Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Just when you think .....

you've heard it all ..........

Chicago has banned texting while bicycling.

What freedom do we lose next? ;-)

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-05, Steve B wrote:
you've heard it all ..........

Chicago has banned texting while bicycling.

What freedom do we lose next? ;-)

Texting while jumping on a pogo stick?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-05, Steve B wrote:
you've heard it all ..........

Chicago has banned texting while bicycling.

What freedom do we lose next? ;-)

Texting while jumping on a pogo stick?

Texting while on a ladder, and rewiring your shop. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-05, Steve wrote:
you've heard it all ..........

Chicago has banned texting while bicycling.

What freedom do we lose next? ;-)

Texting while jumping on a pogo stick?

Oh yeah, there goes another freedom we would all really hate to lose,
right? More like it's another chance for a right winger to take a shot
at the government. That would be okay if he was right, but as usual he's
ignorant and wrong.

In law there is something called a duty of care. It is a legal
obligation that everyone has any time they do anything. I doubt most
people are aware of this but it is part of our law.

The idea is that no matter what you do you have a duty of care in how
you do it. Whether you're driving your car, riding on a Jet Ski, snow
skiing, or anything else, you have an implied duty of care. All this
means is you are not legally allowed to act in a reckless or careless
manner because you may damage someone if you do.

On it's face it may seem like texting while riding a bike should be your
own business. But you are on a moving vehicle and it has the potential
of hurting or even killing someone if you are not careful. Texting while
driving has been shown to be extremely dangerous, which is why it's banned.

I'm not surprised that the law has been applied to bicycles, and even
motorcycles. To me, anyone stupid enough to ride a bike and text
deserves a lot more than just a ticket.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/5/2011 6:35 PM, Steve B wrote:
you've heard it all ..........

Chicago has banned texting while bicycling.

What freedom do we lose next? ;-)

Steve

How do you lose what you never had?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-05, Steve B wrote:
you've heard it all ..........

Chicago has banned texting while bicycling.

What freedom do we lose next? ;-)

Texting while jumping on a pogo stick?

Texting while on a ladder, and rewiring your shop. ;-)

Texting while inside of an electrican substation?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
you've heard it all ..........

Chicago has banned texting while bicycling.

What freedom do we lose next? ;-)

Steve

The freedom to be sent to the hospital by some idiot on a bicycle not
paying attention to where he/she is going?
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

So, you are saying Voting of Obama and being a "liberal" is illegal?

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yeah boy, lots of people go to the hospital every day from being hit by
someone on a bicycle. Some even have to be treated from broken fingernails!
We need a liberal supply of toilet paper!

RogerN

The science to which I pinned my faith is bankrupt. Its counsels, which
should have established the millennium, have led directly to the suicide of
Europe. I believed them once. In their name I helped to destroy the faith of
millions of worshipers in the temples of a thousand creeds, and now they
look at me and witness the great tragedy of an atheist who has lost his
faith.
George Bernard Shaw
"Artemus" wrote in message ...

"Steve B" wrote in message
you've heard it all ..........

Chicago has banned texting while bicycling.

What freedom do we lose next? ;-)

Steve

The freedom to be sent to the hospital by some idiot on a bicycle not
paying attention to where he/she is going?
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/5/2011 7:35 PM, Steve B wrote:
you've heard it all ..........

Chicago has banned texting while bicycling.

What freedom do we lose next? ;-)

Steve

What ever happened to common sense? Why do people have to have a law to
NOT do something stupid? Oh yea, this society practices "Reverse
Darwinism" and encourages the worst examples of humans to reproduce.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-06, RogerN wrote:
Yeah boy, lots of people go to the hospital every day from being hit by
someone on a bicycle. Some even have to be treated from broken fingernails!
We need a liberal supply of toilet paper!

What is worse, is the ability of bicycle riders to cause a car accident.

I was riding a bicycle once, and an inattentive driver backed out from
behind a bush on his driveway, and hit me. I had only minor injuries.

"Artemus" wrote in message ...

"Steve B" wrote in message
you've heard it all ..........

Chicago has banned texting while bicycling.

What freedom do we lose next? ;-)

Steve

The freedom to be sent to the hospital by some idiot on a bicycle not
paying attention to where he/she is going?
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-05, Steve B wrote:
you've heard it all ..........

Chicago has banned texting while bicycling.

What freedom do we lose next? ;-)

Texting while jumping on a pogo stick?

Texting while on a ladder, and rewiring your shop. ;-)

Texting while inside of an electrican substation?

How are you going to get in there?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Artemus wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message
you've heard it all ..........

Chicago has banned texting while bicycling.

