Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) is offline

Default New hip (metal content)

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 06:24:40 -0800 (PST), Ivan Vegvary
wrote:

Kind of metal related. Getting a new hip (metal) on Thursday. Been
bothering me for over 25 years.

Funny about pain. Can come on very sloooowly. You kind of don't feel
it but people around you sense it. My doctor convinced me to take a
shot in the hip and see if my lifestyle changes. I didn't notice any
change, but my SWMBO said I became much more active. Instead of one
trip to the shop (100 ft., carrying as much as I can) I made 20-30
trips, thoughtlessly. Also lost 10 lbs. in about 2 weeks time. Shot
lasted exactly 4 weeks and then I realized that I had been in pain
all along (prior to the shot).

Most significantly SWMBO said I was no longer crabby during that period!

If any of you have “been there, done that” I would like to hear from you.

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

Only one thing I can pass on from Mom, specifically about getting both
your knees done but it probably applies to hips too: If you need
them both done, do them both in one shot and get it over with. One
operation, One recovery, One PT and retraining period, and you are
Done With It and back in your little Stick car and back to your active
life.

The surgeons and hospital staff don't like it and will resist doing it
that way, because the surgery takes almost twice as long but they only
get paid a small premium for the extra time - Less that they could get
for getting two people through the operating room (one joint each) in
the same day, and they get to go to Lunch on time.

The Hospital doesn't like it, because they only get one operating room
charge out of you, and one recovery stay...

But SCREW THEM, it's your body. You really want to go under General
Anesthesia and through all that associated crap twice? I sure the
hell don't, and hope I never have to - but that's the way to go.

-- Bruce --