Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Northeast storm, Oct 29, 2011, 2.2 million without power

I'm west of the storm. I'm OK, fortunately. Yes, I live in
PRNY.

This AM, the exhaust sheared, on my van. I spent about four
hours patching it (metal content). I'll write more about
that, if asked.

Lets hope the Occupy Wall Street crowd freeze butt, and go
home to thier mom's cellars. Lets hope the hard working
people of the area are safe, and no injuries from candles,
carbon monoxide, etc.

This just after the major power cut in Boulder, Colorado. A
million plus, without power, due to snow storm.

It's long past time to be looking for backup heat, power,
light. For these ever so much more common power cuts. A word
to the wise is sufficient.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 22:43:54 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I'm west of the storm. I'm OK, fortunately. Yes, I live in
PRNY.

This AM, the exhaust sheared, on my van. I spent about four
hours patching it (metal content). I'll write more about
that, if asked.

Lets hope the Occupy Wall Street crowd freeze butt, and go
home to thier mom's cellars. Lets hope the hard working
people of the area are safe, and no injuries from candles,
carbon monoxide, etc.

This just after the major power cut in Boulder, Colorado. A
million plus, without power, due to snow storm.

It's long past time to be looking for backup heat, power,
light. For these ever so much more common power cuts. A word
to the wise is sufficient.

32 years ago, Milady and I bought a nice farm site out in the country.
New experience for her. A few months later I spotted a 5KW genset for
$250 and snapped it right up. MAN was she ****ED. That money was for a
wash machine so she wouldn't have to go to the laundry. I explained
about ice storms, snow storms, and thunder storms putting the power
out for days. It didn't help. We've never needed that back up genny.
And its still a sore spot.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Trade it to her for all the cats, Karl. wink

P.S: When did you finally get her a washing machine?

--
The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which
it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm sorry to hear that. Isn't that the way, buy equipment
and not used it. I've had similar results with my 1/2 HP
sump pump and 75 feet of discharge hose. Five or more years,
and finally got to use it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Karl Townsend" wrote in
message news
32 years ago, Milady and I bought a nice farm site out in
the country.
New experience for her. A few months later I spotted a 5KW
genset for
$250 and snapped it right up. MAN was she ****ED. That money
was for a
wash machine so she wouldn't have to go to the laundry. I
explained
about ice storms, snow storms, and thunder storms putting
the power
out for days. It didn't help. We've never needed that back
up genny.
And its still a sore spot.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/30/2011 6:56 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that. Isn't that the way, buy equipment
and not used it. I've had similar results with my 1/2 HP
sump pump and 75 feet of discharge hose. Five or more years,
and finally got to use it.

But the fact that he has it is why he hasn't needed it! As soon as he
sells it, he'll need it.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R. Birch" wrote:

On 10/30/2011 6:56 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that. Isn't that the way, buy equipment
and not used it. I've had similar results with my 1/2 HP
sump pump and 75 feet of discharge hose. Five or more years,
and finally got to use it.

But the fact that he has it is why he hasn't needed it! As soon as he
sells it, he'll need it.

I needed one many times, for day or week long outages. I finally got
one about four years ago, and haven't used it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

"David R. Birch" wrote:

On 10/30/2011 6:56 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that. Isn't that the way, buy equipment
and not used it. I've had similar results with my 1/2 HP
sump pump and 75 feet of discharge hose. Five or more years,
and finally got to use it.

But the fact that he has it is why he hasn't needed it! As soon as he
sells it, he'll need it.

I needed one many times, for day or week long outages. I finally got
one about four years ago, and haven't used it.

Mine gets used almost every day.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yes, that's also been my finding.

And when the power goes out, that's when he discovers he
needs some obscure part to get the generator running.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David R. Birch" wrote in message
On 10/30/2011 6:56 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that. Isn't that the way, buy equipment
and not used it. I've had similar results with my 1/2 HP
sump pump and 75 feet of discharge hose. Five or more
years,
and finally got to use it.

But the fact that he has it is why he hasn't needed it! As
soon as he
sells it, he'll need it.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm west of the storm. I'm OK, fortunately. Yes, I live in
PRNY.

This AM, the exhaust sheared, on my van. I spent about four
hours patching it (metal content). I'll write more about
that, if asked.

Lets hope the Occupy Wall Street crowd freeze butt, and go
home to thier mom's cellars. Lets hope the hard working
people of the area are safe, and no injuries from candles,
carbon monoxide, etc.

This just after the major power cut in Boulder, Colorado. A
million plus, without power, due to snow storm.

It's long past time to be looking for backup heat, power,
light. For these ever so much more common power cuts. A word
to the wise is sufficient.

