Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default New hip (metal content)

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
news:11102159.161.1323181480015.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@prol32...
Kind of metal related. Getting a new hip (metal) on Thursday. Been
bothering me for over 25 years.
Funny about pain. Can come on very sloooowly. You kind of don't feel it but
people around you sense it. My doctor convinced me to take a shot in the
hip and see if my lifestyle changes. I didn't notice any change, but my
SWMBO said I became much more active. Instead of one trip to the shop (100
ft., carrying as much as I can) I made 20-30 trips, thoughtlessly. Also
lost 10 lbs. in about 2 weeks time. Shot lasted exactly 4 weeks and then I
realized that I had been in pain all along (prior to the shot).
Most significantly SWMBO said I was no longer crabby during that period!

If any of you have “been there, done that” I would like to hear from you.

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

My comments are mainly on pain.

I have to go get evaluated for my left hip. Anything that flexes it outward
like sitting crosslegged on the floor makes me feel like someone is twisting
it out of the socket.

I have a lot of pain from broken back, two shoulder surgeries, knee
operations, and lots of hard tumbles and knocks over the years. A life like
a professional athlete. Results from extreme hyperbaric exposure. I am in
pain management, and taking one of the cutting edge drugs, a new synthetic
time release morphine. Other than my hip, my back and neck degeneration are
inoperable because there isn't enough good bone to hook to.

A good day is a day without pain, and now, it's a good day if I just have a
low level. My scale goes to 14 where most people go to 10.

It sure is a drag to get something that's progressively worse. It is a long
series of adjustments. Stop doing this. Cut back on that. Get physical
aids to do things you used to just do. Meds management.

I have known several people who have had hips and knees replaced. EVERY
one, save one, said it changed their lives, and improved them tremendously.
That one got one of those defective ones, and they just changed it. All had
relatively easy rehabs, and now can do things they could not before.

It's like when I had heart surgery. Three doctors said, "You're going to be
amazed at how much better you are going to feel." They were totally right.

I speak from my heart surgery experience. You're going to be
"uncomfortable" for a week to two, but they give you medicines. Then one
day, you will wake up, and say, "Hell, I feel a lot better." From there,
it's downhill. Don't reject or ignore the therapy. That's the equivalent
break in time, and it really affects how long and how good the thing will
last.

Good luck. As with heart surgeries, they are as common as appendectomies
today. The technology and metal are fully developed. As long as you have
no other major health issues, you got a 99.9% rate of survival.

Steve
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com