Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default LED Headlamp Suggestions Sought

Hi,

I'm in the market for a good quality LED headlamp.

I'm here looking for suggestions as to good build quality, bright
'flood' illumination that renders colors correctly, long battery life
(preferably from 2, not three cells) and resistance to 'real world'
dirt/crud, water & mechanical shock.

Any and all suggestions, comments, warnings etc are more than welcome!

Thanks all,

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 13:42:43 -0700, Erik wrote:

Hi,

I'm in the market for a good quality LED headlamp.

I'm here looking for suggestions as to good build quality, bright
'flood' illumination that renders colors correctly, long battery life
(preferably from 2, not three cells) and resistance to 'real world'
dirt/crud, water & mechanical shock.

Any and all suggestions, comments, warnings etc are more than welcome!

Thanks all,

Erik

I have the discontinued Aurora (similar to EOS) model that works great
for camping, but depending on your application you may need a
different model. Great products.

http://princetontec.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Erik wrote:
Hi,

I'm in the market for a good quality LED headlamp.

I'm here looking for suggestions as to good build quality, bright
'flood' illumination that renders colors correctly, long battery life
(preferably from 2, not three cells) and resistance to 'real world'
dirt/crud, water& mechanical shock.

Any and all suggestions, comments, warnings etc are more than welcome!

Suggest also posting to rec.bicycles.tech.

I don't know if it will start a religious war,
but one can always hope.

Were it me, I would follow this guy's lead
and make an elastic / velcro strap for the
ubiquitous and useful LED Maglite:
http://goo.gl/JAQVd

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've got one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/headlam...ens-45807.html

Rip out the reflector, and pull out the filament bulb. Put
in a Nite Ize module designed for AA mini mag.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...e+ize+&Ntk=All

Works, for me. Runs a long time, color is reasonable, a bit
blue. Good brightness.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Erik" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm in the market for a good quality LED headlamp.

I'm here looking for suggestions as to good build quality,
bright
'flood' illumination that renders colors correctly, long
battery life
(preferably from 2, not three cells) and resistance to 'real
world'
dirt/crud, water & mechanical shock.

Any and all suggestions, comments, warnings etc are more
than welcome!

Thanks all,

Erik

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 13:42:43 -0700, Erik wrote:

Hi,

I'm in the market for a good quality LED headlamp.

I'm here looking for suggestions as to good build quality, bright
'flood' illumination that renders colors correctly, long battery life
(preferably from 2, not three cells) and resistance to 'real world'
dirt/crud, water & mechanical shock.

Any and all suggestions, comments, warnings etc are more than welcome!

Thanks all,

Erik

I really like the Petzl brand for stuff like climbing a tall mountain
at night.

http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/headlamps/allheadlamps

OTOH, DX has cheap-ass ( $7) ones that are okay for riding a bike at
night once in a while or dealing with raccoons in the attic.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/1-watt-headlamp-479

I'm not sure any of them has color rendition as a priority- white LEDs
are pretty dubious.

I have a Petzl 'hybrid' that has both LED and halogen bulbs that would
be okay for color rendition, but it sucks batteries pretty fast in the
halogen mode, and it's not particularly inexpensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Petzl-E72-DUO-...7681149&sr=8-1

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/3/2011 3:42 PM, Erik wrote:
Hi,

I'm in the market for a good quality LED headlamp.

I'm here looking for suggestions as to good build quality, bright
'flood' illumination that renders colors correctly, long battery life
(preferably from 2, not three cells) and resistance to 'real world'
dirt/crud, water& mechanical shock.

Any and all suggestions, comments, warnings etc are more than welcome!

Thanks all,

Erik

Somebody already mentioned the Petzl headlamps.

I looked a while back for a water-proof (or resistant) headlamp and
there were only two: one resistant to about three feet for ~10 minutes,
and another resistant to ten feet for ~30 minutes. Both of these were
pretty expensive, $50-$75 IIRC. Mountaineering-equipment retailers will
have them.

Also I will warn you that if you ever get OIL or other petrochemicals on
an elastic (latex) headband (commonly used on typical headlights) the
elastic will quickly fail.

----

Another way is to get a small waterproof headlight and wear it on a
non-elastic headband. This is not as ideal as a specific-purpose
headlamp, but IMO it is more dependable for general use.

