Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - clean gas tank of generator?

A neighbor gave me a 7500W generator. It's been sitting quite a while,
so I cleaned the mouse nest out of it, cleaned the carb, etc.

Now, the gas tank: it's a 5 gal poly tank with a dip tube. It could
only be drained with a lot of trouble, so there was probably gas left in
it to evaporate. Do I need to clean it and, if so, how?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-05-08, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
A neighbor gave me a 7500W generator. It's been sitting quite a while,
so I cleaned the mouse nest out of it, cleaned the carb, etc.

Now, the gas tank: it's a 5 gal poly tank with a dip tube. It could
only be drained with a lot of trouble, so there was probably gas left in
it to evaporate. Do I need to clean it and, if so, how?

What does it contain now?

How hard is it to take it off?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus15546 wrote:
What does it contain now?

It's empty.

How hard is it to take it off?

Hard, but I did take it off.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt fired this volley in
:

It's empty.

I have a good friend at a local hardware store, who, given my claim that
there was "only mineral spirits" in my generator tank, was willing to put
it on the paint shaker for me.

I had 1lb of steel #8 shot and 1 pt. of min-spir in the tank. After five
minutes of mixing, it looked like new steel.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com fired this volley
in .70:

I had 1lb of steel #8 shot and 1 pt. of min-spir in the tank. After
five minutes of mixing, it looked like new steel.

OOPS! I might add that I put a dab of solder over the vent hole in the
cap, and put a new gasket in it before the "ordeal". It _would_ leak,
otherwise.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That might be less than useful, since Bob mentioned having a plastic tank.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

.70...
Bob Engelhardt fired this volley in
:

It's empty.

I have a good friend at a local hardware store, who, given my claim that
there was "only mineral spirits" in my generator tank, was willing to put
it on the paint shaker for me.

I had 1lb of steel #8 shot and 1 pt. of min-spir in the tank. After five
minutes of mixing, it looked like new steel.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'd put in new gas, see if the generator runs. If so, don't over repair the
device.

That's nice of your neighbor. I hope you thanked him (her) at least twice.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
A neighbor gave me a 7500W generator. It's been sitting quite a while,
so I cleaned the mouse nest out of it, cleaned the carb, etc.

Now, the gas tank: it's a 5 gal poly tank with a dip tube. It could
only be drained with a lot of trouble, so there was probably gas left in
it to evaporate. Do I need to clean it and, if so, how?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley
in :

That might be less than useful, since Bob mentioned having a plastic
tank.

That's ANOTHER thing I don't like about UseNet. That never came across.

But even a poly tank could use a "gentle" cleaning! G

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'd put in new gas, see if the generator runs. If so, don't over repair the
device.

I'm leaning that way. 'First I thought "Maybe there's residue from the
gas & I should remove it". But nothing comes out when I turn it upside
down and thump it. And there is a fuel filter.

That's nice of your neighbor. I hope you thanked him (her) at least twice.

We do each other a lot of favors. Mostly service from me and stuff from
him.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bummer. Well, any thing made by mankind will have errors of transmission.

I've over fixed enough things in my life. As I'm growing older, I tend to be
more cautious about such repairs. I do hope Bob soon has a good running,
dependable and quiet generator. I also hope his power stays on, and he never
needs it.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

. 3.70...
"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley
in :

That might be less than useful, since Bob mentioned having a plastic
tank.

That's ANOTHER thing I don't like about UseNet. That never came across.

But even a poly tank could use a "gentle" cleaning! G

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey, I was just talking about you! Yeah, I'd gas it up and see if it works.
I'm guessing it's fine. I don't remember off hand, if you did the oil
change. You'd likely know better than I, that air cooled engines need a good
name brand of oil. My fav is Castrol, cause of how it ran, a couple vehicles
ago. The only brand that quieted the piston rod knock more than two days.

I'm encouraged that there are kind people left in the world.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'd put in new gas, see if the generator runs. If so, don't over repair
the
device.

I'm leaning that way. 'First I thought "Maybe there's residue from the
gas & I should remove it". But nothing comes out when I turn it upside
down and thump it. And there is a fuel filter.

That's nice of your neighbor. I hope you thanked him (her) at least twice.

We do each other a lot of favors. Mostly service from me and stuff from
him.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My first gas power generator, was given me by a relative. Wouldn't run.
Turns out to be a couple ounces low oil. 5,000 watt Coleman, that had a low
oil safety.

I traded it to my Dad. One evening, power cut, and generator would not
start. A "helpful" neighbor sprayed ether in the spark plug hole, and that
was the end of the generator. Washed the oil off the cylinder wall. Should
have sprayed ether onto the air filter.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley
in :

I do hope Bob soon has a good running,
dependable and quiet generator. I also hope his power stays on, and he
never needs it.

I find that as long as I have a good generator (which I do) and run-check
it monthly, I _never_ need it. On the other hand... G..

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
My first gas power generator, was given me by a relative. Wouldn't
run.
Turns out to be a couple ounces low oil. 5,000 watt Coleman, that
had a low
oil safety.

Almost every engine-driven machine I own came from someone who no
longer wanted to put up with its problems. Several were free gifts,
including the garden tractor. It really pays to understand
carburetors.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Carburetors just want a little attention, that's all. With no attention,
carburetors get over bored. They will look for any man that will pour some
alcohol in them, suck on their venturi, and make them spray gas. Then, they
come home with their water about to burst, and sometimes with their needle
stuck in their seat.

Next, we'll have a program like Big Carburetors, to help carbs from going
the wrong way in life. A venturi is a terrible thing to waste. Midnight
power cuts, keep your small engines off the street.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

Almost every engine-driven machine I own came from someone who no
longer wanted to put up with its problems. Several were free gifts,
including the garden tractor. It really pays to understand
carburetors.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Carburetors just want a little attention, that's all. With no
attention,
carburetors get over bored. They will look for any man that will
pour some
alcohol in them, suck on their venturi, and make them spray gas.
Then, they
come home with their water about to burst, and sometimes with their
needle
stuck in their seat.

