Jim Bailey

Default X5 vs Industrial

I've been shopping for a Unisaw and can't seem to find out all the
differences between the new X5 saws and the Industrial (original version I
guess ?) version. Has this been discussed somewhere ? I'm looking for a
Left tilt, 3HP, 30" biesmeyer, but there are so many versions it's getting a
little confusing ! Advice ?

thanks

jim b

David F. Eisan

Dear Jim,

I've been shopping for a Unisaw and can't seem to find out all the
differences between the new X5 saws and the Industrial (original version I
guess ?) version. Has this been discussed somewhere ? I'm looking for a
Left tilt, 3HP, 30" biesmeyer, but there are so many versions it's getting

little confusing ! Advice ?

X5 is a program, not new machines. Same ****, different colour, different
accessories.

Thanks,

David.

rec.ww FAQ http://www.robson.org/woodfaq/
Archives http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
Crowbar FAQ http://www.klownhammer.org/crowbar

Mark

Jim,
Definitely DAGS (do a Google search)as this topic has been thrashed
quite deeply recently. Late last year I was looking for a Uni also,
Amazon offered the best price. But they sold out of the limited edition
models just before I was going to order one. The X5 is the exact same
machine, most likely built in Chaiwan now. Since Amazon only offered the
X5 at a higher price, I continued looking around. At the local WWing
show in Oct, I found a local Delta dist who still had a few LE's at a
great price. I got an LE left tilt, 50" biesemeyer with a Delta mobile
base for a notch over $1500 after tax. They threw in delivery and a
sweet little 2HP Porter Cable compressor for free. I made a platform
that mounts on top of the mobile base and put the compressor and
accessories there. I'm very satisfied with everything. Last but not
least, the saw is made in the US.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Jim Bailey wrote:
I've been shopping for a Unisaw and can't seem to find out all the
differences between the new X5 saws and the Industrial (original version I
guess ?) version. Has this been discussed somewhere ? I'm looking for a
Left tilt, 3HP, 30" biesmeyer, but there are so many versions it's getting a
little confusing ! Advice ?

thanks

jim b

Poseidon

That deal ($1549.00 shipped) is still available at Woodworkers Supply:
https://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLP...PARTNUM=36-841

I purchased one right before thanksgiving. Wiring the garage for it today...

-Mike

gy.com...

Jim Bailey wrote:
I've been shopping for a Unisaw and can't seem to find out all the
differences between the new X5 saws and the Industrial (original version

guess ?) version. Has this been discussed somewhere ? I'm looking for

Left tilt, 3HP, 30" biesmeyer, but there are so many versions it's

getting a
little confusing ! Advice ?

thanks

jim b

Unisaw A100

Mark wrote:
The X5 is the exact same machine, most likely built in Chaiwan now.

I don't think this is quite true quite right now. I suspect
when the Delta Chiwanese cabinet saws make their way to the
lower forty eight they'll be the same ones as being peddled
in Kanada right now. My guess is at that moment in history
they won't be selling the Unisaw anymore made in the USA or
not.

This of course will be the sign of the apocalypse. Wait,
the sign of the apocalypse was the evil Dr. Cheney surviving
long enough to become president.

Let me get back with you on this.

UA100

Mark

Damn shame. If US corporations want to use that cheap overseas labor,
why can't we see any price difference? But that's too far OT for now.

At least the miter slots in my Uni are damn accurate. I'm building
some crosscut sleds and the slot widths are .751" in each slot. I am
using 3/4 x 3/8 stock for the runners and they are a perfect fit. More
on that later.

I was told by a Delta rep that the X5 line was entirely assembled in
Asia, maybe he wasn't quite accurate. Regardless where they come from,
I still have a fair amount of satisfaction in Delta. Let's see how
long it lasts........ Mark

Unisaw A100 wrote:
Mark wrote:

The X5 is the exact same machine, most likely built in Chaiwan now.

