Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default OT Company Policy

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 21:40:57 -0700,
wrote:

Tech in a medium - size company got very bored waiting
in his office for an assignment from his boss for *weeks*.

Makes you wonder how the mid-level manglers ever got a job in the
first place, doesn't it? Wasting his (and how many others') talent
like that...

He was apparently waiting for the engineers to ask him for
support and the engineers were waiting for him to pitch the
availability of the Talent Pool. Upshot was nothing happened.

Who knew?

Walked up to one of the engineers and asked for *something,
anything* to do. Got assigned as the project tech for that
engineer and learned many fascinating and useful things.

Way to go, dude.

Thanks!

Helped launch several successful products with prototyping
and troubleshooting skill. Later designed a DMA computer
interface which was a third the size of the company's
existing product and supported high - speed 'burst' mode
for the first time.

Most excellent. Was this on his own or under engineer supervision?

On my own. Just after I asked for work from the engineer,
my boss showed up and asked if I wanted to design a replacement
for our existing interface. I decided I would.

I *did* consult with the senior engineer about possible
approaches to the design assignment. He wanted me to
explore the use of a 'processor, but I decided on a more
distributed synchronous approach. It worked really well.

Was told by a representative of the Talent Pool (and I am
not making this up) that he was "making the other techs look bad".

Lemme guess: Talent Pool fidiot was a union guy?

--Winston--Non-union shop, too.

Sure sounded union. I guess that bad habits can rub off on non-union
folks, too, though.sigh

Yeah, those guys were really content just sitting in
their offices staring at the walls or reading or
....whatever. Sad, that.

--Winston