bem

Default Sharp 27C-S300 Horizontal line only

Looking for help here. The picture fluttered for several days from being
fine to a horizontal line accross the center of the screen. A full picture
would generally be restored upon turning the set off for a while. From my
reading the first thing I should do is replace the capacitors on the
vertical board, but frankly, I can't really read the darn things and have
no way of translating what the heck items such as "C509" are on the
internal sheet. Can someone out there provide a cross reference for me?
(And any advice is greatly appreciated, I tinker in electronics - I am not
a professional).

I would normally take the set into a shop and let them do it, but because
of finances this set has sat on the floor collecting dust for a year - the
family needs the $ more than I need to watch a TV, but I would like to
make it work rather than throw it out.

Respectfully,
-Bruce

sofie

bem:
Actually, the symptoms you described are not necessarily (and probably NOT)
caused by faulty capacitors.
If the set still works OK and intermittently goes to a Horizontal Line only
then the problem may be cracked, cold, or otherwise bad solder
connections.... HOWEVER, if the set no longer produces a full picture but
just a horizontal line all of the time, then you have waited too long and
other more expensive parts have failed and you WILL have to take it to a
repair shop for proper diagnosis, troubleshooting and repair.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"bem" wrote in message
lkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
[...]

handyman20

Replacw the Horizontal output transistor and it will work like a new
one. About $15.00

James Sweet

"handyman20" wrote in message
oups.com...
Replacw the Horizontal output transistor and it will work like a new
one. About $15.00

Huh? No, don't touch the horizontal output transistor, there's nothing wrong
with it, he's got a horizontal line so horizontal (and the linked HV) is
obviously working just fine.

Resolder the joints at and around the *vertical* output IC, it should be
mounted on a heatsink near the middle or front corner of the main PCB.

Things like "C501" refer to the location number stamped on the board, C is a
capacitor, Q is usually a transistor, IC is an IC, etc. They're grouped by
location, so for example C501 is usually located somewhere near R503, C507,
etc.

J. Doe

sofie wrote:
ABSOLUTELY and TOTALLY WRONG ADVICE

as is most of handywipes advice...........