Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What industrial air quick connects

We have finally hooked up our air compressor to the existing air
piping in my factory.

The bad news is that the existing connectors are either missing, or
old and leaking. I would like to replace them all with something new.
I would need, say, a dozen of them and I wanted to get something that
can last me for a while.

I prefer "industrial type" connectors, where should I buy them, thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 17:45:27 -0500, Ignoramus29973
wrote:

We have finally hooked up our air compressor to the existing air
piping in my factory.

The bad news is that the existing connectors are either missing, or
old and leaking. I would like to replace them all with something new.
I would need, say, a dozen of them and I wanted to get something that
can last me for a while.

I prefer "industrial type" connectors, where should I buy them, thanks

don't mess around, use mcmaster carr
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-qu...plings/=hvntjt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus29973" wrote in message
We have finally hooked up our air compressor to the existing air
piping in my factory.

The bad news is that the existing connectors are either missing, or
old and leaking. I would like to replace them all with something new.
I would need, say, a dozen of them and I wanted to get something that
can last me for a while.

I prefer "industrial type" connectors, where should I buy them, thanks

I have been using and am happy with Milton, i have some that are
40 years old and they still work great. They are not cheap but are
worth the extra cost.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"azotic" fired this volley in news:jqrciq$mpv$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

I have been using and am happy with Milton, i have some that are
40 years old and they still work great. They are not cheap but are
worth the extra cost.

But DO buy the brass ones, and in the "standard industrial" style. They'll
fit almost everything that says it's compatible.

OTOH, the cheap knock-offs often do not fit other fittings well.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

.70...
"azotic" fired this volley in news:jqrciq$mpv$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

I have been using and am happy with Milton, i have some that are
40 years old and they still work great. They are not cheap but are
worth the extra cost.

But DO buy the brass ones, and in the "standard industrial" style.
They'll
fit almost everything that says it's compatible.

OTOH, the cheap knock-offs often do not fit other fittings well.

Lloyd

The brass ones are the way to go.

You can get them wholesale in chicago at B.E. Atlas Co.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"azotic" wrote in message
Ignoramus29973" wrote in message
We have finally hooked up our air compressor to the existing air
piping in my factory.

The bad news is that the existing connectors are either missing, or
old and leaking. I would like to replace them all with something new.
I would need, say, a dozen of them and I wanted to get something that
can last me for a while.

I prefer "industrial type" connectors, where should I buy them, thanks

I have been using and am happy with Milton, i have some that are
40 years old and they still work great. They are not cheap but are
worth the extra cost.

In my Dad's hardware store and later when I worked at Tool & Supply I sold
literally thousands of the Milton quick couples in brass. (Probably more
like tens of thousands). We had commercial and industrial customers who
were as adamant about buying brass Milton couplers as other industrial
customers were about only buying Lennox saw blades.

We used to keep a handful of cheap steel couplers on hand for those people
who were too cheap to buy the Miltons, but we didn't sell many.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-07, Ignoramus29973 wrote:
We have finally hooked up our air compressor to the existing air
piping in my factory.

The bad news is that the existing connectors are either missing, or
old and leaking. I would like to replace them all with something new.
I would need, say, a dozen of them and I wanted to get something that
can last me for a while.

I prefer "industrial type" connectors, where should I buy them, thanks

Well ... from time to time, MSC puts out batches of them as
sets in their sales flyers.

Starting in the "Super Savers" flyer dated through 7/14/12 on
the bottom left of page 45 is a three-piece set -- one female and two
male for $5.99. One male and the female have a male pipe thread, and
the other has a female pipe thread. All 1/4" NPT.

At the top right of the same page are individual connectors,
with price breaks at 10 and 50. Two different series, (ARO and
"Industrial Interchange") and various choices of pipe thread on each,
with different prices depending on the style and gender. The latter
style is probably what you want. (BTW, I try to keep a separate coiled
hose and connectors for oil-free applications like paint guns, and let
the oil for the tools contaminate the coiled hoses with the more common
style.

The next page has "Industrial Interchange" all in brass, but
without quantity pricing shown. These are various styles varying
between pipe threads and barbs for raw connection to the hose.

Then the "Maintenance and Repair" flyer (dated through 7/7/12)
has (on page 34 at the bottom sets of five brass females with 1/4" male
or female pipe threads "Industrial/Milton" type for $16.99 per set (of
five) and steel plugs in sets of 10 for $9.99 for female pipe threads,
or $8.99 for male pipe threads. This might be the place to go. Perhaps
get three sets of five of the females so you have spares if they start
to go bad, and how many sets of the males would depend on how many tools
and hoses you need to connect to them.

Of course there are other places, and likely some cheaper, but
MSC is quick (one day delivery to me) and the price does not appear to
be a killer.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/7/2012 6:45 PM, Ignoramus29973 wrote:
We have finally hooked up our air compressor to the existing air
piping in my factory.

The bad news is that the existing connectors are either missing, or
old and leaking. I would like to replace them all with something new.
I would need, say, a dozen of them and I wanted to get something that
can last me for a while.

I prefer "industrial type" connectors, where should I buy them, thanks

What goes bad??? -the rubber seals! I made a punch and die and make a
big batch of seals every five years or so. It takes about 3 minutes to
replace the seals. There are a couple dozen in the drawer that are
ready to go so they get switched with the leakers. Most of my
connectors are over 40 years old. After closing, I'll walk around with
a can of spray paint and mark the leakers. I have about 300 in the shop.

I found that 1/8" silicone rubber sheet used for heat sealer trays works
great, I just have it on hand, something else might work better. In any
case, save your money!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

We have finally hooked up our air compressor to the existing air
piping in my factory.

