Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Newshound Newshound is offline

Default Material for hinge pins in aluminum

On 05/10/2011 03:06, DougC wrote:
On 10/4/2011 7:32 PM, Nok wrote:
Hi All,
I'm building an aluminum hinged cover for a dry well. The hinge
barrels are
1" o.d. aluminim and I had originally planned on stainless hinge pins.
Any
reason not to use aluminum hinge pins (much cheaper)?
Thanks,
Nok

I would be another who agrees that you will get better end results using
a different metal for the pins.

Keep in mind that you don't need to use solid stainless rod if the
strength is not necessary. Just some stainless 1/16" thick wall tube
will work also, since the stainless isn't going to wear through
mechanically.

If you cannot (or don't) want to precisely size both the hole and the
pin OD, then just get some 1" OD stainless tubing of ~1/16"-1/8th
thickness and slice it lengthwise to make a giant 'roll pin' (smooth off
all the burrs of course). With a lengthwise cut, the tube will go into
the hole even if the hole is slightly undersize or uneven.

Yup. Or brass?