Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT, and a long shot, looking for Olympus voice recorder driver

Have an Olympus VN-240PC digital voice recorder I bought at a yard sale.
Got it dirt cheap and bought as it had a USB port. What I didn't know is
that it requires proprietary Olympus drivers to transfer files to a PC.
Olympus shows the disk, but trying to buy, I find it's no longer
available. I've got over half an hour of historical narration from a
trip down south last week that I want to transfer to my computer.
Does anyone here by any chance have this model and if so, would you be
willing to burn me a copy of the CD, or loan it?

Thanks,

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://members.driverguide.com/drive...s_vn-240pc.zip
--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
news
Have an Olympus VN-240PC digital voice recorder I bought at a yard sale.
Got it dirt cheap and bought as it had a USB port. What I didn't know is
that it requires proprietary Olympus drivers to transfer files to a PC.
Olympus shows the disk, but trying to buy, I find it's no longer
available. I've got over half an hour of historical narration from a trip
down south last week that I want to transfer to my computer.
Does anyone here by any chance have this model and if so, would you be
willing to burn me a copy of the CD, or loan it?

Thanks,

Jon

http://www.zylomed.com/download/olym...s_vn-240pc.zip

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks guys! Guess I didn't look hard enough. I did find a couple sites
that supposedly had the drivers, but when I saw the file I was about to
download, it was obviously an installer of some sort and I don't trust
those in general... Got the files I needed off the recorder!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message

Thanks guys! Guess I didn't look hard enough. I did find a couple sites
that supposedly had the drivers, but when I saw the file I was about to
download, it was obviously an installer of some sort and I don't trust
those in general... Got the files I needed off the recorder!

No prob.

Usually what I do is try and determine the filename of the driver that's
needed and then I search for *it* by name...

For example : sxz3473.2f69.zip

--not sure why, but usually I end up avoiding most of the fake download
sites if I do it that way...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:
Thanks guys! Guess I didn't look hard enough. I did find a couple sites
that supposedly had the drivers, but when I saw the file I was about to
download, it was obviously an installer of some sort and I don't trust
those in general... Got the files I needed off the recorder!

The Olympus voice recorders 'time out' and become
non-functional in very short order.
One does not purchase an Olympus digital voice
recorder. It is a rental at a 'purchase' price.

I have three of them in my desk drawer that did that.

They are the only game in town, though.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
... They are the only game in town, though.
--Winston

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4n/

I gave my sister one to record her piano concerts in CD format.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/1/2012 10:09 PM, Winston wrote:

The Olympus voice recorders 'time out' and become
non-functional in very short order.
One does not purchase an Olympus digital voice
recorder. It is a rental at a 'purchase' price.

Well lucky for me I got it cheap ($5) and it's not timed out.
I grabbed it on a last second impulse heading out the door. Wish I'd
thought to D/L a manual sooner. I was in the Schedule folder. Had it in
my shirt pocket and accidentally triggered the record button, so
recorded some initial conversation I thought I'd missed. When I
remembered it and started recording, it timed out that session at half
an hour. When I tried to start again, it said Full. I think that was
just that particular folder that was full. So I lost the majority of the
day. But thanks to the proper drivers, I found I have nearly an hour
total, and am happy to have that!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/2/2012 11:01 AM, Winston wrote:

Let me clarify.

I didn't mean that the FLASH memory filled up
(Well it does, but...).

I meant that after recording and dumping a very
few entries to computer, the Olympus digital
machines stop functioning completely.

Oh, I gathered what you meant pretty much. As for it filling up, I knew
it should have recorded several hours, but wasn't aware of limitations
on individual sessions. When it said Full, I felt there should have been
more space available, I was just was too into where I was and what I was
doing, not to mention being bounced along bumpy dirt roads, to start
playing with buttons and menus. Which would have been made all the more
difficult given I didn't have my glasses with me...

Do sure appreciate the warning though, I'll be buying one of those nice
Handy Recorders for future use.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:
On 1/2/2012 11:01 AM, Winston wrote:

Let me clarify.

I didn't mean that the FLASH memory filled up
(Well it does, but...).

I meant that after recording and dumping a very
few entries to computer, the Olympus digital
machines stop functioning completely.

Oh, I gathered what you meant pretty much. As for it filling up, I knew
it should have recorded several hours, but wasn't aware of limitations
on individual sessions.

One of my recordings went almost 8 hours.

When it said Full, I felt there should have been
more space available, I was just was too into where I was and what I was
doing, not to mention being bounced along bumpy dirt roads, to start
playing with buttons and menus. Which would have been made all the more
difficult given I didn't have my glasses with me...

Do sure appreciate the warning though, I'll be buying one of those nice
Handy Recorders for future use.

Oh Yeah! Looks like it will do everything except
make toast. Very nice.

--Winston