Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Just when you think .....

In article ,
says...

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message

On 2011-10-05, Steve wrote:
you've heard it all ..........

Chicago has banned texting while bicycling.

What freedom do we lose next? ;-)

Texting while jumping on a pogo stick?

Oh yeah, there goes another freedom we would all really hate to lose,
right? More like it's another chance for a right winger to take a shot at
the government. That would be okay if he was right, but as usual he's
ignorant and wrong.

In law there is something called a duty of care. It is a legal obligation
that everyone has any time they do anything. I doubt most people are
aware of this but it is part of our law.

The idea is that no matter what you do you have a duty of care in how you
do it. Whether you're driving your car, riding on a Jet Ski, snow skiing,
or anything else, you have an implied duty of care. All this means is you
are not legally allowed to act in a reckless or careless manner because
you may damage someone if you do.

On it's face it may seem like texting while riding a bike should be your
own business. But you are on a moving vehicle and it has the potential of
hurting or even killing someone if you are not careful. Texting while
driving has been shown to be extremely dangerous, which is why it's
banned.

I'm not surprised that the law has been applied to bicycles, and even
motorcycles. To me, anyone stupid enough to ride a bike and text deserves
a lot more than just a ticket.

Hawke

I don't like getting in on political BS, but this is a classic example of
the stupidity of people. Why in hell is it necessary to pass a law such
as that?

Pretty simple, really. Those that won't police their own actions can
expect to be policed by government.

What the hell is wrong with people that even consider texting while
involved in other activities? The dumb *******s deserve anything and
everything they get for their trouble, and for their blatant disregard for
those around them.

Harold

Thank you, Harold. I'm glad to see SOMEONE got it. Well, there were
others. I just wanted to see how many people took off like bottle rockets
on this one.

Yeah, we need a law on texting while bicycling. I guess they had several
accidents, even with fatalities with people doing just such activities. I
guess it is good to have this law so some dumb ******* doesn't plow into me
while I'm walking. In Florida, a pedestrian was killed by two people on a
bicycle coming down a high bridge really fast. There was one person on the
bike's seat, the other one on the handlebars.

I wish they would just pass a law that let Joe Average just pull cell phone
users and texters out of their car and beat the holy **** out of them
whenever seen doing such stupid dangerous activities.

With a proviso "cell phone registered to the plaintiff being found in
plantiff's anus sideways shall be prima-facie evidence that plaintiff
was using cell phone improperly".

That would help in this ME ME ME society.

Steve