Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bandsaw for sale

As i recall someone said they needed a bandsaw a few weeks back.

Powermatic 20" bandsaw, band saw in very good condition. 220V, single phase
power. Complete with fence guide, miter gauge, operating instructions and
parts list. Price is firm $1,200.00. Made in USA. If you are interested,
leave your name and phone number, Thanks 365-9247

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/tls/2705362835.html

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 03:25:16 -0800, "Howard Beal"
wrote:

As i recall someone said they needed a bandsaw a few weeks back.

Powermatic 20" bandsaw, band saw in very good condition. 220V, single phase
power. Complete with fence guide, miter gauge, operating instructions and
parts list. Price is firm $1,200.00. Made in USA. If you are interested,
leave your name and phone number, Thanks 365-9247

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/tls/2705362835.html

Best Regards
Tom.

Nice saw and a very very fair price!

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

As i recall someone said they needed a bandsaw a few weeks back.

Powermatic 20" bandsaw, band saw in very good condition. 220V, single
phase
power. Complete with fence guide, miter gauge, operating instructions and
parts list. Price is firm $1,200.00. Made in USA. If you are interested,
leave your name and phone number, Thanks 365-9247

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/tls/2705362835.html

Best Regards
Tom.

Nice saw and a very very fair price!

If i didn't allready have a bandsaw i would scoop it up
for myself. Looks like its in a factory so shipping should
be no problem.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

OK, I have a dumb question. When is a vertical bandsaw like that
Powermatic, better than a horizontal?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/4/2011 9:16 AM, Ignoramus20484 wrote:
OK, I have a dumb question. When is a vertical bandsaw like that
Powermatic, better than a horizontal?

This is a wood-cutting bandsaw, not metal (altho some have dual-speed
setup, don't know this particular model well enough to know otomh
whether is or not).

Larger saws such as this are quite frequently used for resawing or
making solid veneers or turners use them for laying out large bowl
blanks and the like.

Also, of course, they have the advantage over the TS or RAS of being
able to cut curves for pieces such as chair legs, etc., etc., ...

All in all, very useful devices to move the material rather than the
saw. I'd seriously consider it to upgrade the small one here if were
closer; it is good value at the price.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-04, dpb wrote:
On 12/4/2011 9:16 AM, Ignoramus20484 wrote:
OK, I have a dumb question. When is a vertical bandsaw like that
Powermatic, better than a horizontal?

This is a wood-cutting bandsaw, not metal (altho some have dual-speed
setup, don't know this particular model well enough to know otomh
whether is or not).

Larger saws such as this are quite frequently used for resawing or
making solid veneers or turners use them for laying out large bowl
blanks and the like.

Also, of course, they have the advantage over the TS or RAS of being
able to cut curves for pieces such as chair legs, etc., etc., ...

All in all, very useful devices to move the material rather than the
saw. I'd seriously consider it to upgrade the small one here if were
closer; it is good value at the price.

--

Thanks. I was thinking about cutting metal, not wood.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 09:16:07 -0600, Ignoramus20484
wrote:

OK, I have a dumb question. When is a vertical bandsaw like that
Powermatic, better than a horizontal?

When cutting detailed work pieces. A horizontal is strictly for cutting
to length. Making long pieces..or bundles of long pieces..into shorter
pieces.

A vertical is used for cutting out parts in plate and ones and twos of
shortening.

You didnt know this????????

Blink blink...blink?

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 09:44:42 -0600, Ignoramus20484
wrote:

On 2011-12-04, dpb wrote:
[...]

I have a 20" Walker Turner, varidrive and has the high/low speed gearbox
that is surplus to my needs. I also have a 16", same setup that is
running in my shop. Which one should I sell..and which one should I
keep?

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Howard Beal" wrote in message
As i recall someone said they needed a bandsaw a few weeks back.

Powermatic 20" bandsaw, band saw in very good condition. 220V, single
phase power. Complete with fence guide, miter gauge, operating
instructions and parts list. Price is firm $1,200.00. Made in USA. If you
are interested, leave your name and phone number, Thanks 365-9247

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/tls/2705362835.html

Best Regards
Tom.

