Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default cell phones

"Steve B" fired this volley in news:jmdcst$nfc$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

Cell phones have gone through the roof.

That's not my problem with them.

I have a (now) nearly 8 year old Motorola Razr. It handles bluetooth and
voice-actuated calling elegantly, only turning on the BT when it needs to
(saving the BT battery life), and allowing multiple retries and hints
during a mis-understood voice dial. It plays ring tones and other audio
through the BT, also turning on the channel _only_ when it's needed.

I bought a fairly expensive new Android a few months back (for business),
because I was getting a lot of texts from customers, and needed the full
QWERTY keyboard this one offered.

It's great for text. But it can't play ringtones through BT unless you
get an app to turn on the BT channel full-time (killing the BT battery in
a few hours). I don't want to have to pull my phone out of the holster
each time I get a call, just to see who's calling! (can't anyway with
greasy hands, or with my hands on the controls of the mill or lathe)

It cannot - simply CAN NOT - handle voice dialing _at_all_ unless it
hears it right on the first utterance. Any noise, horseness, wind...
it's not possible. No retries, no hints, no help, no heuristics to learn
the user's voice. No help from the phone company, either.

Why is it MaggotRoller can do this almost a decade ago with 1/10th the
processor speed and 1/16th the memory, and get it so right, and the
"newest and greatest", running Linux with a fast processor and 8G of
memory can't handle it at all?

I had to retire the Android, and switch back to the Razr, because my
hands are full of grease, coolant, and metal chips all day. I _need_ the
hands-free features!

LLoyd