The bad news is that the existing connectors are either missing, or
old and leaking. I would like to replace them all with something new.
I would need, say, a dozen of them and I wanted to get something that
can last me for a while.

I prefer "industrial type" connectors, where should I buy them, thanks

Northerntool.com has a good selection of Milton, at reasonable $$$. I
find the Type V high flow fittings work well on my air tools.

Bob
rgentry at oz dot net
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus29973 writes:

We have finally hooked up our air compressor to the existing air
piping in my factory.

Is it steel pipe?
Or more bluntly; it's *not* PVC, is it?
--
A host is a host from coast to

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 7, 4:45*pm, Ignoramus29973 ignoramus29...@NOSPAM.
29973.invalid wrote:
We have finally hooked up our air compressor to the existing air
piping in my factory.

The bad news is that the existing connectors are either missing, or
old and leaking. I would like to replace them all with something new.
I would need, say, a dozen of them and I wanted to get something that
can last me for a while.

I prefer "industrial type" connectors, where should I buy them, thanks

There are at least 4 different and non-interchangeable pneumatic quick-
connect systems out there, Milton makes them all. What they sell as
the "M"-type is what I use, which is NOT what comes as a freebie end
with cheapie-chink air tools. Most of the industrial surplus I've
seen has had the Lincoln-type ends on it(MIlton's "L"-type), which has
a long tubular stem with a locking bulge in the middle. When I
started accumulating air tools, I got what the local hardware store
had on the pegs, which was Milton and "M"-style. I don't think
there's a whole lot of difference in performance among the various
types, get what you can buy locally and easily. You don't want to
have to wait on an order to be making up whips and attaching air tools
when you're in production. One handy thing to have is Milton's multi-
standard female connector attached to a short whip and a selection of
different style male ends, can save the day when using somebody else's
air tool(s) on a foreign air source. I think some of the factories
use an obscure connector just to keep tools from walking.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-08, David Lesher wrote:
Ignoramus29973 writes:

We have finally hooked up our air compressor to the existing air
piping in my factory.

Is it steel pipe?
Or more bluntly; it's *not* PVC, is it?

Iggy *knows* better than that -- from reading here for years if
not from other reasons.

And this was a commercial installation -- pre existing his
ownership of the building, and presumably subject to OSHA inspections.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-08, David Lesher wrote:
Ignoramus29973 writes:

We have finally hooked up our air compressor to the existing air
piping in my factory.

Is it steel pipe?
Or more bluntly; it's *not* PVC, is it?

All steel pipe, 1/2 inch.

Regarding fittings, we scrounged some good used Miltons, we will be
using them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-08, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
[...]

Those leaks cost you a huge amount of money!!!!!!!!!!1

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/8/2012 10:24 PM, Ignoramus30438 wrote:
On 2012-06-08, Tom GardnerMars@Tacks wrote:
[...]

It's a constant battle, like having a phantom employee. The fixtures
get hit, bent, pulled, smashed and every other form of physical abuse.
We just keep on top. Also, the Quincys slowly get carbon in their
valves and work harder and harder. Every month we pull the HP exhaust
and clean them. Air IS expensive but sure is handy!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-08, Tom GardnerMars@Tacks wrote:
[...]

I can sell you a 25 HP Palatek compressor with only 6k hours.

Right now it is wired for 230, but can be easily converted to 460, I
have the overload.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-08, Tom GardnerMars@Tacks wrote:
[...]

That's a screw compressor with sound enclosure.

Right now it is wired for 230, but can be easily converted to 460, I
have the overload.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-08, Tom GardnerMars@Tacks wrote:
[...]

Depending on the price..Tom may well consider this offer.

Gunner, who just finished rebuilding a 10hp I/R ESP screw compressor

What did the rebuilding involve?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Mon, 11 Jun 2012 01:42:17 -0700

I charged the client $500 flat rate, so He has less than a grand in the
compressor, from purchase to running his shop.

My first screw compressor rebuild. Shrug Done a ton of piston types
over the years.

Hope it holds up. I told the cheap bas^^^ owners there was no warranty
on the rebuild.

Guaranteed not to rip, rot, rust, bust, mildew, mold or throw dust
for thirty cycles or thirty seconds whichever comes first, provided
the customer does not interfere with it.

"It'snot working"
"Did you turn it on?
"Of course I turned it one!"
"I told you not to interfere with it!"
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich fired this volley in
:

provided
the customer does not interfere with it.

Ah... the pocket watch warrantee, again! G

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com on Mon, 11 Jun
2012 14:58:57 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
pyotr filipivich fired this volley in
:

provided
the customer does not interfere with it.

Ah... the pocket watch warrantee, again! G

It is such a good one, is it not?
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-08, Tom GardnerMars@Tacks wrote:
[...]

get hit, bent, pulled, smashed and every other form of physical abuse.ry it all.
We just keep on top. Also, the Quincys slowly get carbon in their
valves and work harder and harder. Every month we pull the HP exhaust
and clean them. Air IS expensive but sure is handy!

I can sell you a 25 HP Palatek compressor with only 6k hours.

Right now it is wired for 230, but can be easily converted to 460, I
have the overload.

It only takes 10 hp to run the shop. Actually, the 7.5 hp Hydrovane
will just carry it. Any time we have greater than a 50% duty cycle we
get very serious about finding the issue.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-08, Tom GardnerMars@Tacks wrote:
[...]

This is nice. We also have a 10HP Quincy QR-25. We just about finished
to set up compressed air. We added an aftercooler from a scrapped tow
behind compressor. We put it between the compressor and the air dryer,
to improve efficiency of the dryer and to reduce costs. I had a panel
of 110v fans that we put on that aftercooler.