I am considering a horizontal band saw.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

OK, I have a dumb question. When is a vertical bandsaw like that
Powermatic, better than a horizontal?

When cutting detailed work pieces. A horizontal is strictly for cutting
to length. Making long pieces..or bundles of long pieces..into shorter
pieces.

A vertical is used for cutting out parts in plate and ones and twos of
shortening.

You didnt know this????????

Blink blink...blink?

I honestly did not know. Now that I do know, I am sure that I only
need a horizontal. Might even sell my chop saw.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-05, Steve B wrote:

"Howard Beal" wrote in message
As i recall someone said they needed a bandsaw a few weeks back.

Powermatic 20" bandsaw, band saw in very good condition. 220V, single
phase power. Complete with fence guide, miter gauge, operating
instructions and parts list. Price is firm $1,200.00. Made in USA. If you
are interested, leave your name and phone number, Thanks 365-9247

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/tls/2705362835.html

Best Regards
Tom.

I am considering a horizontal band saw.

You will love one! They can cut big pieces and mine is a "set and
forget" variety. I start the cut, it cuts, and turns itself off when
it is done.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

OK, I have a dumb question. When is a vertical bandsaw like that
Powermatic, better than a horizontal?

When cutting detailed work pieces. A horizontal is strictly for cutting
to length. Making long pieces..or bundles of long pieces..into shorter
pieces.

A vertical is used for cutting out parts in plate and ones and twos of
shortening.

You didnt know this????????

Blink blink...blink?

I honestly did not know. Now that I do know, I am sure that I only
need a horizontal. Might even sell my chop saw.

I keep an abrasive wheel in the chop saw for hardened steel much better than
ruining a bandsaw blade.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-04, Ignoramus20484 wrote:
OK, I have a dumb question. When is a vertical bandsaw like that
Powermatic, better than a horizontal?

The horizontal's strong point is is cutting bar stock to length,
pretty much unattended once the workpiece is locked in the vise and the
motor started. (It should switch off when the cut is complete.) And
serious versions are equipped with coolant pumps to keep the blade and
the kerf flooded with coolant.

The vertical's strong point is cutting material from flat stock,
either straight cuts, or following outlines to minimize the amount of
metal which needs to be removed by a milling cutter.

A vertical with a blade welder installed in the column is also
particularly nice at cutting out a hole of whatever shape in the middle
of the plate stock. You drill a hole large enough for the blade to fit
through, and in the part of the stock to be removed, cut the blade,
thread it though, weld it (and grind the flash off), thread it back onto
the wheels and guides, and cut from that hole, following the outline,
until you reach that hole again and the slug drops free.

If all you have is a lathe and a bunch of rod stock, the
horizontal is all you need. If you also work with a milling machine and
a bunch of flat stock, the vertical is preferred. Generally, it is nice
to have one of each.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-04, Ignoramus20484 wrote:
OK, I have a dumb question. When is a vertical bandsaw like that
Powermatic, better than a horizontal?

The horizontal's strong point is is cutting bar stock to length,
pretty much unattended once the workpiece is locked in the vise and the
motor started. (It should switch off when the cut is complete.) And
serious versions are equipped with coolant pumps to keep the blade and
the kerf flooded with coolant.

Mine has provisions for coolant. It does not seem to work, I will
check into it when I get time tomorrow.

The vertical's strong point is cutting material from flat stock,
either straight cuts, or following outlines to minimize the amount of
metal which needs to be removed by a milling cutter.

I do not need that much.

A vertical with a blade welder installed in the column is also
particularly nice at cutting out a hole of whatever shape in the middle
of the plate stock. You drill a hole large enough for the blade to fit
through, and in the part of the stock to be removed, cut the blade,
thread it though, weld it (and grind the flash off), thread it back onto
the wheels and guides, and cut from that hole, following the outline,
until you reach that hole again and the slug drops free.

