Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to operate a Bobcat S300

Need to know by Monday, we need to figure out enough about it to drive
a Bobcat S300 on a trailer. I looked up online and found only junk and webspams.

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 17:51:03 -0500, Ignoramus26166 wrote:

Need to know by Monday, we need to figure out enough about it to drive a
Bobcat S300 on a trailer. I looked up online and found only junk and
webspams.

Thanks

Probably similar to the S250, yes?
www.martelcohire.com.au/documents/s250bobcat.pdf

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus26166" wrote in message
Need to know by Monday, we need to figure out enough about it to drive
a Bobcat S300 on a trailer. I looked up online and found only junk and
webspams.

Thanks

Just like any other piece of equipment, Ig. Fire it up, and start playing
with the controls. Five minutes, and I'd say you could drive it good enough
to get it on a trailer. Find the lift of the bucket, and raise that a
quarter to a third for loading, then just find left, right, forward,
backwards. If it has joysticks, it takes a very light touch. I like the
old lever actions, as you can tell how much pressure, and when it jumps, it
doesn't cause your joystick hand to push hard and away ye go.

I'm having fun with my Montana 4344 backhoe and front end loader. Except
being a little jerky, it took me just about half a day to get the hang of
the backhoe so I didn't break any more trees, fence posts, or helpers.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus26166 fired this volley
in :

Need to know by Monday, we need to figure out enough about it to drive
a Bobcat S300 on a trailer. I looked up online and found only junk and
webspams.

Brace your arms against your ribcage if you're a beginner, lest you get
into P.I.O. I don't like the two-lever Bobcat controls. The joystick on
ASV or CAT (with ASV controls) is like a second set of hands, but a lot
of folks (including experienced operators) can get into oscillations with
the BobCat two-lever system. I've had two experienced contractors (one
of whom does nothing _but_ run his BobCat commercially) dump traditional
BobCats on my property -- one in the front ditch, and one in the pond.

OTOH, I just love my two-lever Scag mower, so I think it has more to do
with relative "wheelbase" and center of gravity.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" fired this volley in
:

I like the
old lever actions, as you can tell how much pressure, and when it
jumps, it doesn't cause your joystick hand to push hard and away ye
go.

the ASV/Cat control has an elbow rest built into the control so that cannot
happen.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Ignoramus26166" wrote in message
Need to know by Monday, we need to figure out enough about it to drive
a Bobcat S300 on a trailer. I looked up online and found only junk and
webspams.

Thanks

You get in, close the door, fasten seat belt, lower the bar. Hopefully there
will be no combination set, if so, you'll need a code. There's a button to
start the loader and another button to enable the hydraulics. Raise the
bucket with the left foot pedal, tilt the bucket with the right. There may
be a "Rabbit Mode" fast switch on one of the levers, if so, put it in slow.
Very gently ease both levers forward to go straight, if you want to turn
left, push the right lever more than the left. The throttle lever is on the
right hand side, halfway will be fine for starting out.

Keep all appendages inside the cage and turn the loader off before getting
out to avoid possible decapitation. The following instructions are OK,
except yours probably won't have an ignition key:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7310949_inst...operation.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 18:21:37 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Brace your arms against your ribcage if you're a beginner, lest you get
into P.I.O.

Yes, and *back* up onto the trailer. Heavy end up so unless you are taking a
full bucket of dirt with you means backing up inclines.

I don't like the two-lever Bobcat controls. The joystick on
ASV or CAT (with ASV controls) is like a second set of hands,

OMC Mustangs were similar with a "T" stick. Rental place I bought my (sadly
long dead) one from said "The contractors love it because they can drive with
one hand and drink beer with the other." Or something like that... Has been 20
years.

but a lot
of folks (including experienced operators) can get into oscillations with
the BobCat two-lever system. I've had two experienced contractors (one
of whom does nothing _but_ run his BobCat commercially) dump traditional
BobCats on my property -- one in the front ditch, and one in the pond.

Smaller machines bounce a lot worse than larger ones.
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-08-13, ATP wrote:

[...]

OK, thanks, this is great.

How do I lower the bucket after raising?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus26166 fired this volley in
:

How do I lower the bucket after raising?

left pedal; raise & lower

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-08-13, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus26166 fired this volley in
:

How do I lower the bucket after raising?

left pedal; raise & lower

Lloyd, thanks. I think tht I am getting it. I did drive another skid
steer half a year ago, and now I recall that it was similar.

I bought a bobcat with a bunch of other equipment, such as a asphalt
roller, from a distressed company.

What I want to do is to use this bobcat on my property to grade the
road behind my building and get rid of deep potholes, make a concrete
pad in front etc. Once I am done I will, probably, sell the bobcat.

