Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Any good metalworking forums?

On 2012-01-24, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 04:02:36 -0600, DougC
wrote:

[ ... ]

The problem with newsgroup spam is there's no way to get away from it
other than filtering somehow, since the spammers search usenet
statistics for the busiest groups to spam. If you've ever looked around
at a lot of oddball newsgroups, they may average little to no spam in
the last ~12 months,,,, but they also usually have very few real posts
as well. Spammers won't waste their time posting to a group they know
nobody visits.

[ ... ]

Im not sure what you are referring to as Spam. Actual Spam..adverts? Or
OT political stuff?

I never see any actual spam. Well..some one posts on a very sporadic
basis for tech manuals.

Hmm ... I remember quite a few pushing Chinese copies of
sneakers/high-value purses/sports wear/etc. And others offering to
build your product in China or India.

I started blocking those by large IP block in the
less of other countries where we never see valid on-topic posts. Since
the sources are now filtered out, I don't know whether they are still
happening or not, but they certainly did in the past.

This is assuming that you are considering "spam" as trying to
sell a product or service. The political ones are trying to sell a
point of view, and are still spam by *my* point of view.

I seem to have already trimmed your comment about adding "OT" to
the Subject: line of political posts. This is good, as long as people
don't change it to "OT:", which gets assumed to be "" in some other
language, and trimmed and replaced by a single " " by Outlook
Express, and perhaps other Microsoft e-mail clients. Anything which is
two letters followed by a colon will suffer the same fate. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564