Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Laser tape measure

The last time I went looking for one of these, a sub-$200 "laser
tape measure" meant "ultrasonic with a built-in laser pointer for
aiming".

(If I'm wrong, please let me know. I could use a couple of $25
Sick-type laser rangers for a robot I have in mind... grin!)

They have always been an acoustic based distance estimator. But they got
called laser when they added the laser pointer because everything that had
the word "laser" on it would sell better. If you went into a store and
asked for an "acoustic based distance estimator", they would have to call a
supervisor.

Everybody who knows anything knows that the laser is not used to calculate
the distance, but merely to try to get a decent surface to get a good
acoustic bounce off of. If it a laser distancing device, it would cost
thousands of dollars. I have had literally thousands of replies correcting
me about the laser part being incorrect, but I already knew that. I have
had three people actually recommend a brand name. I guess there are three
people out there who are simpleminded like me.

Steve