The only plus of a bobcat that I see, for my business, is that in
winter it can move snow around to clear paths to use pallet racks
etc. A truck can only push snow, and a bobcat can remove it. But is it
worth the price of a bobcat, I am not so sure.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 22:01:04 -0500, Ignoramus26166 wrote:

(...)

The only plus of a bobcat that I see, for my business, is that in winter
it can move snow around to clear paths to use pallet racks etc. A truck
can only push snow, and a bobcat can remove it. But is it worth the
price of a bobcat, I am not so sure.

Check back in with us after you've driven around in a cloud
of diesel exhaust for half a day.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
"Steve B" fired this volley in
:

I like the
old lever actions, as you can tell how much pressure, and when it
jumps, it doesn't cause your joystick hand to push hard and away ye
go.

the ASV/Cat control has an elbow rest built into the control so that
cannot
happen.

LLoyd

I have run both models, and maybe it's just me, but I find the hand control
models to be a little touchier. Maybe I just didn't have enough time on the
machine. I did notice they do wheelie easily. The joy stick models, that
is.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" fired this volley in news:k0a2ro$2ff$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

hand control
models to be a little touchier.

"Sensitive", yes. They are less prone, though, to "pilot-induced
oscillations" - the "P.I.O" I mentioned earlier. When you've got an
arm's-reach-both-hands-on grip on the levers, and some sudden
acceleration or deceleration happens, your body rocks, and your hands
follow your body.

When that happens, the lever-action machines can get into an ever-
amplifying fore-aft rocking motion that ends up with the thing on its ass
or lying on the bucket.

Once you get an hour or two under your belt with the joy control of an
ASV, that will never happen. Your driving arm is 'anchored' in the arm
rest at the elbow, and everything is done by wrist action. When your
body moves, it pivots at the elbow and shoulder, and your hand stays
still over the stick position.

FWIW, most BobCat operators eventually learn to hover their hands, and
let the body articulate without moving the hands -- but it's a highly
practiced, deft maneuver. During the construction boom here in Florida,
hardly a week went by that I didn't see a BobCat somewhere resting on its
nose. I don't think I have ever seen an ASV or Cat like that, although
I've seen a few in ditches.

One of the ASVs even has a tilt-sensing thingy that rapidly moves the
bucket down if the machine is about to tip over forward.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Ignoramus26166 fired this volley in
:

How do I lower the bucket after raising?

left pedal; raise & lower

Lloyd

The key thing with the foot pedals is to press your whole foot down on
the pedal and rock it. If you try to push on the top or bottom of the
pedal you will have near zero control.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
[...]

I am sure the new ones have more safety features. Do they also have just
the hand throttles? I found that to be a problem, as you have to set the
throttle to a constant setting, and not be able to vary it in need with what
you're doing.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, August 12, 2012 6:51:03 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus26166 wrote:
Need to know by Monday, we need to figure out enough about it to drive

a Bobcat S300 on a trailer. I looked up online and found only junk and webspams.

Thanks

OK, it's Monday. Have you done this yet? If so, how did it go? If not, have someone make a video and post it to youtube so we can watch the carnage (I mean success).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" fired this volley in
:

Do they also have just
the hand throttles? I found that to be a problem, as you have to set
the throttle to a constant setting, and not be able to vary it in need
with what you're doing.

I don't understand why, with motoring spool valves on all the controls,
why you'd need to vary the engine speed.

You set it for the necessary power to push or dig or carry what you need,
and you leave it alone. Speed (of every motion) is controlled by how far
you push its respective control.

The motor is just there for the power source. Once it's going 'fast
enough' you can go slower - on everything - than max if you wish without
changing the motor's speed.

That's true of all skid-steers, as far as I know.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
"Steve B" fired this volley in
:

Do they also have just
the hand throttles? I found that to be a problem, as you have to set
the throttle to a constant setting, and not be able to vary it in need
with what you're doing.

I don't understand why, with motoring spool valves on all the controls,
why you'd need to vary the engine speed.

You set it for the necessary power to push or dig or carry what you need,
and you leave it alone. Speed (of every motion) is controlled by how far
you push its respective control.

The motor is just there for the power source. Once it's going 'fast
enough' you can go slower - on everything - than max if you wish without
changing the motor's speed.

That's true of all skid-steers, as far as I know.

LLoyd

I know, and it is one of the things I dislike about skid steers. On my
backhoe, I can either run it by foot control, or control that holds a steady
rpm. When you want to ease into something, it is easier than having to have
to regulate your speed all the time. I've run a lot of equipment, including
large cranes, and I always like to control the speed of the motor, even if
it is blocking it at one speed. It just gives ME a better sense of touch,
and at the necessary times, slows things down, and avoids herky jerky
movements.

