Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Any good metalworking forums?

Unmoderated newsgroups like this get out of control so I'm wondering
what else is out there.

I like eng-tips, even though it's very commercial and "promoting,
selling, recruiting and student posting are not allowed in the
forums." They have a Metal and Metallurgy Engineering forum at
http://tinyurl.com/77h27eu and a Welding, Bonding & Fastener
Engineering forum at http://tinyurl.com/7anoxjy

Doityourself.com has a Welding and Metalworking forum at http://tinyurl.com/7zrolg3

Anything else?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Barry wrote:
Unmoderated newsgroups like this get out of control so I'm wondering
what else is out there.

I like eng-tips, even though it's very commercial and "promoting,
selling, recruiting and student posting are not allowed in the
forums." They have a Metal and Metallurgy Engineering forum at
http://tinyurl.com/77h27eu and a Welding, Bonding & Fastener
Engineering forum at http://tinyurl.com/7anoxjy

Doityourself.com has a Welding and Metalworking forum at
http://tinyurl.com/7zrolg3

Anything else?

Here's a couple for ya
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/index.php
http://hobby-machinist.com/index.php
http://www.chaski.com/homemachinist/
and
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 09:07:31 -0800 (PST), Barry
wrote:

Unmoderated newsgroups like this get out of control so I'm wondering
what else is out there.

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/

No hawke & one screwdriver to spout all their idiotic political crap.

Alan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 23, 11:07*am, Barry wrote:
Unmoderated newsgroups like this get out of control so I'm wondering
what else is out there.

I like eng-tips, even though it's very commercial and "promoting,
selling, recruiting and student posting are not allowed in the
forums." They have a Metal and Metallurgy Engineering forum athttp://tinyurl.com/77h27euand a Welding, Bonding & Fastener
Engineering forum athttp://tinyurl.com/7anoxjy

Doityourself.com has a Welding and Metalworking forum athttp://tinyurl.com/7zrolg3

Anything else?

LOL...you Sir are a master of understatement.

Most moderated sites are better about censoring the crazies but many
still have conservative leanings that prevent others to discuss
metalworking subjects freely.

Others have moderators who have would fit right in kindergarden....PM
immediately comes to mind.

Still you take what is available and the sites being listed are a good
cross section of what is available.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 23, 11:51*am, "Snag" wrote:
Barry wrote:
Unmoderated newsgroups like this get out of control so I'm wondering
what else is out there.

I like eng-tips, even though it's very commercial and "promoting,
selling, recruiting and student posting are not allowed in the
forums." They have a Metal and Metallurgy Engineering forum at
http://tinyurl.com/77h27euand a Welding, Bonding & Fastener
Engineering forum athttp://tinyurl.com/7anoxjy

Doityourself.com has a Welding and Metalworking forum at
http://tinyurl.com/7zrolg3

Anything else?

* Here's a couple for yahttp://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/index.phphttp://hobby-machinist.com/index.phphttp://www.chaski.com/homemachinist/
*andhttp://www.practicalmachinist.com/
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

I would recommend checking other sites like truck, car
trailer..anything that uses metal...there is usually useful metal
working content discussed.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 23, 11:07*am, Barry wrote:
Unmoderated newsgroups like this get out of control so I'm wondering
what else is out there.

I like eng-tips, even though it's very commercial and "promoting,
selling, recruiting and student posting are not allowed in the
forums." They have a Metal and Metallurgy Engineering forum athttp://tinyurl.com/77h27euand a Welding, Bonding & Fastener
Engineering forum athttp://tinyurl.com/7anoxjy

Doityourself.com has a Welding and Metalworking forum athttp://tinyurl.com/7zrolg3

Anything else?

One can check the Hobart/Miller/Lincoln sites for metalworking info
also.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This group wasn't always like it is currently.

When I complain, several of you simply chew me out for not simply filtering
the OT stuff out. But I have no way to do that.
And, when you talk about filtering, it just gives the impolite ones free
reign to do all they can to kill the newsgroup.

