Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nok[_2_] Nok[_2_] is offline

Default Material for hinge pins in aluminum

Dan, I ended up with a hybrid of your idea. I bought some PEX and turned it
down on the lathe a few thou. Man it machines easy! Then I turned some
aluminum bar as a "core" for the PEX. No contact between the aluminum and
the PEX is going to be a very good bearing surface I believe. Thanks for
the idea!
Nok
wrote in message
On Oct 4, 8:32 pm, "Nok" wrote:
Hi All,
I'm building an aluminum hinged cover for a dry well. The hinge barrels
are
1" o.d. aluminim and I had originally planned on stainless hinge pins. Any
reason not to use aluminum hinge pins (much cheaper)?
Thanks,
Nok

It sounds as if the hinge pins will not have much stress. How about
using some plastic pipe for hinge pins? Maybe CVPC. It will not rust
and will not encourage the aluminum to rust. It is very cheap.

Dan