Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Company Policy

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" on Wed, 28 Mar 2012
08:01:13 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

ATP wrote:

When I say charge I mean the number of hours are tallied on the sheet,
whether you worked them or not. I'm not talking about mandatory OT or a
penalty. So the list really tracks how many hours were offered to each
employee. If you don't do it this way, some guys will only take certain days
or they will refuse OT if the job is unpleasant or hard.

Hell, I got in trouble for asking for the hardest & nastiest jobs in
my department. I enjoyed the challenges of finding out why the jobs
were so despised, then making engineering fix the problems. Even if
that meant shutting down a product line, to get their attention. Before
long, the 'Wallys' were crying that I was taking all the easy work. The
boss simply laughed and reminded them that every one of them had refused
to do most of the jobs I did willingly.

Guy in tech school had decided to hang out with the old fart who
knew it all. And he then learned it all. Years later, he offered to
take a new guy under his wing and teach him the trade. Nobody wanted
too, but they all complained when he got the Overtime, and the "cool"
(interesting [complicated]) jobs. But he had the skill set, and they
hadn't wanted to learn them.

All I got for it was 'laid off' for not being a team player. I had
offered to teach the other guys to be better techs, but all they saw was
that would cut their overtime pay.