Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default cell phones

What a bunch of hooey.

Cell phones have gone through the roof.

The *******s.

Plans.

Locked in for forty years.

Can't change without paying a penalty.

Can't call this guy and that guy because he is "not on your plan."

And every time you call the cell phone company, they have a sexy nice person
that sells you two of the latest models of cell phones at a reduced rate,
and then in two to three months, your bill goes up $20 ......... $30.

What's the answer?

I could toss my cell phone in the wood stove and never miss it. They are a
bother. Maybe if it's making me money, I'd have one with a business line.
But this personal line phone thing has gotten way out of hand. It's so
complicated, no one can understand all the stuff about minutes and plans and
people outside your plan and calls on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Saturday
afternoons.

Go to Wally World and buy a prepaid phone and toss it?

Help!

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" fired this volley in news:jmdcst$nfc$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

Cell phones have gone through the roof.

That's not my problem with them.

I have a (now) nearly 8 year old Motorola Razr. It handles bluetooth and
voice-actuated calling elegantly, only turning on the BT when it needs to
(saving the BT battery life), and allowing multiple retries and hints
during a mis-understood voice dial. It plays ring tones and other audio
through the BT, also turning on the channel _only_ when it's needed.

I bought a fairly expensive new Android a few months back (for business),
because I was getting a lot of texts from customers, and needed the full
QWERTY keyboard this one offered.

It's great for text. But it can't play ringtones through BT unless you
get an app to turn on the BT channel full-time (killing the BT battery in
a few hours). I don't want to have to pull my phone out of the holster
each time I get a call, just to see who's calling! (can't anyway with
greasy hands, or with my hands on the controls of the mill or lathe)

It cannot - simply CAN NOT - handle voice dialing _at_all_ unless it
hears it right on the first utterance. Any noise, horseness, wind...
it's not possible. No retries, no hints, no help, no heuristics to learn
the user's voice. No help from the phone company, either.

Why is it MaggotRoller can do this almost a decade ago with 1/10th the
processor speed and 1/16th the memory, and get it so right, and the
"newest and greatest", running Linux with a fast processor and 8G of
memory can't handle it at all?

I had to retire the Android, and switch back to the Razr, because my
hands are full of grease, coolant, and metal chips all day. I _need_ the
hands-free features!

The *******s.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

Trac Fone works for me. I use the motorola 124G phone. Pay as
you go, no plans, no contracts. Runs me about $8 a month for my
needs. Been with them for 3 years, no complaints.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote

I had to retire the Android, and switch back to the Razr, because my
hands are full of grease, coolant, and metal chips all day. I _need_ the
hands-free features!

The *******s.

LLoyd

You are lucky. Usually, when anything shows up that actually works, they
phase it out. Try to get a phone with just the ring tone that is like an
old Bell phone. Good luck. You get some Lady Gaga crap.

steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

azotic wrote:
Trac Fone works for me. I use the motorola 124G phone. Pay as
you go, no plans, no contracts. Runs me about $8 a month for my
needs. Been with them for 3 years, no complaints.

Same here. $20 every three months gets me 140 minutes of talk time, which
is _way_ more than I ever use.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"azotic" wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

T-Mobile prepaid costs me about $50 to $60 per year.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
azotic wrote:
Trac Fone works for me. I use the motorola 124G phone. Pay as
you go, no plans, no contracts. Runs me about $8 a month for my
needs. Been with them for 3 years, no complaints.

Same here. $20 every three months gets me 140 minutes of talk time,
which is _way_ more than I ever use.
Jon

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-...aylo-plans.jsp

Works for me.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 21:58:00 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

azotic wrote:
Trac Fone works for me. I use the motorola 124G phone. Pay as
you go, no plans, no contracts. Runs me about $8 a month for my
needs. Been with them for 3 years, no complaints.

Same here. $20 every three months gets me 140 minutes of talk time, which
is _way_ more than I ever use.

Ditto here. I buy the annual time card at $99 and have beaucoup extra
unused minutes every year.