There is one type of headband that is non-elastic, it is just a nylon
strap with a velcro attachment for adjustment.
http://www.amazon.com/NiteIze-Headba...7691750&sr=8-7
The small loop that holds the flashlight is elastic, but if your
flashlight has a clip, it will still stay in even if the elastic goes
loose.

For a flashlight look at the adjustable ones like the Fenix LD25-
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Fe...Flashlight.php
the runtime on high-output is low (it always is) but the runtime on the
lower outputs is much longer, and you can adjust it as you wish.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/3/2011 3:42 PM, Erik wrote:
Hi,

I'm in the market for a good quality LED headlamp.

I'm here looking for suggestions as to good build quality, bright
'flood' illumination that renders colors correctly, long battery life
(preferably from 2, not three cells) and resistance to 'real world'
dirt/crud, water& mechanical shock.

Any and all suggestions, comments, warnings etc are more than welcome!

Thanks all,

Erik

And doesn't blind the guy you are looking at?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
DougC wrote:

I looked a while back for a water-proof (or resistant) headlamp and
there were only two: one resistant to about three feet for ~10 minutes,
and another resistant to ten feet for ~30 minutes. Both of these were
pretty expensive, $50-$75 IIRC. Mountaineering-equipment retailers will
have them.

Well, you'd have to provide the strap, since this is designed for "real"
waterproof applications where you will have a mask strap handy, but it
is "really" waterproof (500 ft rated, I'll stick to 130 myself)

http://www.uwkinetics.com/products/mini-q40-eled-plus

However it's 4 cells, so not what the OP is looking for.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 13:42:43 -0700, Erik wrote:

Hi,

I'm in the market for a good quality LED headlamp.

I'm here looking for suggestions as to good build quality, bright
'flood' illumination that renders colors correctly, long battery life
(preferably from 2, not three cells) and resistance to 'real world'
dirt/crud, water & mechanical shock.

Any and all suggestions, comments, warnings etc are more than welcome!

Thanks all,

Erik

http://www.surefire.com/SaintMinimusHS2-A-BK

This one is pricey, but it purely kicks butt for task lighting where
tasks are at arms' length as opposed to hiking -- although it does OK
for that too. It's amazing.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
says...

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 13:42:43 -0700, Erik wrote:

Hi,

I'm in the market for a good quality LED headlamp.

I'm here looking for suggestions as to good build quality, bright
'flood' illumination that renders colors correctly, long battery life
(preferably from 2, not three cells) and resistance to 'real world'
dirt/crud, water & mechanical shock.

Any and all suggestions, comments, warnings etc are more than welcome!

Thanks all,

Erik

http://www.surefire.com/SaintMinimusHS2-A-BK

This one is pricey, but it purely kicks butt for task lighting where
tasks are at arms' length as opposed to hiking -- although it does OK
for that too. It's amazing.

Anybody looking for anything that resembles a flashlight might be
interested in http://www.candlepowerforums.com.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 3, 2:42*pm, Erik wrote:
Hi,

I'm in the market for a good quality LED headlamp.

I'm here looking for suggestions as to good build quality, bright
'flood' illumination that renders colors correctly, long battery life
(preferably from 2, not three cells) and resistance to 'real world'
dirt/crud, water & mechanical shock.

Any and all suggestions, comments, warnings etc are more than welcome!

Thanks all,

Erik

Good luck on the 2 cell bit, most lights that use white LEDs will take
3, if not 4, alkalines. Only way around the voltage requirements of
white LEDs is to use lithium cells or a more formal inverter power
supply($$$ and heavier). Also good luck with accurate color
rendering, most are somewhat bluish in cast.

Have a look at what Bass Pro and Cabela's carries. I've seen some at
the local Sportman's warehouse, most only had 3 LEDs at most, hardly
"floodlight".

I've got an HF flashlight that I bought on special and with coupon
that has 100 LEDs, that one qualifies for "floodlight". Uses 4 AA
cells, though. Could be rigged with a head harness, have seen those
for use with regular flashlights. Good enough for looking for downed
deer after dark.

Sounds like what you want is a hat covered with LEDs.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Erik wrote in news:spam-5A0219.13424303102011
@news.dslextreme.com:

Hi,

I'm in the market for a good quality LED headlamp.

