Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default name this cutter

I'm looking for endmills that are sort of shaped like a woodruff key
cutter. That is an endmill with a smaller shank than the cutting
edges. One with something like a 1/2 inch shank and a 3/4" diameter
cutter. is there a name for for this type of endmill? Know of a
source?

I need to cut shallow slots in a side wall of a big slot, if that
makes sense.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
I'm looking for endmills that are sort of shaped like a woodruff key
cutter. That is an endmill with a smaller shank than the cutting
edges. One with something like a 1/2 inch shank and a 3/4" diameter
cutter. is there a name for for this type of endmill? Know of a
source?

I need to cut shallow slots in a side wall of a big slot, if that
makes sense.

Karl

T-slot cutter.

http://www.jtsmach.com/jtswebshop/Pr...Tools/C034.asp

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 18:44:01 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
.. .
I'm looking for endmills that are sort of shaped like a woodruff key
cutter. That is an endmill with a smaller shank than the cutting
edges. One with something like a 1/2 inch shank and a 3/4" diameter
cutter. is there a name for for this type of endmill? Know of a
source?

I need to cut shallow slots in a side wall of a big slot, if that
makes sense.

Karl

T-slot cutter.

http://www.jtsmach.com/jtswebshop/Pr...Tools/C034.asp

And if he wants one for woodworking, they're called keyhole cutters or
bits. http://goo.gl/WAFy6 or http://goo.gl/O8FTw

--
Live Simply. Speak Kindly. Care Deeply. Love Generously.
-- anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
.. .
I'm looking for endmills that are sort of shaped like a woodruff key
cutter. That is an endmill with a smaller shank than the cutting
edges. One with something like a 1/2 inch shank and a 3/4" diameter
cutter. is there a name for for this type of endmill? Know of a
source?

I need to cut shallow slots in a side wall of a big slot, if that
makes sense.

Karl

T-slot cutter.

http://www.jtsmach.com/jtswebshop/Pr...Tools/C034.asp

jsw

BINGO! its easier to find something if you know what to call it.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend asked:

That is an endmill with a smaller shank than the cutting
edges. One with something like a 1/2 inch shank and a 3/4" diameter
cutter. is there a name for for this type of endmill?

Karl, I call them "end mills". The cutting body can be any length, and
any reasonable diameter -- it's not dependent upon the shank diameter,
except the shank has to be large enough to take the maximum cutting loads
of the bit.

I have a fairly large collection of endmills with larger cutting
diameters than their shanks -- like 1" diameter cut with a 1/2" shank.

But it really sounds like you're looking for 'slotting cutters', and a
woodruff key cutter is one form. Check out www.msc-direct.com, and
search for "slotting cutter". Don't buy one there, just look. The
prices are out of sight.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 06 Nov 2011 17:18:16 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I'm looking for endmills that are sort of shaped like a woodruff key
cutter. That is an endmill with a smaller shank than the cutting
edges. One with something like a 1/2 inch shank and a 3/4" diameter
cutter. is there a name for for this type of endmill? Know of a
source?

I need to cut shallow slots in a side wall of a big slot, if that
makes sense.

Karl

What "thickness" of cut do you need?

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm looking for endmills that are sort of shaped like a woodruff key
cutter. That is an endmill with a smaller shank than the cutting
edges. One with something like a 1/2 inch shank and a 3/4" diameter
cutter. is there a name for for this type of endmill? Know of a
source?

I need to cut shallow slots in a side wall of a big slot, if that
makes sense.

Karl

What "thickness" of cut do you need?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

A fair bit of metal to remove: the slot is 0.100 deep, .800 wide and
2.0" long on the side wall of a big slot in 4140. Two per part, 25 or
more parts. I know a woodruff would never hold up. I see they make
indexable T slot cutters, I'm watching eBay now.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend Inscribed thus:

I'm looking for endmills that are sort of shaped like a woodruff key
cutter. That is an endmill with a smaller shank than the cutting
edges. One with something like a 1/2 inch shank and a 3/4" diameter
cutter. is there a name for for this type of endmill? Know of a
source?