I was running the lathe when power went out. Not in a cut just making
some program edits. Bang! Dark! I closed up and went home. Monday
AM here and power is back on. I did need my generator at home for
most of Saturday and most of Sunday.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R. Birch" wrote:

On 10/30/2011 6:56 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that. Isn't that the way, buy equipment
and not used it. I've had similar results with my 1/2 HP
sump pump and 75 feet of discharge hose. Five or more years,
and finally got to use it.

But the fact that he has it is why he hasn't needed it! As soon as he
sells it, he'll need it.

I needed one many times, for day or week long outages. I finally got
one about four years ago, and haven't used it.

Mine gets used almost every day.

Good for you. I needed it after hurricanes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

"David R. Birch" wrote:

On 10/30/2011 6:56 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that. Isn't that the way, buy equipment
and not used it. I've had similar results with my 1/2 HP
sump pump and 75 feet of discharge hose. Five or more years,
and finally got to use it.

But the fact that he has it is why he hasn't needed it! As soon as he
sells it, he'll need it.

I needed one many times, for day or week long outages. I finally got
one about four years ago, and haven't used it.

Mine gets used almost every day.

Good for you. I needed it after hurricanes.

Not a good thing, just a consequence of living too close to the bay and the
basement being a little too deep. If it fails during the wet season, a trip
to Home Depot is in order.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

During a storm, sump pumps are likely to be sold out, in a
hurry. It is wise to buy and install the sump pump well
before the storm. And, the discharge hose.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"ATP" wrote in message

Good for you. I needed it after hurricanes.

Not a good thing, just a consequence of living too close to
the bay and the
basement being a little too deep. If it fails during the wet
season, a trip
to Home Depot is in order.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 29, 9:43*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I'm west of the storm. I'm OK, fortunately. Yes, I live in
PRNY.

This AM, the exhaust sheared, on my van. I spent about four
hours patching it (metal content). I'll write more about
that, if asked.

Lets hope the Occupy Wall Street crowd freeze butt, and go
home to thier mom's cellars. Lets hope the hard working
people of the area are safe, and no injuries from candles,
carbon monoxide, etc.

This just after the major power cut in Boulder, Colorado. A
million plus, without power, due to snow storm.

It's long past time to be looking for backup heat, power,
light. For these ever so much more common power cuts. A word
to the wise is sufficient.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

This storm is just one more excellent example of why the nation's
infrastructure needs to be upgraded.

In today's world, electricity is expected to be there 24/7...and when
it is not it can be life and death.

If the electrical grid is not updated for whatever reason, why don't
houses/apartments come equiped with their own local electrical
generation?

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 4, 3:32*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

This storm is just one more excellent example of why the nation's
infrastructure needs to be upgraded.

In today's world, electricity is expected to be there 24/7...and when
it is not it can be life and death.

If the electrical grid is not updated for whatever reason, why don't
houses/apartments come equiped with their own local electrical
generation?

TMT

It is intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that the thing
you think should be done cost money. The power companies do their
best to keep costs down. But if you would like to pay twice is much
for power, I am sure they could fird a way to spend the extra money
improving the system. Why don't you start the ball rolling by sending
the power company twice as much as they bill you? Please post here
when you start paying twice as much for your power.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 12:44:09 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

Dan,
Of course power companies try to keep their cost down. But the
solution you put forward, individuals sending twice their bill, is
ludicrous

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Whoops. Pressed the wrong button. Anyway Dan, you must know that our
power grid needs to be updated. And we will have to pay for it. If the
power companies wait too long it will cost us, the rate payers, even
more. The solution is for the work to be started soon and our bills to
go up. But they won't double. And individuals can get the ball roling
by insisting to the government agencies that the power companies start
upgrading and repairing. Here on South Whidbey Island the power
situation got so bad that folks started a campaign to get a P.U.D.
started. Puget Sound Energy mounted a huge campaign against it.
Washington State P.U.C. said that the power delivery was so below
standard that P.S.E. had to upgrade and repair the power delivery
systems. The P.U.D. option went before the people for a vote, per WA
law, and P.S.E. won. So no P.U.D. But we did get immediate remediation
of the poor power delivery since all the complaints to the state by
businesses and homeowners started in earnest. Before, when complaining
only to P.S.E., nothing happened. P.S.E. had fired all the crews that
used to trim trees and hired tree trimming companies to do the work.
But instead of trimming trees before they fell the crews were only
seen after trees were across the lines. Now the trees are being
trimmed in a timely fasion and when I called about trees I had that
were dangerous to the lines but too dangerous for me to remove the
trees were cut down within two weeks. Before all the complaints to the
state I was lucky to get the trees even looked at in less than 4
months. Our rates are controlled by the state because P.S.E. has a
power monoply and when they apply to the state for a rate increase to
pay for updating the grid I'm sure my rates will go up. But not
anywhere near double. Come on Dan, you're an intelligent guy, you can
make a point better than you did above.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 4, 5:58*pm, wrote:

.. Come on Dan, you're an intelligent guy, you can
make a point better than you did above.
Eric

Thanks for the complement. I agree that the power grid has to be
maintained and in some places improved. I was reacting to TMT's
comments in which he wants the power grid to be perfect and be working
24/7. I am willing to suffer some power outages and pay a reasonable
amount for power. The power company here does a reasonable job. In
the last three years, the power has been out about three times for
about three or four hours. Did not lose power during Hurricane
Irene. We did not get much snow here so not surprised that we did not
lose power from the snow.