Next, we'll have a program like Big Carburetors, to help carbs from
going
the wrong way in life. A venturi is a terrible thing to waste.
Midnight
power cuts, keep your small engines off the street.

Christopher A. Young

Do you normally start drinking this early in the morning?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sounds like you have great attention to detail. You must be a machinist?

(My generator gets run every several years. I'm not a very good machinist.)

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

I find that as long as I have a good generator (which I do) and run-check
it monthly, I _never_ need it. On the other hand... G..

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Are you a humorless brain dead person who can only be comical while
intoxicated?

Some of us can display occasional humor, as part of our normal day to day
function.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Carburetors just want a little attention, that's all. With no
attention,
carburetors get over bored. They will look for any man that will
pour some
alcohol in them, suck on their venturi, and make them spray gas.
Then, they
come home with their water about to burst, and sometimes with their
needle
stuck in their seat.

Next, we'll have a program like Big Carburetors, to help carbs from
going
the wrong way in life. A venturi is a terrible thing to waste.
Midnight
power cuts, keep your small engines off the street.

Christopher A. Young

Do you normally start drinking this early in the morning?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley in
:

Sounds like you have great attention to detail. You must be a

machinist?

Not so much that as I am a simple lover of good, old, robust hardware.

My farm tractor is a 1968 Deutz 56HP air-cooled diesel.
My generator is a 1962 Dayton 3.5KW with a 10HP cast iron Briggs.
My 'main' milling machine is a 1986 Bridgeport R2E4.
My compressor was made all from scrapyard parts.

I like to "rescue" good-quality old stuff, and put it back into useful
service. Sometimes it's not much less expensive than newer equipment, by
the time I get it fixed. But when I do, I know I have something that
will probably out-live me.

So... all that said; once I fix something, I like to maintain it.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Are you a humorless brain dead person who can only be comical while
intoxicated?

Hey, he just forgot the smileycon (it was typo). I'm sure. Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Blessed are the peace makers, for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are the rich, for they shall inherit the peacemakers.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Are you a humorless brain dead person who can only be comical while
intoxicated?

Hey, he just forgot the smileycon (it was typo). I'm sure. Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
A neighbor gave me a 7500W generator. ...

I fired it up and it works great! Still have to test for full load
(I'll use my weldor - it's the biggest portable load that I have.)

The generator has a couple of features that I haven't seen befo
- an "after fire preventer" on the carb. This is a solenoid which shuts
off fuel from the carb float bowl when the ignition is switched off. It
prevents fuel being drawn into the engine and exhausted into a hot
muffler (after fire).

- a automatic idle mode. This senses no-load (on both legs) and idles
the engine until a load returns. There's a little circuit board in
there for doing it.

My wife is delighted - we have a little genny that can the TV,
refrigerator, etc. But it's not 240v & can't run the pump. Now we can
run _everything_ (well, maybe not all at once).

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
A neighbor gave me a 7500W generator. ...

I fired it up and it works great! Still have to test for full load (I'll
use my weldor - it's the biggest portable load that I have.)

Suggest a welder. Weldors object, as a rule.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
A neighbor gave me a 7500W generator. ...

I fired it up and it works great! Still have to test for full load
(I'll use my weldor - it's the biggest portable load that I have.)

Bob

The worst load I've seen is starting a 120V washing machine or air
compressor that needs more than 25A momentarily. The breaker holds,
but the output voltage drops below 100V, the motor doesn't reach speed
and the start switch doesn't open. I have to start the washing machine
by pushing the motor back with my toe to loosen the belt, the tankless
air compressor by turning the pressure to zero and the tanked one by
emptying it.

A larger 240V generator (Coleman) was no better because apparently
each 120V outlet has its own 20A winding. They are in series for 240V.

These loads are above the range of a KillAWatt so I watch the peak
current with an old analog Amprobe.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:jog88a$eb5
:

the tankless
air compressor by turning the pressure to zero and the tanked one by
emptying it.

Why? Ever heard of unloader valves? I have a small "almost tankless"
compressor (Emglo) that has an unloader with enough hysteresis so that it
won't even begin to re-supply air to the load until the motor is up to
full speed. It's got enough capacity to handle one large or two "finish
size" air nail guns at full work speed.

I've used that compressor on a 100' extension cord, that being run by a
genset.

I can't speak to your washing machine problem, Jim, but you ought to be
checking the function of your unloaders on the compressors.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/12/2012 4:23 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

If its a true..true 7500 watts..you might consider a transformer that
will plug into the genset and convert to 240 volts. That will give you
about 35000 watts @240 volts to work with.

How you figure?

7500 W capacity from the genset would still be 7500 W after the step-up,
just half the max current. 7.5kVA/120V -- 60-something A; halve that
for 240V.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Some people don't know watt they are talking about. Like the current
conversation.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 5/12/2012 4:23 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

If its a true..true 7500 watts..you might consider a transformer that
will plug into the genset and convert to 240 volts. That will give you
about 35000 watts @240 volts to work with.

How you figure?

7500 W capacity from the genset would still be 7500 W after the step-up,
just half the max current. 7.5kVA/120V -- 60-something A; halve that
for 240V.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 09 May 2012 19:44:53 -0400, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

- we have a little genny that can the TV,
refrigerator, etc. But it's not 240v & can't run the pump. ...

If its a true..true 7500 watts..you might consider a transformer that
will plug into the genset and convert to 240 volts. ...

The new, 7500W one, is 240. The old small one isn't. Bob