Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Just when you think .....

So, you are saying Voting of Obama and being a "liberal" is illegal?

RogerN

On 2011-10-05, Steve wrote:
you've heard it all ..........

Chicago has banned texting while bicycling.

What freedom do we lose next? ;-)

Texting while jumping on a pogo stick?

Oh yeah, there goes another freedom we would all really hate to lose,
right? More like it's another chance for a right winger to take a shot
at the government. That would be okay if he was right, but as usual he's
ignorant and wrong.

In law there is something called a duty of care. It is a legal
obligation that everyone has any time they do anything. I doubt most
people are aware of this but it is part of our law.

The idea is that no matter what you do you have a duty of care in how
you do it. Whether you're driving your car, riding on a Jet Ski, snow
skiing, or anything else, you have an implied duty of care. All this
means is you are not legally allowed to act in a reckless or careless
manner because you may damage someone if you do.

On it's face it may seem like texting while riding a bike should be your
own business. But you are on a moving vehicle and it has the potential
of hurting or even killing someone if you are not careful. Texting while
driving has been shown to be extremely dangerous, which is why it's banned.

I'm not surprised that the law has been applied to bicycles, and even
motorcycles. To me, anyone stupid enough to ride a bike and text
deserves a lot more than just a ticket.

Hawke