If all you have is a lathe and a bunch of rod stock, the
horizontal is all you need. If you also work with a milling machine and
a bunch of flat stock, the vertical is preferred. Generally, it is nice
to have one of each.

I think that I will have just one, the horizontal. THis Wilton seems
to be relatively honestly made.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 20:17:52 -0800, "PrecisionmachinisT"

m...
wrote:

OK, I have a dumb question. When is a vertical bandsaw like that
Powermatic, better than a horizontal?

When cutting detailed work pieces. A horizontal is strictly for cutting
to length. Making long pieces..or bundles of long pieces..into shorter
pieces.

A vertical is used for cutting out parts in plate and ones and twos of
shortening.

You didnt know this????????

Blink blink...blink?

I honestly did not know. Now that I do know, I am sure that I only
need a horizontal. Might even sell my chop saw.

I keep an abrasive wheel in the chop saw for hardened steel much better than
ruining a bandsaw blade.

Yes indeed. They work great on hardened steel. Now..will your chop saw
cut a piece of 8" diameter work? Will it cut out a jigsaw puzzle? Will
it cut wood? Will it cut complex curves and features..and will it cut
out holes in plate as small as 3/4" in diameter?

My vertical bandsaw will do all the above.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

OK, I have a dumb question. When is a vertical bandsaw like that
Powermatic, better than a horizontal?

When cutting detailed work pieces. A horizontal is strictly for cutting
to length. Making long pieces..or bundles of long pieces..into shorter
pieces.

A vertical is used for cutting out parts in plate and ones and twos of
shortening.

You didnt know this????????

Blink blink...blink?

I honestly did not know. Now that I do know, I am sure that I only
need a horizontal. Might even sell my chop saw.

Gonna cut that T1 plate right handy with that bandsaw..a couple blades
and a day or so.

Keep em both.

Both have applications that one is better than the other for.

Try cutting a brick on your bandsaw.

Works fine on the chop saw.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus20484" wrote

You will love one! They can cut big pieces and mine is a "set and
forget" variety. I start the cut, it cuts, and turns itself off when
it is done.

I have one of the little HF green ones that everyone hates. I musta got a
good one. So far, no problems. I do love the things you mentioned about
it. I recently went and bought a Makita chop saw for the container roof
job, as I had a LOT of cutting to do. But I found a deal that threw in a
4.5" grinder with the paddle switch. A good price for what everyone else
wanted for just the saw.

I have informed SWMBO that there will be a bigger horizontal band saw and a
Hypertherm Plasma cutter showing up around here soon. Mainly trying to find
a deal on a band saw, and decide what size of a plasma cutter I need.

Her 2005 Thunderbird will be appearing Friday, shipped from Florida, so I
figure I can splurge a little, too. She had a '65 as a 16 year old, and
just fell in love with a 2005 50th Anniversary Special Edition, so had to
get it.

That will make the band saw and plasma cutter a little easier to slide
in............

Life is good, and she says I can drive the 'Bird. It's a
hardtop/convertible. Now I gotta go get a new brightly colored Comeaux
welding hat, and some cheap sunglasses ................

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
OK, I have a dumb question. When is a vertical bandsaw like that
Powermatic, better than a horizontal?

When cutting detailed work pieces. *A horizontal is strictly for cutting
to length. Making long pieces..or bundles of long pieces..into shorter
pieces.

A vertical is used for cutting out parts in plate and ones and twos of
shortening.

You didnt know this????????

Blink blink...blink?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Gunner Asch

Hey Ig...Gummer is green with jealousy with you being successful while
he is..err..posting thousands of conservative crap posts on Usenet.

Blink blink...blink

Laugh..laugh..laugh..

The only stupid question is the one that is not asked.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On 2011-12-04, dpb wrote:
[...]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Gunner Asch- Hide quoted text -

You should sell both and pay your long suffering creditors whose
children go to bed hungry because of you.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 4, 10:22*pm, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:
On 2011-12-04, Ignoramus20484 wrote:

[...]

* * * * * (too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
* * * * * *--- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---

Well said...I have a number of both and would not want to lose any of
their collective capability.

TMT