But that's just me.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Everything worked out great, I drove it on, drove it off, etc. I have
a few projects near my warehouse, such as gravel road regrading, fill
potholes, replace asphalt with concrete etc. I will use this bobcat,
and then, eventually will sell it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Ignoramus15998" wrote in message
Everything worked out great, I drove it on, drove it off, etc. I have
a few projects near my warehouse, such as gravel road regrading, fill
potholes, replace asphalt with concrete etc. I will use this bobcat,
and then, eventually will sell it.

Ig, when you are doing final grading in reverse with the bucket tilted as a
rake, push the left pedal all the way down until it clicks and stays down
and engage "float" mode. The arms will float and will not go up and down as
the grade changes. At that point you're only working with the weight of the
bucket and arms so you can't move as much material but it will smooth out
better.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus15998" wrote in message
Everything worked out great, I drove it on, drove it off, etc. I have
a few projects near my warehouse, such as gravel road regrading, fill
potholes, replace asphalt with concrete etc. I will use this bobcat,
and then, eventually will sell it.

Just keep moving. They will dig a hole FAST, then you got more work. Is it
a track, or wheels? Do a lot by backdragging, as with the short wheelbase,
it is easy for it to dig in, resulting in a hole that needs to be fixed.
You'll figger it out. I predict you will own it longer than you think.
Avoid your first impulse to sell it, and see if you use it before your
second impulse, and remember that if you ever need one, you will have to go
rent it.

Put it out for rent. They'll thrash it, but you'll make enough to keep it
up. Get a hefty deposit.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP" wrote in message

"Ignoramus15998" wrote in message
Everything worked out great, I drove it on, drove it off, etc. I have
a few projects near my warehouse, such as gravel road regrading, fill
potholes, replace asphalt with concrete etc. I will use this bobcat,
and then, eventually will sell it.

Ig, when you are doing final grading in reverse with the bucket tilted as
a rake, push the left pedal all the way down until it clicks and stays
down and engage "float" mode. The arms will float and will not go up and
down as the grade changes. At that point you're only working with the
weight of the bucket and arms so you can't move as much material but it
will smooth out better.

What he said ............

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-08-13, ATP wrote:

"Ignoramus15998" wrote in message
Everything worked out great, I drove it on, drove it off, etc. I have
a few projects near my warehouse, such as gravel road regrading, fill
potholes, replace asphalt with concrete etc. I will use this bobcat,
and then, eventually will sell it.

Ig, when you are doing final grading in reverse with the bucket tilted as a
rake, push the left pedal all the way down until it clicks and stays down
and engage "float" mode. The arms will float and will not go up and down as
the grade changes. At that point you're only working with the weight of the
bucket and arms so you can't move as much material but it will smooth out
better.

Thanks, this is great. Do you know what the little switches on the
joysticks do?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/12/2012 3:51 PM, Ignoramus26166 wrote:
Need to know by Monday, we need to figure out enough about it to drive
a Bobcat S300 on a trailer. I looked up online and found only junk and webspams.

Thanks

Does the seat belt work?

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-08-13, ATP wrote:

"Ignoramus15998" wrote in message
Everything worked out great, I drove it on, drove it off, etc. I have
a few projects near my warehouse, such as gravel road regrading, fill
potholes, replace asphalt with concrete etc. I will use this bobcat,
and then, eventually will sell it.

Ig, when you are doing final grading in reverse with the bucket tilted as
rake, push the left pedal all the way down until it clicks and stays down
and engage "float" mode. The arms will float and will not go up and down
as
the grade changes. At that point you're only working with the weight of
the
bucket and arms so you can't move as much material but it will smooth out
better.

Thanks, this is great. Do you know what the little switches on the
joysticks do?

They operate auxiliary hydraulics, for example a snowblower or the optional
Quick-tach system that pulls the pins in and out hydraulically. Also the
fast transport mode if so equipped.

Sharp 27n-s300 random shutdown alllw Electronics Repair 0 July 27th 06 05:51 PM
Sony DVP S300 - distorted pic and sound RichK Electronics Repair 3 January 23rd 06 07:19 PM
Laser pickup ass'y for Sony HCD-S300 CD/DVD Player Markus Electronics Repair 1 October 29th 05 05:50 PM
Sharp 27c-s300 dea Electronics Repair 0 April 11th 05 01:58 AM
Sharp 27C-S300 Horizontal line only bem Electronics Repair 7 December 9th 04 02:32 AM