Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default need a whatsit

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 20:36:39 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Please look at this pic:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/tripod.jpg

At left center is a yoke and thick disk with a bolt clamp. The yoke
and disk are grooved or racheted. I'd like to buy this component, if
possible. What do you call it? Where might you get it?

Karl

Thanks everybody. With these ideas and google, I came up with this
offer:
http://www.dougstampco.com/swashers.html

Question2:

How would you bond a 0.160 washer to a metal surface. See my first
post for the application.

Karl

Since the washers are heat-treated, and probably plain-carbon steel, you
don't want to apply more than 400 deg. F or so to them. A low-temp soft
solder, applied very well in a heat-treating oven (or a kitchen oven) ought
to give you the temperature control. If you tin the surfaces well and get
good coverage, the 5,000+ psi shear strength of soft solder ought to hold
you.

Otherwise, epoxy with excellent technique -- scratch it in, and get it as
close to 100% coverage as you can. You'll get maximum strength with about a
0.002" - 0.005" gap between the pieces.

BTW, George's info on Hirth couplings is excellent, but keep in mind that
there are many other couplings of the type, that are generically known as
"face gears." Some have straight-sided teeth and some are curved, the most
exotic being another patented one (Gleason), known as the Curvic Coupling.

You don't need anything that exotic for this application. Any close-fitting
face coupling that *takes up slack as it wears* (in other words, that has
symmetrical teeth with angled sides or congruent curved sides) would do it.

--
Ed Huntress