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.pagepluscellular.com/

$2.50 a month for 25 minutes, which is way more than I use (the
cellphone is just an on-the-road phone for me). Lots of other plans, of
course. PagePlus is a Verizon reseller, so phone works anywhere Verizon is.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP" wrote in message

"azotic" wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

I went with tmobile prepaid because after you put your first $100 in minutes
on it any unused minutes are good for a year and roll over with any refill
before expiration.

I only carry one because you can't find a payphone any more. I don't give my
number to anyone and make calls infrequently.

The minutes aren't the cheapest but for emergency usage the long expiration
works out to the best value.
I can spend $10 a year to keep it active.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 12:01:09 -0500, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

"ATP" wrote in message

T-Mobile prepaid costs me about $50 to $60 per year.

I went with tmobile prepaid because after you put your first $100 in minutes
on it any unused minutes are good for a year and roll over with any refill
before expiration.

I only carry one because you can't find a payphone any more. I don't give my
number to anyone and make calls infrequently.

The minutes aren't the cheapest but for emergency usage the long expiration
works out to the best value.
I can spend $10 a year to keep it active.

Paul K. Dickman

How do you do it for $10/year? I'm on the $100 for a thousand minutes
plan and was under the impression the minutes expire in a year and you
have to buy another thousand minutes at that point.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"ATP" wrote in message

[...]

With T-mobile "to go", once you reach the "Golden Rewards" club (after your
first hundred is on) any minutes added, are good for a year.
At least on mine. I actually put more than ten bucks on mine because I use
it, but my dad's which never used except for emergencies just gets one $10
card a year.

Try buying a ten buck refill and see if the expiration date is a year from
now.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

wrote:

"ATP" wrote in message

[...]

That's what I thought at first, but apparently once you spend that first
$100 as long as you buy some minutes all of them roll over.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 13:03:00 -0500, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"ATP" wrote in message

[...]

Aw crap. I bought a hundred minutes a year ago and the balance expired
a couple days ago. I didn't realize they'd roll if I made a refill
before the expiration. Oh well, at least I'll know next time.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"ATP" wrote in message

[...]

a *thousand* minutes
a couple days ago. I didn't realize they'd roll if I made a refill
before the expiration. Oh well, at least I'll know next time.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

wrote:

"ATP" wrote in message

[...]

Call customer service, they'll allow it, I've done it a few times.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote:

What a bunch of hooey.

Cell phones have gone through the roof.

The *******s.

Plans.

I just have a dumb phone. Sony Erricson Z520. Bought one with a plan, bought another off
of fleabay when it died, and bought 2 more for 20 bucks each years later. I'm kinda hard
of phones. Electricity and metal dust from the plant don't mix. Still, for 12 years,
I've only used up 2 phones and have two that work. Since I use the same model, I can
break them apart to fix a dead one. I did that with the first two and gained a couple
years out of that.

I don't do data, I do have bluetooth and my land line cordless phones are able to use the
cell phone as a headset. Kinda neat. I also can beam numbers to the phone from my
ancient palm pda.

I'm paying 48 dollars a month in a rural area for 500 minutes a month nationwide with
rollover. I don't talk much most of the time but when I do, I don't worry because of the
banked rollover minutes.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"ATP" wrote in message

[...]

Call and ask if you can get them reinstated, Ned. The worst they can
do is say "no", the best "OK!"

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
-- Louis L'Amour
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sun, 15 Apr 2012 09:21:27 -0700

Go to Wally World and buy a prepaid phone and toss it?

Works for me. Verizon has three "prepaid" plans - works out to
about 15 dollars a month (plus tax) for me. Note well - _For Me_. 25
cents a minute, day or night.

Depends on how much calling you actually need to do.

I have Sprint..and my cell phone service costs have gone up exactly $10
in the last 5 yrs, when I changed to unlimited service for
data/voice/internet.

And its actually gone down, come to think of it. I was paying $95 a
month and now Im paying $65.

Might want to look around a bit.

And there are websites which will let you cost compare. I always
compare the "regular" costs. Not the special three month introductory
rate, but the actual "what is it going to cost in six months?" rate.

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

What a bunch of hooey.

The DAV offers their members service through
http://www.powernetglobal.com/