Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New hip (metal content)

Kind of metal related. Getting a new hip (metal) on Thursday. Been bothering me for over 25 years.
Funny about pain. Can come on very sloooowly. You kind of don't feel it but people around you sense it. My doctor convinced me to take a shot in the hip and see if my lifestyle changes. I didn't notice any change, but my SWMBO said I became much more active. Instead of one trip to the shop (100 ft., carrying as much as I can) I made 20-30 trips, thoughtlessly. Also lost 10 lbs. in about 2 weeks time. Shot lasted exactly 4 weeks and then I realized that I had been in pain all along (prior to the shot).
Most significantly SWMBO said I was no longer crabby during that period!

If any of you have “been there, done that” I would like to hear from you.

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 06:24:40 -0800 (PST), Ivan Vegvary
wrote:

Kind of metal related. Getting a new hip (metal) on Thursday. Been bothering me for over 25 years.
Funny about pain. Can come on very sloooowly. You kind of don't feel it but people around you sense it. My doctor convinced me to take a shot in the hip and see if my lifestyle changes. I didn't notice any change, but my SWMBO said I became much more active. Instead of one trip to the shop (100 ft., carrying as much as I can) I made 20-30 trips, thoughtlessly. Also lost 10 lbs. in about 2 weeks time. Shot lasted exactly 4 weeks and then I realized that I had been in pain all along (prior to the shot).
Most significantly SWMBO said I was no longer crabby during that period!

If any of you have “been there, done that” I would like to hear from you.

I haven't been there, but my neighor 4 doors down is on his 4th and
last hip. One leg is 3 inches shorter than the other now and he wears
a builtup shoe sole. Needless to say, he's on disability. I can ask
him for advice for you if you like, Ivan. I think he's tried both
plastics and metal during his 60 years on Earth.

--
In reality, serendipity accounts for one percent of the blessings
we receive in life, work and love. The other 99 percent is due to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Kind of metal related. Getting a new hip (metal) on Thursday. Been
bothering me for over 25 years.
Funny about pain. Can come on very sloooowly. You kind of don't feel it but
people around you sense it. My doctor convinced me to take a shot in the
hip and see if my lifestyle changes. I didn't notice any change, but my
SWMBO said I became much more active. Instead of one trip to the shop (100
ft., carrying as much as I can) I made 20-30 trips, thoughtlessly. Also
lost 10 lbs. in about 2 weeks time. Shot lasted exactly 4 weeks and then I
realized that I had been in pain all along (prior to the shot).
Most significantly SWMBO said I was no longer crabby during that period!

If any of you have “been there, done that” I would like to hear from you.

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

My comments are mainly on pain.

I have to go get evaluated for my left hip. Anything that flexes it outward
like sitting crosslegged on the floor makes me feel like someone is twisting
it out of the socket.

I have a lot of pain from broken back, two shoulder surgeries, knee
operations, and lots of hard tumbles and knocks over the years. A life like
a professional athlete. Results from extreme hyperbaric exposure. I am in
pain management, and taking one of the cutting edge drugs, a new synthetic
time release morphine. Other than my hip, my back and neck degeneration are
inoperable because there isn't enough good bone to hook to.

A good day is a day without pain, and now, it's a good day if I just have a
low level. My scale goes to 14 where most people go to 10.

It sure is a drag to get something that's progressively worse. It is a long
series of adjustments. Stop doing this. Cut back on that. Get physical
aids to do things you used to just do. Meds management.

I have known several people who have had hips and knees replaced. EVERY
one, save one, said it changed their lives, and improved them tremendously.
That one got one of those defective ones, and they just changed it. All had
relatively easy rehabs, and now can do things they could not before.

It's like when I had heart surgery. Three doctors said, "You're going to be
amazed at how much better you are going to feel." They were totally right.

I speak from my heart surgery experience. You're going to be
"uncomfortable" for a week to two, but they give you medicines. Then one
day, you will wake up, and say, "Hell, I feel a lot better." From there,
it's downhill. Don't reject or ignore the therapy. That's the equivalent
break in time, and it really affects how long and how good the thing will
last.

