Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Frnak McKenney Frnak McKenney is offline

Default Laser tape measure

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 14:56:46 -0500, Pete C. wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Frnak McKenney" wrote in message
m...

Hi,Ed.

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 09:30:58 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:
"Frnak McKenney" wrote in message
m...

On 15 Nov 2011 03:11:36 GMT, DoN. Nichols
On 2011-11-14, Steve B wrote:
What's a good one for around $25? Plus or minus a foot or so is good
enough.

[...]

[reply]

Too bad. The inveterate researcher went to work and got the story. Bosch
(CST/Berger division) acquired the line from Stanley, kept selling them
while they had stock (and, apparently, a contract with Leica), and they're
now out of them. They market some ultrasonic meters but the people I talked
to said they know of no plans to replace the laser unit. Stanley is out of
that business entirely.

So now you can go directly to Leica DISTO, or Stabila, or, interestingly,
Fluke to get a laser tape measure. The Fluke 411D (~$110) looks good:

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/usen/Lase....htm?PID=69331

It looks similar to the discontinued Stanley TLM 100.

Oh, and I'd still suggest that a $25 "laser tape" is likely to be
ultrasonic with a laser pointer grafted on. grin!

Definitely. I was reacting to Steve's suggestion that you'd have to pay
thousands for a true laser tape. For around $400 or so, you can buy a Leica
with Bluetooth output, for that matter.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed,

Thanks for the update. Gosh, for only $400 I could have my
gedanken-robot (they're really inexpensive!) measure how far off a
wall was, and then talk via Bleutooth to a cellphone; the phone
would then send the ranging data via an SMS message through an
Internet SMS-to-email gateway to my desktop machine so _it_ could
decide which way the robot should steer!

(Whoops! **CRUNCH** ... Back to the drawing board. grin!)

Pyotr,

Bosch and Ryobi both appear to have lower end laser rangers available,
see one of my other posts for links.

Thanks for the repeat. I've been calling around to get prices on
an MRI+MRA and must have missed it.

Frank
--
The book has been man's greatest triumph, his most profound
success. Seated in my library I live in a Time Machine. In an

Above all, and the most remarkable thing, I can do it all again,
at any moment. The books are there. I have only to reach up on
the shelves and take them down and live over again the moments I
have loved. Surely, we live today in the greatest moment of
history, for at no other time have books been so readily
available, in the book stores, in the public libraries, and in the
home.
-- Louis L'Amour / The Sackett Companion
--
Frank McKenney, McKenney Associates
Richmond, Virginia / (804) 320-4887