
Other programs use dlls that get installed with IE.

You can't do Winodws Updates with an out of date version of Internet
Explorer.

Sure you can. I have IE 6 and the only thing it does for updates is
check for the windows installer package.
You can't use a different breed of browser though, without a few add-ons.

It won't offer you all of the updates, just some.