I'm here looking for suggestions as to good build quality, bright
'flood' illumination that renders colors correctly, long battery life
(preferably from 2, not three cells) and resistance to 'real world'
dirt/crud, water & mechanical shock.

Any and all suggestions, comments, warnings etc are more than welcome!

It uses three AAA cells, but my wife & I have several of these kicking
around:

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-61...ptor-Headlamp-
Strap/dp/B00064YL7S

They work very nicely, aren't over priced, and the top strap makes them a
lot more secure than some. We've been re-insulating the attic, and they
have gotten a really good workout. The batteries last a good long time,
the lights are pretty bright, and the color isn't too far off.

If you shop around, you can frequently find deals on them, or at least
free shipping from places that sell them for less than Amazon. I linked
to Amazon because they have a lot of good reviews.

Doug White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Erik wrote:

Hi,

I'm in the market for a good quality LED headlamp.

I'm here looking for suggestions as to good build quality, bright
'flood' illumination that renders colors correctly, long battery life
(preferably from 2, not three cells) and resistance to 'real world'
dirt/crud, water & mechanical shock.

Any and all suggestions, comments, warnings etc are more than welcome!

Thanks all,

Erik

Hi all,

I'm the original poster...

First of all, thanks to all for the good information.

I decided to go with, and bought this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-.../B0018J76MC/re
f=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317972340&sr=8-1

It was on sale at a local camping place (A-16)... $64.95 - 25% for a
total of $48.71 (before tax/lic).

It does use 3 AA's but I'll live. I much prefer battery powered devices
that use even numbers of batteries, as they come packaged that way, and
that extra battery always bugs me.

The unit has 4 small LED 'side lights' for close range flood lighting,
that can be adjusted high, medium or low. Once you eyes are acclimated
to the dark, even the low position is fine for walking around. (There is
also some silly emergency flash mode for the floods.) Around mirrors and
shiny stuff, even on low these'll leave spots in your eyes...

I quickly discovered that the med and low flood settings are
accomplished by rapidly 'strobeing' (sp?) the LED's, and will require
caution around moving equipment.

The center 3W spot LED is extremely brilliant & well focused, and also
sports three power levels, with med/low attenuation accomplished same as
the floods. The spot does not have the silly emergency flash mode. and
is painfully blinding around mirror's & shiny stuff.

The floods and spot cannot be both energized simultaneously, nor does it
(so far) seem necessary.

It has three tiny battery level indicator LED's, green/yellow/red
mounted to the side of the battery compartment.

Manual is just 'ok'. It had no mention of how to assemble the top strap,
and it took a day or so to figure it out.

Comes with a 3 year warranty, and they claim parts are available.

Thanks again all!

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 01:44:34 -0700, Erik wrote:

In article ,
Erik wrote:

Hi,

I'm in the market for a good quality LED headlamp.

I'm here looking for suggestions as to good build quality, bright
'flood' illumination that renders colors correctly, long battery life
(preferably from 2, not three cells) and resistance to 'real world'
dirt/crud, water & mechanical shock.

Any and all suggestions, comments, warnings etc are more than welcome!

Thanks all,

Erik

Hi all,

I'm the original poster...

First of all, thanks to all for the good information.

I decided to go with, and bought this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-.../B0018J76MC/re
f=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317972340&sr=8-1

It was on sale at a local camping place (A-16)... $64.95 - 25% for a
total of $48.71 (before tax/lic).

That beats Amazon's $54 price, with free shipping. Good deal.

It does use 3 AA's but I'll live. I much prefer battery powered devices
that use even numbers of batteries, as they come packaged that way, and
that extra battery always bugs me.

You buy the expensive way. I usually buy in even increments but get
the large economy packs, usually 20 or 24 for $7 (Eveready Gold alk)
v. $4-5 for 1-2 pair in most stores. Our local BiMart is cheaper than
HD, Lowes, or Wally World.

The unit has 4 small LED 'side lights' for close range flood lighting,
that can be adjusted high, medium or low. Once you eyes are acclimated
to the dark, even the low position is fine for walking around. (There is
also some silly emergency flash mode for the floods.) Around mirrors and
shiny stuff, even on low these'll leave spots in your eyes...