Good luck. As with heart surgeries, they are as common as appendectomies
today. The technology and metal are fully developed. As long as you have
no other major health issues, you got a 99.9% rate of survival.

Steve
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Good luck. As with heart surgeries, they are as common as appendectomies
today. The technology and metal are fully developed. As long as you have
no other major health issues, you got a 99.9% rate of survival.

Steve
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com

Sorry to hear about your constant pain.
Steve, thanks for the kind words.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
[...]

Chronic lower back pain . Some days worse , especially in stormy weather .
Mine's probably not as severe as many , but it's *always* there . Most days
I take nothing , sometimes a couple of ibuprofen , occasionally it's bad
enough for something stronger .
And my grandkids call me Grumpaw .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/6/2011 6:24 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Kind of metal related. Getting a new hip (metal) on Thursday. Been bothering me for over 25 years.
Funny about pain. Can come on very sloooowly. You kind of don't feel it but people around you sense it. My doctor convinced me to take a shot in the hip and see if my lifestyle changes. I didn't notice any change, but my SWMBO said I became much more active. Instead of one trip to the shop (100 ft., carrying as much as I can) I made 20-30 trips, thoughtlessly. Also lost 10 lbs. in about 2 weeks time. Shot lasted exactly 4 weeks and then I realized that I had been in pain all along (prior to the shot).
Most significantly SWMBO said I was no longer crabby during that period!

If any of you have “been there, done that” I would like to hear from you.

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

Sorry to hear of your problem. I haven't gone there, but have friends
and relatives that have. If you're diabetic, expect a long recovery.
Hope not.

If the replacement is titanium, then it's probably cast right here in
Redmond, Oregon.

We have a new circuit board customer that is engineering devices to
automate the manufacture of replacement components based on 3D x-ray
scans of the original and the socket it fits.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary formulated on Wednesday :
Kind of metal related. Getting a new hip (metal) on Thursday. Been
bothering me for over 25 years. Funny about pain. Can come on very sloooowly.
You kind of don't feel it but people around you sense it. My doctor
convinced me to take a shot in the hip and see if my lifestyle changes. I
didn't notice any change, but my SWMBO said I became much more active.
Instead of one trip to the shop (100 ft., carrying as much as I can) I made
20-30 trips, thoughtlessly. Also lost 10 lbs. in about 2 weeks time. Shot
lasted exactly 4 weeks and then I realized that I had been in pain all along
(prior to the shot). Most significantly SWMBO said I was no longer crabby
during that period!

If any of you have €śbeen there, done that€ť I would like to hear from you.

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

After a lot of pain I had my left hip replaced in 1988 and the right
one in 1992. Yes 20 years ago.
They are both still going fine with no pain after the first week or so.
And yes I am 77 now.
I believe the originals were damaged in a car accident but no doctor
would admit it at the time.

--
John G.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 6, 7:24*am, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Kind of metal related. *Getting a new hip (metal) on Thursday. *Been bothering me for over 25 years.
Funny about pain. Can come on very sloooowly. *You kind of don't feel it but people around you sense it. *My doctor convinced me to take a shot in the hip and see if my lifestyle changes. *I didn't notice any change, but my SWMBO said I became much more active. *Instead of one trip to the shop (100 ft., carrying as much as I can) I made 20-30 trips, thoughtlessly.. *Also lost 10 lbs. in about 2 weeks time. *Shot lasted exactly 4 weeks and then I realized that I had been in pain all along (prior to the shot)..
Most significantly SWMBO said I was no longer crabby during that period!

If any of you have “been there, done that” I would like to hear from you.

