Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Company Policy

"Winston" wrote in message ...

RogerN wrote:

Then please explain why they have lost in court so many times?

Because they haven't.

Why does their own lawyers recommend them to settle? Why have I seen so
many people
get large settlements?

They just don't. Filing suit means that their working
life is over, unless they have the backing of a much larger
organization. Few do.

A few thousand net or a career? Your choice.

The story I know best is from a friend I have known some 40 years now, I
knew him long before working at the tire plant with him. He got injured at
work, was supposed to be compensated according to his base pay plus his
overtime pay based on a period of time prior to that. The company didn't
follow their own policy, they paid him based only on his base pay, not the
overtime he had been getting. He got a lawyer and bought a new Harley with
the money he cleared. He still had his job until he found a better paying
one. So he ended up with several thousand dollars, didn't end his career,
his working life wasn't over, he's still employed at the job he left for, St
Louis Metro Link.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:
"Winston" wrote in message ...

RogerN wrote:

[...]

1) One anecdote does not equal a study.

2) Welcome to the Age of the Sociopathic Senior Manager.
Contradict him and risk your life? Not a good decision.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Wed, 28 Mar 2012
08:01:13 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

ATP wrote:

When I say charge I mean the number of hours are tallied on the sheet,
whether you worked them or not. I'm not talking about mandatory OT or a
penalty. So the list really tracks how many hours were offered to each
employee. If you don't do it this way, some guys will only take certain days
or they will refuse OT if the job is unpleasant or hard.

Hell, I got in trouble for asking for the hardest & nastiest jobs in
my department. I enjoyed the challenges of finding out why the jobs
were so despised, then making engineering fix the problems. Even if
that meant shutting down a product line, to get their attention. Before
long, the 'Wallys' were crying that I was taking all the easy work. The
boss simply laughed and reminded them that every one of them had refused
to do most of the jobs I did willingly.

Guy in tech school had decided to hang out with the old fart who
knew it all. And he then learned it all. Years later, he offered to
take a new guy under his wing and teach him the trade. Nobody wanted
too, but they all complained when he got the Overtime, and the "cool"
(interesting [complicated]) jobs. But he had the skill set, and they
hadn't wanted to learn them.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ATP wrote:

[...]

All I got for it was 'laid off' for not being a team player. I had
offered to teach the other guys to be better techs, but all they saw was
that would cut their overtime pay.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Thu, 29 Mar 2012
20:05:03 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

ATP wrote:

[...]

Penny wise and pound foolish/.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

snip
Guy in tech school had decided to hang out with the old fart who
knew it all. And he then learned it all. Years later, he offered to
take a new guy under his wing and teach him the trade. Nobody wanted
too, but they all complained when he got the Overtime, and the "cool"
(interesting [complicated]) jobs. But he had the skill set, and they
hadn't wanted to learn them.
--
pyotr

Unfortunately where I work it doesn't pay to be too good. If you can fix
every machine in the plant, you'll be fixing every machine in the plant.
They reward hard work with more hard work. If you can be called on to fix
anything, it's difficult to get lunch or breaks. People that can only fix
one kind of machine, that's all they are sent to work on. If you're
qualified to work all areas, they will schedule you overtime for all areas.
It's kind of sad that if you try to be a better tech, all it means is they
give you that much more work to do.

I got years of experience before this company would hire me. I went from a
grocery bagger to a machinist, to office equipment repair, to factory
maintenance, then automation and controls design, build, program, now I'm an
industrial electrical tech. Many of my co-workers are there as their first
job out of college. If that was my first job out of school I wouldn't have
been so eager to learn so many technical skills.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. on Wed, 28 Mar 2012

ATP wrote:

[...]

Tech in a medium - size company got very bored waiting
in his office for an assignment from his boss for *weeks*.

Walked up to one of the engineers and asked for *something,
anything* to do. Got assigned as the project tech for that
engineer and learned many fascinating and useful things.
Helped launch several successful products with prototyping
and troubleshooting skill. Later designed a DMA computer
interface which was a third the size of the company's
existing product and supported high - speed 'burst' mode
for the first time.

Was told by a representative of the Talent Pool (and I am
not making this up) that he was "making the other techs look bad".

--Winston --Non-union shop, too.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 21:40:57 -0700, Winston
wrote:

"Michael A. on Wed, 28 Mar 2012

ATP wrote:

[...]

Makes you wonder how the mid-level manglers ever got a job in the
first place, doesn't it? Wasting his (and how many others') talent
like that...