What freedom do we lose next? ;-)

Steve

The freedom to be sent to the hospital by some idiot on a bicycle not
paying attention to where he/she is going?

Do you get hit by many 'he/shes'?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"RogerN" wrote:

Yeah boy, lots of people go to the hospital every day from being hit by
someone on a bicycle. Some even have to be treated from broken fingernails!
We need a liberal supply of toilet paper!

RogerN

You certainly do - try wiping that thing you talk out of. Then go stand in front of a speeding bicycle.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/new...e-rider-070510

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...hurt-by-bikes/

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...en_hit_by.html

http://sf.streetsblog.org/2011/08/11...arcadero-dies/

http://gruskinfoundation.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-05, Steve wrote:
you've heard it all ..........

[...]

I don't like getting in on political BS, but this is a classic example of
the stupidity of people. Why in hell is it necessary to pass a law such
as that?

Pretty simple, really. Those that won't police their own actions can
expect to be policed by government.

What the hell is wrong with people that even consider texting while involved
in other activities? The dumb *******s deserve anything and everything
they get for their trouble, and for their blatant disregard for those around
them.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message

What the hell is wrong with people that even consider texting while
involved in other activities? The dumb *******s deserve anything and
everything they get for their trouble, and for their blatant disregard for
those around them.

Harold

Narcissists with exagerated self esteem are a clear and present danger.
You need a license and insurance to operate a motor vehicle on public
roads, why not bicycles?

Best Regards
Tom.

--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
The science to which I pinned my faith is bankrupt. Its counsels, which
should have established the millennium, have led directly to the suicide
of Europe. I believed them once. In their name I helped to destroy the
faith of millions of worshipers in the temples of a thousand creeds, and
now they look at me and witness the great tragedy of an atheist who has
lost his faith.
George Bernard Shaw

Shaw blindly pinned his faith to Stalinism despite the evidence of
atrocities.
http://www.worldandi.com/newhome/pub.../may/bkpub.asp

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-05, Steve wrote:
you've heard it all ..........

[...]

Except that they kill people when so distracted. Otherwise, I'd be all
-for- their getting Darwin Awards, too.

You know a society is liberal when they start padding the telephone
and light poles downtown... http://goo.gl/9c1WV Farrrrrrrrrrrk!

--
I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues.
--Duke Ellington
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-05, Steve wrote:
you've heard it all ..........

[...]

Thank you, Harold. I'm glad to see SOMEONE got it. Well, there were
others. I just wanted to see how many people took off like bottle rockets
on this one.

Yeah, we need a law on texting while bicycling. I guess they had several
accidents, even with fatalities with people doing just such activities. I
guess it is good to have this law so some dumb ******* doesn't plow into me
while I'm walking. In Florida, a pedestrian was killed by two people on a
bicycle coming down a high bridge really fast. There was one person on the
bike's seat, the other one on the handlebars.

I wish they would just pass a law that let Joe Average just pull cell phone
users and texters out of their car and beat the holy **** out of them
whenever seen doing such stupid dangerous activities.

That would help in this ME ME ME society.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"azotic" wrote in message

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message

What the hell is wrong with people that even consider texting while
involved in other activities? The dumb *******s deserve anything and
everything they get for their trouble, and for their blatant disregard
for those around them.

Harold

Narcissists with exagerated self esteem are a clear and present danger.
You need a license and insurance to operate a motor vehicle on public
roads, why not bicycles?

Best Regards
Tom.

They are considered road users by all states, and subject to obeying traffic
laws speeds, stop signs, etc.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/5/2011 7:28 PM, RogerN wrote:
So, you are saying Voting of Obama and being a "liberal" is illegal?

RogerN

No Roger. What I am saying is that anyone who votes for a republican who
is not rich or owns a business is violating their "duty of care". That
means all you white working class men who vote for republicans. You're
not only screwing yourselves but the rest of us too. You're traitors to
your class.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/5/2011 9:54 PM, Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

[...]

It's not a "law". It's part of our legal system but not a specific law.

Pretty simple, really. Those that won't police their own actions can
expect to be policed by government.

In a huge modern society like ours everyone should expect to be policed
by the government. Society has gotten way too big to leave much to the
individual anymore.

What the hell is wrong with people that even consider texting while
involved in other activities? The dumb *******s deserve anything and
everything they get for their trouble, and for their blatant disregard
for those around them.

That's my point exactly. How stupid is someone to drive a vehicle of any
kind and try texting messages at the same time? Doing that shows a
reckless disregard for the safety of others, clearly that person is not
observing his duty of care while riding a bike. What they really deserve
is to crash their bike and break a leg. They don't learn a lesson any
other way. Stupid is as stupid does (Forest Gump's Mom).