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

Went through two of these a couple of years ago 6 months apart, left
one was worst and first. Used "cobalt-chrome" implants, fancy phrase
for Stellite, said it would last 20+ years. Both hips were out of the
sockets, grinding on the pelvic bone, no cartilage left. Had put up
with that for years. Doc saw the X-rays, said, "when do you want the
surgery?". Had to do a heart bypass first, found that problem with
the pre-op checkout for the hips, so had to wait a year after that.
Would be in a wheelchair or the ground if I hadn't had everything
taken care of. First one took about 7 hours. DO WHAT THE PT PERSON
SAYS!!! If you don't, you won't have full joint movement. Do the
exercises, no matter how it hurts. Had me up on my feet the day
after, didn't feel so great but I made it around the hall and back.
Second one was a lot better, could actually get up and down steps the
day afterwards. Out of the hospital in 3 days. Off the Percocets and
driving in 10 days. Really didn't have any debilitating pain, just a
dull ache. Went away after a couple of weeks. Biggest problem was
the leg muscles had balled up in a knot, happened on both sides. Had
that because the doc stretched the muscles getting the leg bone out of
the incision so he could whack off the knob and stick in the implant.
PT gal had to massage the leg, gradually reduced the knot over a
couple of weeks and range of movement got greater each time. Opiates
will plug you up, they recommend Ducolax or the like starting before
the operation. Kaiser had a class for implant patients, what to do
post-op, etc. Hope you get the same. I went with a spinal instead of
general anesthetic both times, saved a lot of time with that crazy
lung exerciser gadget that I had to do when I got the general with the
heart surgery. Near as we can tell, the doc got both legs within a
1/4" of each other's length, pretty good for eyeballing it. Guy does
a bunch of these a week, plus fixing other people's mistakes. Don't
begrudge him the gold Rolex at all.

Biggest thing since is the change in mood, much brighter outlook on
things. Hadn't realized how much that constant dull ache colored
things mood-wise. Can get up and down ladders and deer stands, can
pick up and move tools that I'd lost the ability to lift.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

Damn fine post, sir. Do those exercises no matter how much they hurt. I
wish I could have seen how I'd be now without the stupid (on my part) ATV
accident that broke my back. I'd be cruisin'................

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 11:32:29 -0600, "Snag" wrote:

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
[...]

Ive had 2 back surgeries, 14 broken bones, heart surgery and Ive been
shot 3, and bayoneted once and stabbed once.

I take no meds for pain but use autohypnosis, which really does work

http://www.thread-of-awareness.com/HYPNO1.HTM

I also use it for relaxation

http://www.mindtools.com/stress/Rela...lfHypnosis.htm

Try it..it may well help those with chronic pain issues.

I use it regularly and it does indeed work for me.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Kind of metal related. Getting a new hip (metal) on Thursday. Been bothering me for over 25 years.
Funny about pain. Can come on very sloooowly. You kind of don't feel it but people around you sense it. My doctor convinced me to take a shot in the hip and see if my lifestyle changes. I didn't notice any change, but my SWMBO said I became much more active. Instead of one trip to the shop (100 ft., carrying as much as I can) I made 20-30 trips, thoughtlessly. Also lost 10 lbs. in about 2 weeks time. Shot lasted exactly 4 weeks and then I realized that I had been in pain all along (prior to the shot).
Most significantly SWMBO said I was no longer crabby during that period!

If any of you have “been there, done that” I would like to hear from you.

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

Greetings Ivan,
I have not had a hip replacement myself but I do knoe several men who
have had either hip or knee replacements. In every case they have been
very happy with the new joints. Chronic pain is indeed something that
can have a really strong negative effect on your quality of life. If
artificial wrist joints were made that can stand up to the typical
loads that metalworking and land maintenance put on them I would get
them installed asap. So good luck and enjoy! And after the
installation be sure to do all the physical therapy. I learned that
physical therapy done right can make a huge difference in the outcome.
After several reconstructive surgeries and the therapy required
subsequent to the surgeries I witnessed people who would not do what
they were told who ended up having limited range of motion. People who
had lesser injuries than mine but outcomes worse than mine. I saw this
several times, enough to know it wasn't that I was just healing
better. So get the hip, do the exercises, and you'll get all the
benefits.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My 80+ yo neighbor broke his hip teaming his oxen in rocky woodland.
Toughed it out for two weeks (!) because, you know, you only go to the
hospital to die. So he went to the hospital to die and they put in
a prosthetic joint. The the PT babe comes around and says, "Do thus and
so and the push as hard as you can."

Well, the PT babe sees flabby, weak retired accountant octegenarians.
So Sammy pushes and his new hip simply pops out of its socket. Well,
he's been loading and unloading a cord of wood every day plus feeding
and driving his oxen before the woods accident. Not flabby.

Surgeon resets his hip, chagrinned PT babe does her thing more
carefully. And he doesn't die. Six months later he's out in the woods
again, loading cordwood with his oxen and went on doing that till
nearly 90, the year before he died.

Among people I know, there's a total of 5 hips, all of them success.

ObMetalwork: Circa 1973, an MD friend brought me a metal hip ball that
he'd fished out of the OR sink -- shiny, pretty thing. (Replaced
because of a bad rection to the alloy in that particular
patient. Doesn't happen much anymore.) He wanted me to make a door
knocker out of it. So I did and had it on display at a craft market
where he was to pick it up. Annnnnnddd....

A surgeon came by, saw the knocker and threw a hissy fit. Bad taste, I
had no right, where did I steal it, what surgeon gave it to me, not
right for people to see such a thing yada yada. Managed to get rid of
him before my friend showed up.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Kind of metal related. Getting a new hip (metal) on Thursday. Been
bothering me for over 25 years.

Funny about pain. Can come on very sloooowly. You kind of don't feel
it but people around you sense it. My doctor convinced me to take a
shot in the hip and see if my lifestyle changes. I didn't notice any
change, but my SWMBO said I became much more active. Instead of one
trip to the shop (100 ft., carrying as much as I can) I made 20-30
trips, thoughtlessly. Also lost 10 lbs. in about 2 weeks time. Shot
lasted exactly 4 weeks and then I realized that I had been in pain
all along (prior to the shot).

Most significantly SWMBO said I was no longer crabby during that period!

If any of you have “been there, done that” I would like to hear from you.

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

Only one thing I can pass on from Mom, specifically about getting both
your knees done but it probably applies to hips too: If you need
them both done, do them both in one shot and get it over with. One
operation, One recovery, One PT and retraining period, and you are
Done With It and back in your little Stick car and back to your active
life.

The surgeons and hospital staff don't like it and will resist doing it
that way, because the surgery takes almost twice as long but they only
get paid a small premium for the extra time - Less that they could get
for getting two people through the operating room (one joint each) in
the same day, and they get to go to Lunch on time.

The Hospital doesn't like it, because they only get one operating room
charge out of you, and one recovery stay...

But SCREW THEM, it's your body. You really want to go under General
Anesthesia and through all that associated crap twice? I sure the
hell don't, and hope I never have to - but that's the way to go.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)"
wrote

But SCREW THEM, it's your body. You really want to go under General
Anesthesia and through all that associated crap twice? I sure the
hell don't, and hope I never have to - but that's the way to go.

-- Bruce --

I've been asleep and awake during major procedures. The ones while awake
were quite interesting, and the conversation revealed a lot to me. Still,
I'm not sure if I could tolerate a whole hip replacement under a local.
Sometimes, I just want to sleep through it, and not know.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Kind of metal related. Getting a new hip (metal) on Thursday. Been bothering me for over 25 years.
Funny about pain. Can come on very sloooowly. You kind of don't feel it but people around you sense it. My doctor convinced me to take a shot in the hip and see if my lifestyle changes. I didn't notice any change, but my SWMBO said I became much more active. Instead of one trip to the shop (100 ft., carrying as much as I can) I made 20-30 trips, thoughtlessly. Also lost 10 lbs. in about 2 weeks time. Shot lasted exactly 4 weeks and then I realized that I had been in pain all along (prior to the shot).
Most significantly SWMBO said I was no longer crabby during that period!

If any of you have “been there, done that” I would like to hear from you.

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

Hey Ivan,

I had 2 new knees done in 2008. Working great.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

This sounds like he had a surgical infection that got into the bone.

Joe Gwinn