Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default need a whatsit

Please look at this pic:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/tripod.jpg

At left center is a yoke and thick disk with a bolt clamp. The yoke
and disk are grooved or racheted. I'd like to buy this component, if
possible. What do you call it? Where might you get it?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 20:36:39 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Please look at this pic:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/tripod.jpg

At left center is a yoke and thick disk with a bolt clamp. The yoke
and disk are grooved or racheted. I'd like to buy this component, if
possible. What do you call it? Where might you get it?

When I worked at Southcom, Int'l. in the early 1970s, we had them cast
in OD-green polycarbonate for our manpack radios.

Google "serrated positioner", or squawk at actual humans at McMaster
for more info.

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

Please look at this pic:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/tripod.jpg

At left center is a yoke and thick disk with a bolt clamp. The yoke
and disk are grooved or racheted. I'd like to buy this component, if
possible. What do you call it? Where might you get it?

Karl

It's a "crown gear" of sorts. I don't think you'll find it stock
anywhere, but you can certainly make one on a Bridgeport with a dividing
head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
Please look at this pic:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/tripod.jpg

At left center is a yoke and thick disk with a bolt clamp. The yoke
and disk are grooved or racheted. I'd like to buy this component, if
possible. What do you call it? Where might you get it?

Karl

You might be able to make the detents by bonding or brazing serrated washers
to other parts.
http://www.amazon.com/Dia-Compe-Serr...PN4/ref=sr_1_2
or
http://www.springmasters.com/disc-sp...y-washers.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote in
:

Please look at this pic:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/tripod.jpg

At left center is a yoke and thick disk with a bolt clamp. The yoke
and disk are grooved or racheted. I'd like to buy this component, if
possible. What do you call it? Where might you get it?

I have a 5-axis milling work stop that uses a similar setup. They are cut
like bevel gears, but flat, and with a triangular tooth geometry. Haven't
a clue what they are called. I tried "indexing washer", but that didn't do
it.

For production quantities, I would think they'd have to be cut on a very
special machine in the old days. They presumably could be done on a CNC
setup nowadays. I find it hard to believe they made them integral to the
yoke unless they stamped them.

Doug White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 20, 9:36*pm, Karl Townsend
wrote:
Please look at this pic:http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/tripod.jpg

At left center is a yoke and thick disk with a bolt clamp. The yoke
and disk are grooved or racheted. I'd like to buy this component, if
possible. What do you call it? Where might you get it?

Karl

Serrated locking plates, may be overkill, but I also come up with
Hirth tooth coupling/rosette, Hirth serration.

http://www.jwwinco.com/products/section11/gn187/

http://www.berger-tools.co.uk/series...3&SeriesID=888

http://www.elesa-ganter.com/en/2/sp/...n-187.4-ni/eg/

(an example of it called a 'rosette')
http://www.red.com/store/rail-compon...one-a-straight

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 12:56:45 GMT, Doug White
wrote:
snip
They are cut
like bevel gears, but flat, and with a triangular tooth geometry. Haven't
a clue what they are called. I tried "indexing washer", but that didn't do
it.

snip

These are called Hirth couplings or joints.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirth_joint

At one time widely used in built up crankshafts for high
performance engines (motorcycles) and may still be.

Among many other sites see
http://www.amcprecision.com/v-tooth.htm
http://www.voithturbo.com/hirth-coupling.htm
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=88618

no prices but looks like a spicy meatball...

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Please look at this pic:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/tripod.jpg

At left center is a yoke and thick disk with a bolt clamp. The yoke
and disk are grooved or racheted. I'd like to buy this component, if
possible. What do you call it? Where might you get it?

Karl

Thanks everybody. With these ideas and google, I came up with this
offer:
http://www.dougstampco.com/swashers.html

Question2:

How would you bond a 0.160 washer to a metal surface. See my first
post for the application.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Please look at this pic:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/tripod.jpg

At left center is a yoke and thick disk with a bolt clamp. The yoke
and disk are grooved or racheted. I'd like to buy this component, if
possible. What do you call it? Where might you get it?

Karl

Thanks everybody. With these ideas and google, I came up with this
offer:
http://www.dougstampco.com/swashers.html

Question2:

How would you bond a 0.160 washer to a metal surface. See my first
post for the application.