I'm afraid to mention my other connections, for fear the bad guys will
simply go there and screw them up, too.

Please, please stop the OT and political ranting here. Do it on your
facebook account or something,
Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 23, 5:30*pm, "Pete S" wrote:
This group wasn't always like it is currently.

When I complain, several of you simply chew me out for not simply filtering
the OT stuff out. *But I have no way to do that.
* And, when you *talk about filtering, it just gives the impolite ones free
reign to do all they can to kill the newsgroup.

I'm afraid to mention my other connections, for fear the bad guys will
simply go there and screw them up, too.

Please, please stop the OT and political ranting here. Do it on your
facebook account or something,
Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Well said Pete.

And do not mention your other connections...the crazies have all the
time in the world to stalk you or me at those locations.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete S" wrote in message
.. .

This group wasn't always like it is currently.

When I complain, several of you simply chew me out for not simply
filtering the OT stuff out. But I have no way to do that.
And, when you talk about filtering, it just gives the impolite ones free
reign to do all they can to kill the newsgroup.

I'm afraid to mention my other connections, for fear the bad guys will
simply go there and screw them up, too.

Please, please stop the OT and political ranting here. Do it on your
facebook account or something,
Pete Stanaitis
---------------

And to add to Pete's comments - please stop cross-posting to the
survivalist / political & gun groups. Thats where a heap of the ignorant
nutbags seem to come from, they have almost trashed this one very on topic
group.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 17:30:11 -0600, "Pete S"
wrote:

This group wasn't always like it is currently.

When I complain, several of you simply chew me out for not simply filtering
the OT stuff out.

Why dont you?

Google Groups is the worst way to use Usenet

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This group wasn't always like it is currently.

When I complain, several of you simply chew me out for not simply filtering
the OT stuff out.

Why dont you?

Google Groups is the worst way to use Usenet

Gunner

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Gunner Asch

Or Gummer and merry band of crazies could just quit posting
conservative crap.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 16:58:25 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

On Jan 23, 5:30*pm, "Pete S" wrote:
This group wasn't always like it is currently.

When I complain, several of you simply chew me out for not simply filtering
the OT stuff out. *But I have no way to do that.
* And, when you *talk about filtering, it just gives the impolite ones free
reign to do all they can to kill the newsgroup.

I'm afraid to mention my other connections, for fear the bad guys will
simply go there and screw them up, too.

Please, please stop the OT and political ranting here. Do it on your
facebook account or something,
Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Well said Pete.

And do not mention your other connections...the crazies have all the
time in the world to stalk you or me at those locations.

TMT

Hmm, maybe I've been wasting my time here. Time to google some of your
other haunts, methinks. Thanks for the great suggestion. Maybe you can
use some company there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This group wasn't always like it is currently.

When I complain, several of you simply chew me out for not simply filtering
the OT stuff out.

Why dont you?

Google Groups is the worst way to use Usenet

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Or Gummer and merry band of crazies could just quit posting
conservative crap.

TMT

The problem with newsgroup spam is there's no way to get away from it
other than filtering somehow, since the spammers search usenet
statistics for the busiest groups to spam. If you've ever looked around
at a lot of oddball newsgroups, they may average little to no spam in
the last ~12 months,,,, but they also usually have very few real posts
as well. Spammers won't waste their time posting to a group they know
nobody visits.

The problem with web forums is that they either cost you money directly
(a membership fee) or they have advertising. Their power to keep spam
down is the ability to block people from posting, even if you paid for a
membership (if it is a paid site) or if you criticize advertisers (if it
is ad supported). So you never have the freedom to post what you want
there, even if it is fairly on-topic.

,,,,,,,,

The problem with discussing US politics at all is that you are either
defending conservatives who want to keep more useless things from the
past, or liberals who want more useless things for the future.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Im not sure what you are referring to as Spam. Actual Spam..adverts? Or
OT political stuff?

I never see any actual spam. Well..some one posts on a very sporadic
basis for tech manuals.

