Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Laser tape measure

What's a good one for around $25? Plus or minus a foot or so is good
enough.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-14, Steve B wrote:
What's a good one for around $25? Plus or minus a foot or so is good
enough.

Plus or minus a foot out of what distance?

Out of a yard it would be quite terrible accuracy.

Out of a mile would be fairly reasonable.

Not that I know any to suggest anyway, but add the range to get
more reasonable responses.

And for indoors, there are also ultrasonic ones, which bounce
the sound off the far wall (if the room is not too cluttered).

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-14, Steve B wrote:
What's a good one for around $25? Plus or minus a foot or so is good
enough.

[...]

And for indoors, there are also ultrasonic ones, which bounce
the sound off the far wall (if the room is not too cluttered).

Things may have changed in the last few years, but I'd recommend
reading the fine print on the model you select carefully.

The last time I went looking for one of these, a sub-$200 "laser
tape measure" meant "ultrasonic with a built-in laser pointer for
aiming".

(If I'm wrong, please let me know. I could use a couple of $25
Sick-type laser rangers for a robot I have in mind... grin!)

Frank McKenney
--
Buddhists say you need three things in life: something to do,
something to love, and something to hope for.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

m...

On 2011-11-14, Steve B wrote:
[...]

[reply]

I have one of the Stanley laser tapes, made under license from Leitz, for
which I paid around $80 or $90 at HD, on sale a few years ago. It claims
accuracy of +/- 1/8" at, I think, 100'. I've only checked it against steel
tapes out to around 20', because that's as far as I trust them, and from
what I can tell, it's around twice as accurate as the guarantee. I do get
readings out to around 100' with it but a steel tape at that distance has
catenary sag all over the place, so I haven't checked accuracy at that
range.

I use it all the time and love it.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-14, Steve B wrote:
What's a good one for around $25? Plus or minus a foot or so is good
enough.

[...]

And for indoors, there are also ultrasonic ones, which bounce
the sound off the far wall (if the room is not too cluttered).

Things may have changed in the last few years, but I'd recommend
reading the fine print on the model you select carefully.

The last time I went looking for one of these, a sub-$200 "laser
tape measure" meant "ultrasonic with a built-in laser pointer for
aiming".

There are quite a few real laser rangers available in the $100-$150
range currently:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_91123-353-DLR130K_4294936478+5003699__?productId=3069647&Ntt =laser&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_50%2B100_4294936478%2 B5003699__s%3FNtt%3Dlaser&facetInfo=$50%20-%20$100

http://www.lowes.com/pd_162023-353-GLR225_4294936478+5003699+5003700__?productId=3221 709&Ntt=laser&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_100%2B200_4294 936478%2B5003699%2B5003700__s%3FNtt%3Dlaser&facetI nfo=$50%20-%20$100|$100%20-%20$200

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....tance+Measurer

I have the Stanley TLM 100 and it works very well. The difference
between these and the $$$ rangers is largely the range, with most of
these around 100' range vs. 600' and up for the big $ units.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The last time I went looking for one of these, a sub-$200 "laser
tape measure" meant "ultrasonic with a built-in laser pointer for
aiming".

(If I'm wrong, please let me know. I could use a couple of $25
Sick-type laser rangers for a robot I have in mind... grin!)

They have always been an acoustic based distance estimator. But they got
called laser when they added the laser pointer because everything that had
the word "laser" on it would sell better. If you went into a store and
asked for an "acoustic based distance estimator", they would have to call a
supervisor.

Everybody who knows anything knows that the laser is not used to calculate
the distance, but merely to try to get a decent surface to get a good
acoustic bounce off of. If it a laser distancing device, it would cost
thousands of dollars. I have had literally thousands of replies correcting
me about the laser part being incorrect, but I already knew that. I have
had three people actually recommend a brand name. I guess there are three
people out there who are simpleminded like me.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Sorry, Steve, but you're apparently not someone who knows anything. g The
Stanley FatMax, such as the TLM 100 that two of us have mentioned, uses the
phase-shift Leica DISTO laser technology to make its measurements. It is
indeed a laser distance-measuring device. Mine cost around $90.