Karl

Braze it, or something from Locktite or 3M.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Please look at this pic:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/tripod.jpg

At left center is a yoke and thick disk with a bolt clamp. The yoke
and disk are grooved or racheted. I'd like to buy this component, if
possible. What do you call it? Where might you get it?

Karl

Thanks everybody. With these ideas and google, I came up with this
offer:
http://www.dougstampco.com/swashers.html

Question2:

How would you bond a 0.160 washer to a metal surface. See my first
post for the application.

Braze it on to a solid surface, or tack-weld the sides (inside and
out, TIG or MIG), probably.

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Please look at this pic:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/tripod.jpg

At left center is a yoke and thick disk with a bolt clamp. The yoke
and disk are grooved or racheted. I'd like to buy this component, if
possible. What do you call it? Where might you get it?

Karl

Thanks everybody. With these ideas and google, I came up with this
offer:
http://www.dougstampco.com/swashers.html

Question2:

How would you bond a 0.160 washer to a metal surface. See my first
post for the application.

Karl

Since the washers are heat-treated, and probably plain-carbon steel, you
don't want to apply more than 400 deg. F or so to them. A low-temp soft
solder, applied very well in a heat-treating oven (or a kitchen oven) ought
to give you the temperature control. If you tin the surfaces well and get
good coverage, the 5,000+ psi shear strength of soft solder ought to hold
you.

Otherwise, epoxy with excellent technique -- scratch it in, and get it as
close to 100% coverage as you can. You'll get maximum strength with about a
0.002" - 0.005" gap between the pieces.

BTW, George's info on Hirth couplings is excellent, but keep in mind that
there are many other couplings of the type, that are generically known as
"face gears." Some have straight-sided teeth and some are curved, the most
exotic being another patented one (Gleason), known as the Curvic Coupling.

You don't need anything that exotic for this application. Any close-fitting
face coupling that *takes up slack as it wears* (in other words, that has
symmetrical teeth with angled sides or congruent curved sides) would do it.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Please look at this pic:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/tripod.jpg

At left center is a yoke and thick disk with a bolt clamp. The yoke
and disk are grooved or racheted. I'd like to buy this component, if
possible. What do you call it? Where might you get it?

Karl

Thanks everybody. With these ideas and google, I came up with this
offer:
http://www.dougstampco.com/swashers.html

Question2:

How would you bond a 0.160 washer to a metal surface. See my first
post for the application.

Karl

That looks like the grooves are in a rectangular pattern rather than radial.
If so , you would only be able to lock it at 90 deg. positions. Is that OK
for you ?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Please look at this pic:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/tripod.jpg

At left center is a yoke and thick disk with a bolt clamp. The yoke
and disk are grooved or racheted. I'd like to buy this component, if
possible. What do you call it? Where might you get it?

Karl

Thanks everybody. With these ideas and google, I came up with this
offer:
http://www.dougstampco.com/swashers.html

Question2:

How would you bond a 0.160 washer to a metal surface. See my first
post for the application.

Karl

What am I missing here?? The original post picture appears to be
using the "washer" to allow rotational 'indexing'.
The Dougstamp swasher appears to be serrated like the checkering on a
gun stock. How will this allow the same 'indexing'? IMWTK grin

Bob
rgentry at oz dot net
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

you're right, plus they are $7 each. So, we're still looking

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Please look at this pic:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/tripod.jpg

At left center is a yoke and thick disk with a bolt clamp. The yoke
and disk are grooved or racheted. I'd like to buy this component, if
possible. What do you call it? Where might you get it?

Karl

Thanks everybody. With these ideas and google, I came up with this
offer:
http://www.dougstampco.com/swashers.html

Question2:

How would you bond a 0.160 washer to a metal surface. See my first
post for the application.

Karl

Spot weld in 3 places

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Making a whatsit steamer Metalworking 18 August 6th 11 06:25 PM
Looking for a whatsit steamer Metalworking 22 March 23rd 11 09:10 AM
Whatsit Pete Snell Metalworking 14 October 13th 05 12:24 AM
Here's a whatsit for ya.. steamer Metalworking 11 August 5th 05 05:45 PM
Dishwasher air gap - whatsit??? Doug Kanter Home Repair 15 April 22nd 05 07:21 PM