MilkyWhy

Default Laser Tape Measure

I bought one of these laser measurers at WMT for $30 bucks. I took it back
cause it was worthless. I expected it would have a small internal software
package to allow to measure the distance between 2 fixed points (from my own
"fixed point of origin). That is: it would measure the distance to one corner
of a room, then to the other corner of the room (from same fixed measuring
point), then it would tell me the distance between those 2 corners. Something
like a simple right-triangle. No, it did nothing of the sort.
Abe

I bought one of these laser measurers at WMT for $30 bucks. I took it back
cause it was worthless. I expected it would have a small internal software
package to allow to measure the distance between 2 fixed points (from my own
"fixed point of origin). That is: it would measure the distance to one corner
of a room, then to the other corner of the room (from same fixed measuring
point), then it would tell me the distance between those 2 corners. Something
like a simple right-triangle. No, it did nothing of the sort.

--------------
I don't know why you expected it to do that. All of the laser tape
measures I've seen only advertise that they can measure to a single
point.

You're expecting it to perform and unadvertised feature? You're lucky
these days if a product even does what's advertised.
NoOne N Particular

I was looking at one the other day and it said accuracy was 1/2" in 20'.
Not accurate enough for me. I would have expected that a descent laser
measuring device would at least have an accuracy of maybe something like
1/16" in 20'.

Wayne

"MilkyWhy" wrote in message
I bought one of these laser measurers at WMT for $30 bucks. I took it back
cause it was worthless. I expected it would have a small internal software
package to allow to measure the distance between 2 fixed points (from my
own
"fixed point of origin). That is: it would measure the distance to one
corner
of a room, then to the other corner of the room (from same fixed measuring
point), then it would tell me the distance between those 2 corners.
Something
like a simple right-triangle. No, it did nothing of the sort.

willshak

On 11/26/2004 12:04 PM US(ET), NoOne N Particular took fingers to keys,
and typed the following:

I was looking at one the other day and it said accuracy was 1/2" in 20'.
Not accurate enough for me. I would have expected that a descent laser
measuring device would at least have an accuracy of maybe something like
1/16" in 20'.

Don't buy a cheap homeowners laser measurer, unless you just want to
figure out how much paint, wallpaper, or wall board you will need to
cover the wall, or how much carpeting you will need. You can get
professional grade ones that are accurate to 1/16" in hundreds of feet,
but you'll likely pay hundreds of dollars for them.

Wayne

"MilkyWhy" wrote in message

I bought one of these laser measurers at WMT for $30 bucks. I took it back
cause it was worthless. I expected it would have a small internal software
package to allow to measure the distance between 2 fixed points (from my
own
"fixed point of origin). That is: it would measure the distance to one
corner
of a room, then to the other corner of the room (from same fixed measuring
point), then it would tell me the distance between those 2 corners.
Something
like a simple right-triangle. No, it did nothing of the sort.

Ed Clarke

In article , willshak wrote:
On 11/26/2004 12:04 PM US(ET), NoOne N Particular took fingers to keys,
and typed the following:

I was looking at one the other day and it said accuracy was 1/2" in 20'.
Not accurate enough for me. I would have expected that a descent laser
measuring device would at least have an accuracy of maybe something like
1/16" in 20'.

Don't buy a cheap homeowners laser measurer, unless you just want to
figure out how much paint, wallpaper, or wall board you will need to
cover the wall, or how much carpeting you will need. You can get
professional grade ones that are accurate to 1/16" in hundreds of feet,
but you'll likely pay hundreds of dollars for them.

$295 for a brand I didn't recognize with 1/8" accuracy and about twice that
for a Lica Disto with 1/16" over 600' accuracy. Perhaps you could rent
something instead of buying it?

Laser tape measuring tools ziggs Home Repair 3 August 17th 04 05:51 AM
Ohmwork [email protected] Home Repair 36 July 24th 04 12:22 AM
How to Adjust the Tape Path Alignment on Newer VCRs Jim Electronics Repair 24 March 15th 04 09:30 PM
Diamonds on a tape measure Dominick Fiumara Woodworking 16 October 15th 03 10:42 AM
'Laser' measure Steve UK diy 2 July 15th 03 11:51 AM