Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Any good metalworking forums?

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 13:47:10 -0500, Bill wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 17:30:11 -0600, Pete S wrote:

This group wasn't always like it is currently.

When I complain, several of you simply chew me out for not simply filtering
the OT stuff out. But I have no way to do that.
And, when you talk about filtering, it just gives the impolite ones free
reign to do all they can to kill the newsgroup.

I'm afraid to mention my other connections, for fear the bad guys will
simply go there and screw them up, too.

Please, please stop the OT and political ranting here. Do it on your
facebook account or something,
Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Filtering,or not, has nothing to do with it. Nor is it your fault that
your honest post about this problem - will likely result in a flood of
what you despise. IMO, people behave badly because it is in _their_
character.

Like you, I would like to see "civilization" return to usenet, but I
think it's far too late for that.
Bill

It's become the playground for psychopaths and emotionally disturbed
types who find it to be the ideal outlet for their pathological
fantasies. In real life they'd be shouted down, shunned, punched out,
or otherwise dismissed. Here, they can indulge themselves while
remaining anonymous.

Just guessing here, but it seems to me that, as a percentage of the
population, Usenet has attracted a proportion of those folks that is
at least 10X, and maybe 100X, their incidence in the population at
large.

And I agree that it's too late to change it.

--
Ed Huntress