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 16:35:05 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

you've heard it all ..........

Chicago has banned texting while bicycling.

What freedom do we lose next? ;-)

Steve

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer, do,
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage-
I can't afford a carriage,
But you'd look sweet on the seat
Of a bicycle built for two.

We will go tandem as man and wife,
Daisy, Daisy,
Pedaling away down the road of life,
I and my Daisy Bell.
When the road's dark, we can both despise
Policemen and lamps as well.
Cause it's illegal to turn around and glance at you.
Of beautiful Daisy Bell.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
says...

On 2011-10-05, Steve wrote:
you've heard it all ..........

[...]

With a proviso "cell phone registered to the plaintiff being found in
plantiff's anus sideways shall be prima-facie evidence that plaintiff
was using cell phone improperly".

That would help in this ME ME ME society.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
says...

[...]

I don't have any problem with them bringing themselves to grief, it's
whoever they hit that's the problem. Or the guy in a car who they cut
off forcing him to have a collision with something else to avoid
hitting them.

Personally I think the cell phone companies should be given five years
to come up with a reliable method of preventing the operator of any kind
of vehicle from using a cell phone while in motion for any purpose other
than calling 911, and if they cannot do so they must use the locator
technology built into all current cell phones to prevent any phone from
operating when moving faster than 4 mph.

And yes, it's hard on passengers--but 5 years is enough time for the
cell companies to come up with an alternative, if they don't then whine
at them, not at me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
you've heard it all ..........

Chicago has banned texting while bicycling.

What freedom do we lose next? ;-)

Steve

I live on a urban major arterial road. It is a state highway, a class II
truck route and sees 25000 vehicles each day.
Where I am at, this traffic is goes down one traffic lane and one parking
lane in each direction. During rush hour the parking lanes become traffic
lanes but that doesn't stop the occasional nitwit from leaving his car
there.

So, picture this. It's the height of rush hour, probably 1700 cars an hour,
swerving in and out of their lanes while they dodge parked cars and jockey
for position at the next stop light.

I look out my store window and watch as some moron on a bicycle ride by. He
is holding onto the handle bars with one finger on his left hand. He has his
glasses on his forehead and he is squinting at the phone in his right hand
as he types in a text message.

He managed to pass my view without getting flattened by a city bus, but if
he had, it's the bus driver who would be getting the blame.

If your in the roadway, you should be paying attention to the roadway and
the traffic. As far as I am concerned this includes drivers, bicyclists and
pedestrians.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote

If your in the roadway, you should be paying attention to the roadway and
the traffic. As far as I am concerned this includes drivers, bicyclists
and pedestrians.

Paul K. Dickman

That applies in any situation where you may be killed. But there are a lot
of very stupid people in the world. And the worst part is that they are
very fertile.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
. ..

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote

If your in the roadway, you should be paying attention to the roadway and
the traffic. As far as I am concerned this includes drivers, bicyclists
and pedestrians.

Paul K. Dickman

That applies in any situation where you may be killed. But there are a
lot of very stupid people in the world. And the worst part is that they
are very fertile.

Steve

The stupidest ones are convinced that because they take the greatest risk,
that they cause risk to no one else.

I agree with the law, I think it should apply to pedestrians too.

But, take that with a grain of salt. I also think that people should be
required to carry a baseball bat in their vehicles at all times and be
required to use it on the cars of any gridlockers they see.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hawke wrote:

On it's face it may seem like texting while riding a bike should be your
own business. But you are on a moving vehicle and it has the potential
of hurting or even killing someone if you are not careful. Texting while
driving has been shown to be extremely dangerous, which is why it's banned.

I'm not surprised that the law has been applied to bicycles, and even
motorcycles. To me, anyone stupid enough to ride a bike and text
deserves a lot more than just a ticket.

Leaving the right wing stuff out, there are places where there needs to be something
between fiat rule and anarchy.

Between cell phones, cell phones and texting, and mp3 devices, I quit riding a road
bicycle because the road ways were getting more and more dangerous. I don't know if you
have those cut outs in the centerline and shoulder of the roadway but I think that was put
in to combat drivers that are playing with their electronic crap and not paying attention.

I'm pretty sure be you left or right, conservative, liberal, or libertarian, you are
likely going to support a few lines we don't cross to keep our most important freedom, our
right to our life intact.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 09:33:20 -0500, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Please include the examples with noise canceling earphones and the
volume on MAX and the ones with the sound systems that cause their
brake lights to reflect the beat.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada