Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default eternal september vs: aioe

I am having problems with my aioe news server. Lots of times says cannot
connect to server. Did a restore. No good.

Downloaded eternal september. Followed bouncing ball, and set up user name
and password. Not sure about how to use it, as when I click the newsgroup
icon, I get a list of strange things like .config, .info, .grouprequests,
well, you know if you use eternal september.

What am I doing wrong, or what do I need to do to get this working? Am set
on port 119 as suggested.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
I am having problems with my aioe news server. Lots of times says
cannot connect to server. Did a restore. No good.

Downloaded eternal september. Followed bouncing ball, and set up
user name and password. Not sure about how to use it, as when I
click the newsgroup icon, I get a list of strange things like
.config, .info, .grouprequests, well, you know if you use eternal
september.

What am I doing wrong, or what do I need to do to get this working?
Am set on port 119 as suggested.
Steve

I forgot how I set it up but it wasn't hard. I click an OE desktop
shortcut, then one of the newsgroups I added under
news.eternal-september.org.

Clicking news.eternal-september.org. brings up a Newsgroup
Subscriptions box with all groups listed, beginning with
24hoursupport.helpdesk and then 3dfx.*.

The ES server isn't all that reliable either.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Steve wrote in message
[...]

Not sure but I think you have to register and go through some process
the first time.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"F Murtz" wrote in message
nd.com...
Jim Wilkins wrote:
I forgot how I set it up but it wasn't hard. jsw

Not sure but I think you have to register and go through some
process the first time.

Since I run old, deteriorating IDE hard drives in this laptop I keep a
detailed log (elsewhere) of everything I do to the computer that isn't
immediately obvious from on-screen prompts. The entry for Eternal
September registration shows only my UserID and password.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
I am having problems with my aioe news server. Lots of times says
cannot connect to server. Did a restore. No good.

Downloaded eternal september. Followed bouncing ball, and set up
user name and password. Not sure about how to use it, as when I
click the newsgroup icon, I get a list of strange things like
.config, .info, .grouprequests, well, you know if you use eternal
september.
What am I doing wrong, or what do I need to do to get this working? Am set
on port 119 as suggested.

Steve

I use e-s on this comp as a backup for when teranews' free servers are
down . You DO have to register , but after that it'll download a ng list and
you can subscribe just like any other server . FWIW I prefer tera because
they carry more binary groups . Free service is free after a $3.95
activation/setup fee ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps