Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default need a whatsit

Karl Townsend wrote in
:

Please look at this pic:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/tripod.jpg

At left center is a yoke and thick disk with a bolt clamp. The yoke
and disk are grooved or racheted. I'd like to buy this component, if
possible. What do you call it? Where might you get it?

I have a 5-axis milling work stop that uses a similar setup. They are cut
like bevel gears, but flat, and with a triangular tooth geometry. Haven't
a clue what they are called. I tried "indexing washer", but that didn't do
it.

For production quantities, I would think they'd have to be cut on a very
special machine in the old days. They presumably could be done on a CNC
setup nowadays. I find it hard to believe they made them integral to the
yoke unless they stamped them.

Doug White