I need to cut shallow slots in a side wall of a big slot, if that
makes sense.

Karl

Sounds like you want a "T" slot cutter !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
I need to cut shallow slots in a side wall of a big slot, if that
makes sense.
Karl

T-slot cutter.
jsw

BINGO! its easier to find something if you know what to call it.
Karl

I grab every one I see in the second-hand bins because the straight-tooth
ones are easily sharpened and they cut smoother key slots in shafts than
1/8" endmills do. Several appear to be custom-modified from something else.

They are thinner than T slot cutters and of larger diameter than Woodruffs,
more like a slitting saw or side milling cutter on a shaft. Two were made by
B&S and Pratt&Whitney. I've never seen them in catalogs.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm looking for endmills that are sort of shaped like a woodruff key
cutter. That is an endmill with a smaller shank than the cutting
edges. One with something like a 1/2 inch shank and a 3/4" diameter
cutter. is there a name for for this type of endmill? Know of a
source?

I need to cut shallow slots in a side wall of a big slot, if that
makes sense.

Karl

What "thickness" of cut do you need?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

A fair bit of metal to remove: the slot is 0.100 deep, .800 wide and
2.0" long on the side wall of a big slot in 4140. Two per part, 25 or
more parts. I know a woodruff would never hold up. I see they make
indexable T slot cutters, I'm watching eBay now.

Karl

The reason I asked, was Ive got a shoebox filled with T slot cutters.
Probably 150 or more of them. But nothing .800. The biggest Ive got is
..500

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I'd take a good bunch of them. I've got some narrow slots too. It
would be nice to prototype this part and debug with cheap cutters. Not
that I've *ever* crashed a $300 Sandvik face mill. Well, maybe.

Email me with what you'd offer
karltownsendATembarqmail.com

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 09:39:50 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

The reason I asked, was Ive got a shoebox filled with T slot cutters.
Probably 150 or more of them. But nothing .800. The biggest Ive got is
.500

Gunner Asch

I'd take a good bunch of them. I've got some narrow slots too. It
would be nice to prototype this part and debug with cheap cutters. Not
that I've *ever* crashed a $300 Sandvik face mill. Well, maybe.

Email me with what you'd offer
karltownsendATembarqmail.com

Karl

Ill dig em out this coming weekend and do an inventory

Ill forward t he results to you at the above addy.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I suggest Fifi, or Esmerelda. Depending if yours is cutting,
or a bore.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm looking for endmills that are sort of shaped like a woodruff key
cutter. That is an endmill with a smaller shank than the cutting
edges. One with something like a 1/2 inch shank and a 3/4" diameter
cutter. is there a name for for this type of endmill? Know of a
source?

I need to cut shallow slots in a side wall of a big slot, if that
makes sense.

Karl

What "thickness" of cut do you need?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

A fair bit of metal to remove: the slot is 0.100 deep, .800 wide and
2.0" long on the side wall of a big slot in 4140. Two per part, 25 or
more parts. I know a woodruff would never hold up. I see they make
indexable T slot cutters, I'm watching eBay now.

Karl

I have a cutter in front of me that's about 1-1/2 dia x 5/8 wide on
the working end x 3/4" dia neck x 1" shank, and have a few more
similar. If you're ready to consummate our teflon-for-drills trade we
can throw a few of these into the mix if they'll work for you.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Sorry Ned,

My son took dibs on the drill bits. I guess I shouldn't have left them
sit on the shop table.

Karl

Annular cutter Joe AutoDrill[_2_] Metalworking 0 March 2nd 09 01:49 PM
Annular cutter Stupendous Man Metalworking 4 March 1st 09 03:48 PM
tile cutter John Rumm UK diy 2 February 12th 07 02:23 PM
any value or use in a key cutter? t Metalworking 14 October 6th 05 03:46 PM
uPVC cutter xscope UK diy 2 July 15th 05 10:12 AM