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....tance+Measurer

If you still have the addresses of those "thousands" of people, you might
want to let them know. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 09:30:58 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:
I have one of the Stanley laser tapes, made under license from Leitz,
for which I paid around $80 or $90 at HD, on sale a few years ago. It
claims accuracy of +/- 1/8" at, I think, 100'. I've only checked it
against steel tapes out to around 20', because that's as far as I trust
them, and from what I can tell, it's around twice as accurate as the
guarantee. I do get readings out to around 100' with it but a steel tape
at that distance has catenary sag all over the place, so I haven't
checked accuracy at that range.

It takes a whole bunch of sag to make an appreciable difference in
measurement accuracy. For example, if a 100' steel tape sags one
foot, measurements will run about 0.02" (about 0.5mm) long.

To compensate, just use the steel tape at an ambient temperature
about 32F higher than its calibrated temperature, and thermal
expansion will cancel out the foot-of-sag effect.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"James Waldby" wrote in message ...

[...]

Thanks, James. I'll have to choose my weather and work quick, because the
only place I can measure 100' is outdoors. g

I'm too lazy to work out the geometry but my steel tapes run up and down
over grass, rocks, etc., and I've never tried to work out the cumulative
effect.

--
Ed Huntress

================================================= ==================
[reply]

I have one of the Stanley laser tapes, made under license from
Leitz, for which I paid around $80 or $90 at HD, on sale a few
years ago.

I found the item at Grainger:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/STA...aser-Msr-1RNY5

sort of.. it's listed there as "discontinued", and all I could find at
www.stanleytools.com was a 2005 press release. The apparent
replacement has the msae part number (TLM100) and currently sold
under a CST/Berger label for $130-180.

It's a hopeful sign, in any case. Thanks.

Oh, and I'd still suggest that a $25 "laser tape" is likely to be
ultrasonic with a laser pointer grafted on. grin!

Frank
--
"But America is a great, unwieldy Body. Its Progress must be
slow. It is like a large Fleet sailing under Convoy. The

On 2011-11-14, Steve B wrote:
[...]

Too bad. The inveterate researcher went to work and got the story. Bosch
(CST/Berger division) acquired the line from Stanley, kept selling them
while they had stock (and, apparently, a contract with Leica), and they're
now out of them. They market some ultrasonic meters but the people I talked
to said they know of no plans to replace the laser unit. Stanley is out of
that business entirely.

So now you can go directly to Leica DISTO, or Stabila, or, interestingly,
Fluke to get a laser tape measure. The Fluke 411D (~$110) looks good:

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/usen/Lase....htm?PID=69331

It looks similar to the discontinued Stanley TLM 100.

Oh, and I'd still suggest that a $25 "laser tape" is likely to be
ultrasonic with a laser pointer grafted on. grin!

Definitely. I was reacting to Steve's suggestion that you'd have to pay
thousands for a true laser tape. For around $400 or so, you can buy a Leica
with Bluetooth output, for that matter.

--
Ed Huntress

Frank

On 2011-11-14, Steve B wrote:
[...]

Bosch and Ryobi both appear to have lower end laser rangers available,
see one of my other posts for links.

On 2011-11-14, Steve B wrote:
[...]

Aha! The CST/Berger people apparently didn't know about the other Bosch
unit.

--
Ed Huntress

On 2011-11-14, Steve B wrote:
[...]

Ed,

Thanks for the update. Gosh, for only $400 I could have my
gedanken-robot (they're really inexpensive!) measure how far off a
wall was, and then talk via Bleutooth to a cellphone; the phone
would then send the ranging data via an SMS message through an
Internet SMS-to-email gateway to my desktop machine so _it_ could
decide which way the robot should steer!

(Whoops! **CRUNCH** ... Back to the drawing board. grin!)

Pyotr,

Bosch and Ryobi both appear to have lower end laser rangers available,
see one of my other posts for links.

Thanks for the repeat. I've been calling around to get prices on
an MRI+MRA and must have missed it.

Frank
--
The book has been man's greatest triumph, his most profound
success. Seated in my library I live in a Time Machine. In an

Above all, and the most remarkable thing, I can do it all again,
at any moment. The books are there. I have only to reach up on
the shelves and take them down and live over again the moments I
have loved. Surely, we live today in the greatest moment of
history, for at no other time have books been so readily
available, in the book stores, in the public libraries, and in the
home.
-- Louis L'Amour / The Sackett Companion

On 2011-11-14, Steve B wrote:
[...]

Ha-ha! Rube Goldberg rides again. g

I want one of the Bluetooth-output devices. I have an idea...

--
Ed Huntress

Pyotr,