As for posters..Ive made a resolution today to lable any OT political
stuff OT at the subject line when replying to it.

That should help rid the group of OT posts by simply doing a quick and
easy filter.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 17:30:11 -0600, Pete S wrote:

This group wasn't always like it is currently.

When I complain, several of you simply chew me out for not simply filtering
the OT stuff out. But I have no way to do that.
And, when you talk about filtering, it just gives the impolite ones free
reign to do all they can to kill the newsgroup.

I'm afraid to mention my other connections, for fear the bad guys will
simply go there and screw them up, too.

Please, please stop the OT and political ranting here. Do it on your
facebook account or something,
Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Filtering,or not, has nothing to do with it. Nor is it your fault that
your honest post about this problem - will likely result in a flood of
what you despise. IMO, people behave badly because it is in _their_
character.

Like you, I would like to see "civilization" return to usenet, but I
think it's far too late for that.
Bill
--
Email address is a Spam trap.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 13:47:10 -0500, Bill wrote:

[...]

It's become the playground for psychopaths and emotionally disturbed
types who find it to be the ideal outlet for their pathological
fantasies. In real life they'd be shouted down, shunned, punched out,
or otherwise dismissed. Here, they can indulge themselves while
remaining anonymous.

Just guessing here, but it seems to me that, as a percentage of the
population, Usenet has attracted a proportion of those folks that is
at least 10X, and maybe 100X, their incidence in the population at
large.

And I agree that it's too late to change it.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Jan 23, 5:30*pm, "Pete S" wrote:
[...]

use some company there.- Hide quoted text -

The Dumb just becomes Dumber.

LOL..thanks for providing additional proof of what you have already
been doing for some time.

In your spare time you might want to read about Internet stalking.

And then consider that we already know who you are, where you live,
where you work..and that you live with your mother.

Enjoy your reading assignment.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

past, or liberals who want more useless things for the future.- Hide quoted text -

Well said.

But it is what we have to work with.

I personally do not filter since one has to sift through the chaff
before you find that kernel of information that is of importance.

One can see who posts...the conservative spammers are regulars who you
can ignore.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Gunner Asch- Hide quoted text -

LOL...go look in the mirror O Number One Conservative Spammer!

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 24, 1:07*pm, Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

Ed Huntress- Hide quoted text -

Well said Ed.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RCM doesn't have a spam problem, but it's infested with MWAs morons with
agendas, and other folks that keep tolerating their bull****, even
encouraging the pointless crap.

RCM would again be a fine forum with some diligence and effort.

The Delete key is likely the most efficient moderator one can use.. some
folks like playing with software/filter solutions, but in less than a
second, one can determine from a couple of subject words or the author name
that the post is a total waste of time.. there isn't going to be any
worthwhile information in that thread for as long as it lasts.

There are online forums which are moderated for metalworking, home shop DIY
types which don't have advertising inserted into discussion threads and
covering large portions of the screen.
The worthwhile foums may have the easily ignored Google links at the top or
bottom of a page, but that's about the extent of it.

The only freedom one gives up in a moderated forum is to act like a 2 year
old throwing a tantrum, a complete asshole, or otherwise MWA-uncivilized
stalker looking to stir up ****.
Behaving as mature and civilized creatures is just too restrictive on the
egos of some fanatics with agendas.
When folks refuse to accept that the forum is for metalworking topics,
they're booted from the members' list, as they should be.

Then, there are online non-forums, such as the how-to DIY sites which are
heavily saturated with advertising... and those are hardly worthwhile
reading for anyone wanting to complete a project.
Generally a lot of amateur "all ya gotta do is" suggestions by self imagined
MacGuyver-types, and folks with no experience in the areas associated with
normal shop practices (or safety concerns).
One that I saw recently was about how easy it is to make aluminum shine like
chrome.. a chromed motorcycle headlight housing was used for the example,
followed by half-assed instructions about using oven cleaner to remove
anodizing from aluminum.. blah, blah.
A total waste of time process, which has no safety cautions, nor methods of
keeping the labor intensive method of attaining a buffed aluminum finish
from oxidizing rapidly after all that work.

