Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Computer CPU & powersupply questions

Have a desktop computer (Compaq Presario SR1522X) that keeps locking up
after the screensaver comes on, and occasionally reboots for no reason.
Pulled the powersupply (Bestec ATX-250-12Z-RevD2) but didn't see anything
like swollen capacitors or toasted components. Put it back in and checked
the +5V. +5V is sitting at 5.16, and I did not find any adjustment pots
while I had the thing open. Believing I have a flaky powersupply, I am
about to order a new one, but have to ask... Do they not build the ability
to adjust voltages into computer powersupplies these days? Or is it just
this computer? It's almost 10 years old, but we've never really had any
problems with it. I did replace the filter caps for the +5V about five
years ago, cause the device would not boot and they were swollen, but that's
it. Is a new PS my only real option at this point? Any help is
appreciated...

Thanks,

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 25 May 12 at group /sci/electronics/repair in article
(Ken) wrote:

Seeing your voltages within 10% of rated
voltage is generally OK. Certainly having 5.16v for the 5v bus is not
a problem.

Old TTL Specs say 5%V +-5%, that`s 4,75V .. 5,25V! So 5,16V is ok.

Depends how (idle or full load) and where you measured it.

Saludos Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Allinger 15h00..21h00 MEZ: SKYPE:wolfgang.allinger
Paraguay mailer: CrossPoint XP 3.20 (XP2) in WinXPprof DOSbox
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave wrote:
[...]

Dave,

It sounds like you are guessing at what MIGHT be wrong. That can cost
you a lot of money. It could be your RAM that is flaky based upon your
symptoms as well as a failing PS. I would do a RAM test for at least a
half hour to see if it found anything. If that was OK, I would borrow a
PS of at least the same wattage and see if that solved the problem.

There are of course some things you could do that you did not mention:
Remove the RAM and clean the gold contacts with alcohol before
reinstalling it. Also, is the processor heat sink filled with dust? Or
is it clean? If it is clean, is the processor fan running at full speed?

How sound is the hard drive? You might run a diagnostic from the maker
to see if it finds anything. If it were me, I would narrow down the
failing component before I bought parts.

Finally, to answer your question about adjustments for the PS. Most do
not have such adjustment. Seeing your voltages within 10% of rated
voltage is generally OK. Certainly having 5.16v for the 5v bus is not a
problem.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Have

On Friday, May 25, 2012 10:29:01 AM UTC-5, Dave wrote:
[...]

Have you added any software/hardware lately? It may not be playing nice with your display drivers. Check for an updated driver from the card/MB manufacture.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On May 25, 11:29*am, "Dave" wrote:
Have a desktop computer (Compaq Presario SR1522X) that keeps locking up
after the screensaver comes on, and occasionally reboots for no reason.
Pulled the powersupply (Bestec ATX-250-12Z-RevD2) *but didn't see anything
like swollen capacitors or toasted components.

Bestec definitely isn't the best stuff around. I've replaced quite a
few Bestecs (and entire PCs that were fried by them). The newer
Bestecs are known for dying spectacularly. Not sure about the older
ones. The voltage you measured for the +5v rail is fine.

As for your issue, do what Ken said and check the RAM first. I've seen
several systems where the RAM was the issue, despite it acting like a
power supply problem. Pull the RAM, blow out the sockets, and clean
the contacts. Test it with a program like memtest86.

Also, when you say it reboots for no reason, is it just rebooting, or
is it actually bluescreening and rebooting before you can see the
error? Systems can crash and restart fast enough to hide the BSOD,
especially if dumps are disabled. Check for a message in the event
log. You can also disable the automatic restart (the setting is in
System Properties, under "Startup and Recovery" on the Advanced tab).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

In article merica,
"Dave" wrote:

[...]

It's probably not the power supply.

Download the version of Ubuntu that can run off a CD, make a CD per
their instructions, and boot off it. (Not to switch to Ubuntu, but just
to see if it runs properly) if Ubuntu runs for a while with no problems,
then your hardware is almost certainly not your problem.

Isaac
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Bob_Villa" wrote in message
[...]

Have never added anything to the CPU. Only thing relatively new is a
super-multi R/W DVD drive. And it's probably five years old. Beginning to
think that the problem is actually software related. Only happens when the
screen saver is active. I still ordered a replacement power supply, just
cause I've heard that Bestec ATX250's are known to occasionally have
problems, and I would like to have a replacement on hand.

Thanks,

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 25 May 2012 10:29:01 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

Have a desktop computer (Compaq Presario SR1522X) that keeps locking up
after the screensaver comes on, and occasionally reboots for no reason.

I would also suspect a bad power supply, but it might be useful to
check the hardware first. Download and burn a CD with MEMTEST86+ or
MEMTEST86 (they're NOT the same):
http://www.memtest.org
http://www.memtest86.com
Boot the CD and let it run for several hours. If you get any errors,
or any type, including hangs, you have something sick on the
motherboard. If you get random errors, and you still suspect the PS,
go find another PS and just hang it outboard from the case. Then, try
memtest again and see if replacing the PS helps.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"nvic" wrote in message
On May 25, 11:29 am, "Dave" wrote:
[...]

Am currently testing the RAM using memtest86. It's been running for a
little over an hour with no errors at this point, and I may leave it running
overnight (thanks for that clue about a good RAM test. Found it on CNET,
and already love it.)

It does not appear to be bluescreeing or displaying an error. I was looking
right at when it restarted one time, and thee was no delay. Looked like a
power on reset to me, which is why I thought of the power supply. That, and
the fact that once before the +5V went out on me.

I haven't yet pulled the RAM or cleaned the connectors, BTW. Wanted to test
it as is first. Will let you know what it comes up with.

Thanks.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"isw" wrote in message
]...
In article merica,
"Dave" wrote:

[...]

Hey Isaac,

Will have to check that out. Thanks for the pointer. Did download a copy
of Burn-in Test Stadard off of CNET, and will give that a try at some point.
Thinking more and more that it's a software problem though.

Thanks.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 25 May 2012 22:55:01 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

I still ordered a replacement power supply, just
cause I've heard that Bestec ATX250's are known to occasionally have
problems, and I would like to have a replacement on hand.

Argh! The Bestec ATX250-12E was used in eMachines between about 2002
and 2004. Their track record was dismal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTaqfwf3lEI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wItq_T52hdM
The author of the first video claims that other model power supplies
are OK, but that hasn't been my experience. I've lost one or two
ATX250-12Z power supplies, which is what you probably have in your
Compaq.

Could I trouble you to supply the full power supply part number
instead of truncating it?

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#