It may seem silly now, but you wouldn't think the emergency flash mode
on low was a bad idea if you broke your leg 4,000' down a cave and had
to wait a day or two for a rescue.

I quickly discovered that the med and low flood settings are
accomplished by rapidly 'strobeing' (sp?) the LED's, and will require
caution around moving equipment.

Interesting. I wonder how much battery life that saves.

The center 3W spot LED is extremely brilliant & well focused, and also
sports three power levels, with med/low attenuation accomplished same as
the floods. The spot does not have the silly emergency flash mode. and
is painfully blinding around mirror's & shiny stuff.

I'll bet.

The floods and spot cannot be both energized simultaneously, nor does it
(so far) seem necessary.

It has three tiny battery level indicator LED's, green/yellow/red
mounted to the side of the battery compartment.

I wear my headlamps while on my back quite often and have always
bought the style with the back of the band free of obstructions.
They're all much lower powered than your new one, but I can see why
some mfgrs put the battery box on the back: for better balance.

Manual is just 'ok'. It had no mention of how to assemble the top strap,
and it took a day or so to figure it out.

No comment. titter

Comes with a 3 year warranty, and they claim parts are available.

Thanks again all!

G'luck with it.

--
I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues.
--Duke Ellington
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Looks like good equipment. I like the batteries in the back,
for weight balance. I wonder how long the three batteries
last? How many hours of light at different levels.

Years ago, with FRS walkie talkies. I learned to have a
second battery pack with me at all times. If you were away
from home, it would be good idea to have at least one change
of batteries with you.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
It may seem silly now, but you wouldn't think the emergency flash mode
on low was a bad idea if you broke your leg 4,000' down a cave and had
to wait a day or two for a rescue.

Whoa! That happened to me on Tuesday!
How did you know?

(Wait a minute, now I remember. I barked my
shin on the coffee table instead.)

--Winston -- Should have turned on the light.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 11:47:51 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
It may seem silly now, but you wouldn't think the emergency flash mode
on low was a bad idea if you broke your leg 4,000' down a cave and had
to wait a day or two for a rescue.

Whoa! That happened to me on Tuesday!
How did you know?

The little guy from Notre Dame said "Call it a hunch."

(Wait a minute, now I remember. I barked my
shin on the coffee table instead.)

Whew, CLOSE!

--Winston -- Should have turned on the light.

Ayup. Or used the rods in your eyes to get around. Look askance and
walk wherever you like, Winnie. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye

--
I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues.
--Duke Ellington
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-07, Erik wrote:
In article ,
Erik wrote:

Hi,

I'm in the market for a good quality LED headlamp.

[ ... ]

I'm the original poster...

First of all, thanks to all for the good information.

I decided to go with, and bought this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-.../B0018J76MC/re
f=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317972340&sr=8-1

It was on sale at a local camping place (A-16)... $64.95 - 25% for a
total of $48.71 (before tax/lic).

It does use 3 AA's but I'll live. I much prefer battery powered devices
that use even numbers of batteries, as they come packaged that way, and
that extra battery always bugs me.

Sometimes, you can find them packaged six to a pack, which
should solve your problem for the moment.

I'm using something made (or at least branded) by Eveready, with
a mixture of central spot, multiple floods, both at once, or red narrow
floods. It is somewhat ligher than what you got, apparently, as the
three AAAs which it uses live in the front compartment with everything
else.

It is sold by Home Depot (probably among other places, but that
is where I found mine -- right by the checkout counter where I could not
resist it. :-)

The lamp assembly hinges down so you can point it to workbench
surface if you need to.

I haven't checked it for strobing yet, as I use it on unpowered
equipment in tight places, or when doing detail work on electronic
repair, not mechanical.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

The little guy from Notre Dame said "Call it a hunch."

'What hump?'

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

The little guy from Notre Dame said "Call it a hunch."

'What hump?'

Every Wednesday.

Headlamp height Matty F UK diy 35 September 17th 11 11:03 PM
How to heat a 9 x 16 uninsulated shed? Suggestions sought. KIMOSABE Woodworking 54 November 25th 08 03:30 AM
Headlamp Torch George UK diy 7 March 31st 08 06:09 PM
Headlamp Beam Adaptors Michael Shergold UK diy 7 May 16th 07 09:34 AM
VFD recommendations sought Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 25 June 19th 05 05:03 PM