--
WB

"DougC" wrote in message

The problem with newsgroup spam is there's no way to get away from it
other than filtering somehow, since the spammers search usenet statistics
for the busiest groups to spam. If you've ever looked around at a lot of
oddball newsgroups, they may average little to no spam in the last ~12
months,,,, but they also usually have very few real posts as well.
Spammers won't waste their time posting to a group they know nobody
visits.

The problem with web forums is that they either cost you money directly (a
membership fee) or they have advertising. Their power to keep spam down is
the ability to block people from posting, even if you paid for a
membership (if it is a paid site) or if you criticize advertisers (if it
is ad supported). So you never have the freedom to post what you want
there, even if it is fairly on-topic.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DougC" wrote in message

The problem with newsgroup spam is there's no way to get away from it
other than filtering somehow, since the spammers search usenet statistics
for the busiest groups to spam. If you've ever looked around at a lot of
oddball newsgroups, they may average little to no spam in the last ~12
months,,,, but they also usually have very few real posts as well.
Spammers won't waste their time posting to a group they know nobody
visits.

The problem with web forums is that they either cost you money directly (a
membership fee) or they have advertising. Their power to keep spam down is
the ability to block people from posting, even if you paid for a
membership (if it is a paid site) or if you criticize advertisers (if it
is ad supported). So you never have the freedom to post what you want
there, even if it is fairly on-topic.- Hide quoted text -

Good post.

I too have found many do it yourself sites are worthless..only there
to get the ad traffic.

I would say that some of the moderated sites in my opinion do censor
too much with arbitrary standards.

One is run by an idiot whose over the top behavior resulted in
advertisers pulling ads from his site.

A second while better will wack anyone who suggests changes to their
cash cow magazine..

A third wacks anyone who diverts from the "approved" language list.

A fourth wacks anyone who hasn't voted for Bush and is a lifetime NRA
member.

I could continue to list sites and their respective problems but the
point is you work with what you have available.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, January 24, 2012 12:13:10 PM UTC-8, Wild_Bill wrote:
RCM doesn't have a spam problem, but it's infested with MWAs morons with
agendas, and other folks that keep tolerating their bull****, even
encouraging the pointless crap.

What is an "MWA"?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-24, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 04:02:36 -0600, DougC
wrote:

[ ... ]

The problem with newsgroup spam is there's no way to get away from it
other than filtering somehow, since the spammers search usenet
statistics for the busiest groups to spam. If you've ever looked around
at a lot of oddball newsgroups, they may average little to no spam in
the last ~12 months,,,, but they also usually have very few real posts
as well. Spammers won't waste their time posting to a group they know
nobody visits.

[ ... ]

Im not sure what you are referring to as Spam. Actual Spam..adverts? Or
OT political stuff?

I never see any actual spam. Well..some one posts on a very sporadic
basis for tech manuals.

Hmm ... I remember quite a few pushing Chinese copies of
sneakers/high-value purses/sports wear/etc. And others offering to
build your product in China or India.

I started blocking those by large IP block in the
less of other countries where we never see valid on-topic posts. Since
the sources are now filtered out, I don't know whether they are still
happening or not, but they certainly did in the past.

This is assuming that you are considering "spam" as trying to
sell a product or service. The political ones are trying to sell a
point of view, and are still spam by *my* point of view.

I seem to have already trimmed your comment about adding "OT" to
the Subject: line of political posts. This is good, as long as people
don't change it to "OT:", which gets assumed to be "" in some other
language, and trimmed and replaced by a single " " by Outlook
Express, and perhaps other Microsoft e-mail clients. Anything which is
two letters followed by a colon will suffer the same fate. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Try the South Bay metalworking group.
They are mostly silicon valley EE's who do metalworking as a hobby.
They have a club which has monthly meetings with show and tell.
There is not much activity on the group but they are receptive to
legitimate questions and have a fair amount of know- how.

Engineman