When we first built on Bainbridge we were at the end of the power line
and lost power for days at a time. But they ran a line in from the
highway when there were a few more houses and the reliability went way
up.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 4, 5:37*pm, wrote:

It is intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that the thing
you think should be done cost money. *The power companies do their
best to keep costs down. *But if you would like to pay twice is much
for power, I am sure they could fird a way to spend the extra money
improving the system. *Why don't you start the ball rolling by sending
the power company twice as much as they bill you? *Please post here
when you start paying twice as much for your power.

Dan

Dan,
Of course power companies try to keep their cost down. But the
solution you put forward, individuals sending twice their bill, is
ludicrous

I was only proposing that TMT send extra money to the power compary so
they would do what he wants. It was intended to be ludicrous much as
TMT's proposal that houses and apartment buildings all have their own
independent generators.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 4, 8:38*pm, " wrote:
On Nov 4, 5:37*pm, wrote:

[...]

Dan- Hide quoted text -

So why do houses and apartments have their own independent heating and
cooling systems?

Is that ludicrous?

I could easily see a small generator being a part of the heating
system which could share subsystems and be there for when the mains go
dead.

And if the infrastructure continues to be neglected, I can easily see
it becoming an option that a homeowner would want.

In countries where power is intermittent, owning a generator is
common.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 4, 9:00*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Nov 4, 8:38*pm, " wrote:

On Nov 4, 5:37*pm, wrote:

[...]

TMT- Hide quoted text -

This should have been fixed sooner...the blizzard that caused the
outages was not that severe.

I suspect that we are talking about neglected maintainance and old
infrastructure that has not been updated.

TMT

Power outages linger as New England braces for cold blast
By Lauren Keiper | Reuters - 14 hrs ago

BOSTON (Reuters) - Hundreds of thousands of homes from Pennsylvania to
New Hampshire remained in the dark on Friday, nearly a week after a
monster October snowstorm swept through the Northeast and knocked out
power to more than 3 million customers.

In Connecticut, where homes and businesses were particularly hard hit,
more than 300,000 customers remained without heat and electricity as
temperatures hovered near freezing overnight.

American Red Cross shelters housed more than 1,100 people overnight
seeking warmth across New Hampshire, western Massachusetts and
Connecticut.

Utility company Connecticut Light & Power said it is working to have
99 percent of customers switched back on by Sunday night, with a
priority on schools and polling places ahead of election day on
Tuesday.

More than half a dozen people in Connecticut and Massachusetts have
died of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning from unvented toxic fumes
generated by heating devices.

The deadly storm that dumped more than two feet of snow in parts of
the region was blamed for at least a dozen other fatalities, mostly on
slippery roads.

Although warmer weather is forecast for the coming week, some
residents without power nevertheless were bracing for a significant
chill overnight.

"A nasty cold shot will roll out of eastern Canada into New England
and upstate New York spanning tonight into Saturday," said
AccuWeather.com expert senior meteorologist Alex Sosnowski.

That arctic air coupled with gusty winds could make it feel as though
temperatures are in the teens and 20s, AccuWeather.com said.

In Massachusetts, about 85,000 people were still without power while
lingering outages in New Jersey topped 65,000. Outages on Friday also
included about 19,000 customers in Pennsylvania, about 6,000 in New
Hampshire and about 6,000 in New York.

(Editing by Ellen Wulfhorst and Jerry Norton)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article 007c9207-d692-47c1-82a0-1caf66fce786
@o19g2000vbk.googlegroups.com, says...

On Nov 4, 8:38*pm, " wrote:

On Nov 4, 5:37*pm, wrote:

[...]

The major problem was that it was a wet snowfall with the trees still in
leaf. When half a maple tree comes down on the powerline there's not
much that preventive maintenance can do about it.

There has been an ongoing problem with trimming trees back from the
lines--in most localities in CT the power company needs the permission
of the local government to do this and the local governments have been
reluctant to allow a proper job of it. Now maybe they will for a while.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Now that the storm pulled down a lot of the problem trees,
it's less of an issue. I'm guessing a few years, and we'll
do this all again.

Got generator?

--
Christopher A. Young