Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Material for hinge pins in aluminum

Hi All,
I'm building an aluminum hinged cover for a dry well. The hinge barrels are
1" o.d. aluminim and I had originally planned on stainless hinge pins. Any
reason not to use aluminum hinge pins (much cheaper)?
Thanks,
Nok

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Nok" fired this volley in
:

Hi All,
I'm building an aluminum hinged cover for a dry well. The hinge
barrels are 1" o.d. aluminim and I had originally planned on stainless
hinge pins. Any reason not to use aluminum hinge pins (much cheaper)?
Thanks,
Nok

There are a few: First, aluminum on aluminum tends to gall. If nothing
else, this will make the hinge "creaky" and hard to work.

Second, unless you specify exactly the same alloy from the same source
for the hinge tubes and the pins, you'll get dissimilar metals corrosion
in the joints. That tends not to happen with stainless-on-aluminum
(although they are dissimilar metals, also).

Third, mill-finish aluminum tends to easily corrode upon exposure to the
elements. SS hinge pins will at least keep the running surfaces
"polished" instead of pitting (together) and becoming hard to move.

In any case, keep them protected from the elements, well-lubricated, and
moved often.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 4, 8:32*pm, "Nok" wrote:
Hi All,
I'm building an aluminum hinged cover for a dry well. *The hinge barrels are
1" o.d. aluminim and I had originally planned on stainless hinge pins. *Any
reason not to use aluminum hinge pins (much cheaper)?
Thanks,
Nok

It sounds as if the hinge pins will not have much stress. How about
using some plastic pipe for hinge pins? Maybe CVPC. It will not rust
and will not encourage the aluminum to rust. It is very cheap.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/4/2011 7:32 PM, Nok wrote:
Hi All,
I'm building an aluminum hinged cover for a dry well. The hinge barrels are
1" o.d. aluminim and I had originally planned on stainless hinge pins. Any
reason not to use aluminum hinge pins (much cheaper)?
Thanks,
Nok

I would be another who agrees that you will get better end results using
a different metal for the pins.

Keep in mind that you don't need to use solid stainless rod if the
strength is not necessary. Just some stainless 1/16" thick wall tube
will work also, since the stainless isn't going to wear through
mechanically.

If you cannot (or don't) want to precisely size both the hole and the
pin OD, then just get some 1" OD stainless tubing of ~1/16"-1/8th
thickness and slice it lengthwise to make a giant 'roll pin' (smooth off
all the burrs of course). With a lengthwise cut, the tube will go into
the hole even if the hole is slightly undersize or uneven.

----------

I'm building a project that has a bunch of cro-mo tube pivots for
aluminum parts, right now. I tried using aluminum tube first, but it
would quickly get "sticky" despite being oiled & coated with powdered
teflon during assembly. The cro-mo pivots (lubed the same way) work
perfectly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Alum much softer metal, probably won't last long.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nok" wrote in message
Hi All,
I'm building an aluminum hinged cover for a dry well. The
hinge barrels are
1" o.d. aluminim and I had originally planned on stainless
hinge pins. Any
reason not to use aluminum hinge pins (much cheaper)?
Thanks,
Nok

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Jim is offline

" wrote:

On Oct 4, 8:32 pm, "Nok" wrote:
Hi All,
I'm building an aluminum hinged cover for a dry well. The hinge barrels are
1" o.d. aluminim and I had originally planned on stainless hinge pins. Any
reason not to use aluminum hinge pins (much cheaper)?
Thanks,
Nok

It sounds as if the hinge pins will not have much stress. How about
using some plastic pipe for hinge pins? Maybe CVPC. It will not rust
and will not encourage the aluminum to rust. It is very cheap.

Copper or stainless 1" OD tubing would be stronger than plastic. A foot
of tubing doesn't cost very much.

-jim

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If the hinge barrels are 1 inch outside diameter, and you
buy some 1 inch outside diameter tubing. How do you interact
the two?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"jim" "sjedgingN0Sp"@m@mwt,net wrote in message
.. .

" wrote:

On Oct 4, 8:32 pm, "Nok" wrote:
Hi All,
I'm building an aluminum hinged cover for a dry well.
The hinge barrels are
1" o.d. aluminim and I had originally planned on
stainless hinge pins. Any
reason not to use aluminum hinge pins (much cheaper)?
Thanks,
Nok

It sounds as if the hinge pins will not have much stress.
How about
using some plastic pipe for hinge pins? Maybe CVPC. It
will not rust
and will not encourage the aluminum to rust. It is very
cheap.

Copper or stainless 1" OD tubing would be stronger than
plastic. A foot
of tubing doesn't cost very much.

-jim

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 5, 8:33*am, jim "sjedgingN0Sp"@m@mwt,net wrote:

Copper or stainless 1" OD tubing would be stronger than plastic. A foot
of tubing doesn't cost very much.

-jim

What do you calculate the max load to be?

The definition of an engineer that I like is someone who builds things
that any damn fool can build, but does it for less money.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim jim is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:

If the hinge barrels are 1 inch outside diameter, and you
buy some 1 inch outside diameter tubing. How do you interact
the two?

You're right. I misread it as ID.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

" wrote:

On Oct 4, 8:32 pm, "Nok" wrote:
Hi All,
I'm building an aluminum hinged cover for a dry well.
The hinge barrels are
1" o.d. aluminim and I had originally planned on
stainless hinge pins. Any
reason not to use aluminum hinge pins (much cheaper)?
Thanks,
Nok

It sounds as if the hinge pins will not have much stress.
How about
using some plastic pipe for hinge pins? Maybe CVPC. It
will not rust
and will not encourage the aluminum to rust. It is very
cheap.

Copper or stainless 1" OD tubing would be stronger than
plastic. A foot
of tubing doesn't cost very much.

-jim

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 20:07:53 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Nok" fired this volley in
:

[...]

What Lloyd said. Here is a useful table of some typical coefficients
of friction:

http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tab...efficients.htm

Aluminum on aluminum is quite high.
--
Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dan, I ended up with a hybrid of your idea. I bought some PEX and turned it
down on the lathe a few thou. Man it machines easy! Then I turned some
aluminum bar as a "core" for the PEX. No contact between the aluminum and
the PEX is going to be a very good bearing surface I believe. Thanks for
the idea!
Nok
wrote in message
On Oct 4, 8:32 pm, "Nok" wrote:
Hi All,
I'm building an aluminum hinged cover for a dry well. The hinge barrels
are
1" o.d. aluminim and I had originally planned on stainless hinge pins. Any
reason not to use aluminum hinge pins (much cheaper)?
Thanks,
Nok

It sounds as if the hinge pins will not have much stress. How about
using some plastic pipe for hinge pins? Maybe CVPC. It will not rust
and will not encourage the aluminum to rust. It is very cheap.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 14, 6:03*pm, "Nok" wrote:
Dan, I ended up with a hybrid of your idea. *I bought some PEX and turned it
down on the lathe a few thou. *Man it machines easy! *Then I turned some
aluminum bar as a "core" for the PEX. *No contact between the aluminum and
the PEX is going to be a very good bearing surface I believe. *Thanks for
the idea!

You are welcome. Sounds like you came up with a better version of
what I was thinking of.

Dan