Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default LED Headlamp Suggestions Sought

On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 01:44:34 -0700, Erik wrote:

In article ,
Erik wrote:

Hi,

I'm in the market for a good quality LED headlamp.

I'm here looking for suggestions as to good build quality, bright
'flood' illumination that renders colors correctly, long battery life
(preferably from 2, not three cells) and resistance to 'real world'
dirt/crud, water & mechanical shock.

Any and all suggestions, comments, warnings etc are more than welcome!

Thanks all,

Erik

Hi all,

I'm the original poster...

First of all, thanks to all for the good information.

I decided to go with, and bought this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-.../B0018J76MC/re
f=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317972340&sr=8-1

It was on sale at a local camping place (A-16)... $64.95 - 25% for a
total of $48.71 (before tax/lic).

That beats Amazon's $54 price, with free shipping. Good deal.

It does use 3 AA's but I'll live. I much prefer battery powered devices
that use even numbers of batteries, as they come packaged that way, and
that extra battery always bugs me.

You buy the expensive way. I usually buy in even increments but get
the large economy packs, usually 20 or 24 for $7 (Eveready Gold alk)
v. $4-5 for 1-2 pair in most stores. Our local BiMart is cheaper than
HD, Lowes, or Wally World.

The unit has 4 small LED 'side lights' for close range flood lighting,
that can be adjusted high, medium or low. Once you eyes are acclimated
to the dark, even the low position is fine for walking around. (There is
also some silly emergency flash mode for the floods.) Around mirrors and
shiny stuff, even on low these'll leave spots in your eyes...

It may seem silly now, but you wouldn't think the emergency flash mode
on low was a bad idea if you broke your leg 4,000' down a cave and had
to wait a day or two for a rescue.

I quickly discovered that the med and low flood settings are
accomplished by rapidly 'strobeing' (sp?) the LED's, and will require
caution around moving equipment.

Interesting. I wonder how much battery life that saves.

The center 3W spot LED is extremely brilliant & well focused, and also
sports three power levels, with med/low attenuation accomplished same as
the floods. The spot does not have the silly emergency flash mode. and
is painfully blinding around mirror's & shiny stuff.

I'll bet.

The floods and spot cannot be both energized simultaneously, nor does it
(so far) seem necessary.

It has three tiny battery level indicator LED's, green/yellow/red
mounted to the side of the battery compartment.

I wear my headlamps while on my back quite often and have always
bought the style with the back of the band free of obstructions.
They're all much lower powered than your new one, but I can see why
some mfgrs put the battery box on the back: for better balance.

Manual is just 'ok'. It had no mention of how to assemble the top strap,
and it took a day or so to figure it out.

No comment. titter

Comes with a 3 year warranty, and they claim parts are available.

Thanks again all!

G'luck with it.

--
I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues.
--Duke Ellington