I don't think this is quite true quite right now. I suspect
when the Delta Chiwanese cabinet saws make their way to the
lower forty eight they'll be the same ones as being peddled
in Kanada right now. My guess is at that moment in history
they won't be selling the Unisaw anymore made in the USA or
not.

This of course will be the sign of the apocalypse. Wait,
the sign of the apocalypse was the evil Dr. Cheney surviving
long enough to become president.

Let me get back with you on this.

UA100

Guy LaRochelle

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message
Mark wrote:
The X5 is the exact same machine, most likely built in Chaiwan now.

I don't think this is quite true quite right now. I suspect
when the Delta Chiwanese cabinet saws make their way to the
lower forty eight they'll be the same ones as being peddled
in Kanada right now.

Isn't the X5 in Canada the same as the one in the USA? I bought one in
Canada and it says "Made in USA" on it. Regards. -Guy

Unisaw A100

Guy LaRochelle wrote:
Isn't the X5 in Canada the same as the one in the USA? I bought one in
Canada and it says "Made in USA" on it. Regards. -Guy

The Unisaw in Kanada is the same as the Unisaw in the US.
Delta does have some Chiwanese machine they are peddling to
the Kanadians onna 'count of once everyone looks at the
Unisaw and looks at the General 350 they end up picking the
General onna 'count of there's only a couple few dollars
difference in price.

Given the fit, finish and design of the General you'd have
to be suffering from Mad Cow to make any other decision.

UA100

Quadindad2

the unisaw, X5 or Limited Edition are still built in the USA
john
Guy LaRochelle

Well, I must have Mad Cow.............because I looked at both before buying
the Unisaw and I couldn't see why I should spend an extra $400 Canadian to
own a General. My buddy has a General 350 that I had a chance to look at
quite a bit and I don't see where there is a better fit & finish on the
General. One thing I did notice is the mechanism inside for tilting the saw
seemed to be a little heavier on the General............but has that been a
problem on the Delta? Regards. -Guy

Guy LaRochelle wrote:
Isn't the X5 in Canada the same as the one in the USA? I bought one in
Canada and it says "Made in USA" on it. Regards. -Guy

The Unisaw in Kanada is the same as the Unisaw in the US.
Delta does have some Chiwanese machine they are peddling to
the Kanadians onna 'count of once everyone looks at the
Unisaw and looks at the General 350 they end up picking the
General onna 'count of there's only a couple few dollars
difference in price.

Given the fit, finish and design of the General you'd have
to be suffering from Mad Cow to make any other decision.

UA100

Unisaw A100

Guy LaRochelle wrote:
Well, I must have Mad Cow.............because I looked at both before buying
the Unisaw and I couldn't see why I should spend an extra $400 Canadian to
own a General.

$400 is a significant savings and I can't/won't argue your
decision. $400 buys a lot of table saw infrastructure
items.

My buddy has a General 350 that I had a chance to look at
quite a bit and I don't see where there is a better fit & finish on the
General. One thing I did notice is the mechanism inside for tilting the saw
seemed to be a little heavier on the General............

That's where the $400 comes in. Another reason I like the
General is the motor mount. The General isn't a proprietary
mount.

but has that been a problem on the Delta?

Over the years the Unisaw has been "value engineered" down
but it's hard to argue that it isn't essentially the same
saw as was introduced in 1939. The newer saws come with a
blow molded motor cover that can be handy if the down spout
on your house (pronounced with a long O) needs a new
spillway.

The General on the other hand is closer to being what it
always was, i.e., the castings are as they have always been,
no, or little, "value engineering".

In the end, I can't think of any cabinet saw being sold that
wouldn't be a worthwhile investment for the typical hobbyist
wooddorker. If I had a need for a cabinet saw and I was
buying new I'd pony up to the General.

Regards. -Guy

Regards, Another Guy
Bay Area Dave

Infrastructure items?? would that be "accessories", by any chance, Keith?

dave