Walked up to one of the engineers and asked for *something,
anything* to do. Got assigned as the project tech for that
engineer and learned many fascinating and useful things.

Way to go, dude.

Helped launch several successful products with prototyping
and troubleshooting skill. Later designed a DMA computer
interface which was a third the size of the company's
existing product and supported high - speed 'burst' mode
for the first time.

Most excellent. Was this on his own or under engineer supervision?

Was told by a representative of the Talent Pool (and I am
not making this up) that he was "making the other techs look bad".

Lemme guess: Talent Pool fidiot was a union guy?

--Winston --Non-union shop, too.

Sure sounded union. I guess that bad habits can rub off on non-union
folks, too, though. sigh

--
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the
government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 30, 10:16*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 21:40:57 -0700, Winston
wrote:

"Michael A. *on Wed, 28 Mar 2012

ATP wrote:

[...]

Oh, cut it out, Larry. Not all unions are evil, and not all management
is saintly.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Tech in a medium - size company got very bored waiting
in his office for an assignment from his boss for *weeks*.

Makes you wonder how the mid-level manglers ever got a job in the
first place, doesn't it? Wasting his (and how many others') talent
like that...

He was apparently waiting for the engineers to ask him for
support and the engineers were waiting for him to pitch the
availability of the Talent Pool. Upshot was nothing happened.

Who knew?

Walked up to one of the engineers and asked for *something,
anything* to do. Got assigned as the project tech for that
engineer and learned many fascinating and useful things.

Way to go, dude.

Thanks!

Helped launch several successful products with prototyping
and troubleshooting skill. Later designed a DMA computer
interface which was a third the size of the company's
existing product and supported high - speed 'burst' mode
for the first time.

Most excellent. Was this on his own or under engineer supervision?

On my own. Just after I asked for work from the engineer,
my boss showed up and asked if I wanted to design a replacement
for our existing interface. I decided I would.

I *did* consult with the senior engineer about possible
approaches to the design assignment. He wanted me to
explore the use of a 'processor, but I decided on a more
distributed synchronous approach. It worked really well.

Was told by a representative of the Talent Pool (and I am
not making this up) that he was "making the other techs look bad".

Lemme guess: Talent Pool fidiot was a union guy?

--Winston--Non-union shop, too.

Sure sounded union. I guess that bad habits can rub off on non-union
folks, too, though.sigh

Yeah, those guys were really content just sitting in
their offices staring at the walls or reading or
....whatever. Sad, that.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Have to be reallly careful, teaching others what you know. Sometimes they go
to the boss, offer to do it cheaper, and then you find yourself unemployed.
Happened to a friend of mine, who mentioned it to me. Kids now days.......

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

Guy in tech school had decided to hang out with the old fart who
knew it all. And he then learned it all. Years later, he offered to
take a new guy under his wing and teach him the trade. Nobody wanted
too, but they all complained when he got the Overtime, and the "cool"
(interesting [complicated]) jobs. But he had the skill set, and they
hadn't wanted to learn them.
--
pyotr

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

One fellow, I used work for. He had an employee who would say "hey, slow
down. Maybe we can get another day's work out of this."

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

All I got for it was 'laid off' for not being a team player. I had
offered to teach the other guys to be better techs, but all they saw was
that would cut their overtime pay.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

One fellow, I used work for. He had an employee who would say "hey, slow
down. Maybe we can get another day's work out of this."

I would have said, "You're right. Go home & take the day off,
without pay."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That's priceless. You shoulda been there, and supplied my boss with some
good lines.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Stormin Mormon wrote:

One fellow, I used work for. He had an employee who would say "hey, slow
down. Maybe we can get another day's work out of this."

I would have said, "You're right. Go home & take the day off,
without pay."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

That's priceless. You shoulda been there, and supplied my boss with some
good lines.

That was my standard 'last warning' before someone was fired.

New HD policy Red Home Repair 54 October 9th 09 06:23 PM
Where Can I find a company that feeds property sales data? (not zillow where I type it one by one - but can query the data feed company programmatically)? Does anyone know who sells something like this? Zodex Home Repair 2 August 28th 08 04:03 PM
SP Trading Company Stanislav Proskurovsky Stanp2323 SCAMMERS Don't buy electronics from this company refurbished JUNK Billy Bob Woodworking 2 July 17th 07 10:55 AM
New HF shipping policy, rev 2 Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 19 February 25th 05 08:04 PM