Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Northeast storm, Oct 29, 2011, 2.2 million without power

Now that the storm pulled down a lot of the problem trees,
it's less of an issue. I'm guessing a few years, and we'll
do this all again.

Got generator?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...

This should have been fixed sooner...the blizzard that
caused the
outages was not that severe.

I suspect that we are talking about neglected maintainance
and old
infrastructure that has not been updated.

The major problem was that it was a wet snowfall with the
trees still in
leaf. When half a maple tree comes down on the powerline
there's not
much that preventive maintenance can do about it.

There has been an ongoing problem with trimming trees back
from the
lines--in most localities in CT the power company needs the
permission
of the local government to do this and the local governments
have been
reluctant to allow a proper job of it. Now maybe they will
for a while.