Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

Default WTB - Rigging

"Steve B" wrote in message
.. .

"ATP" wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in message
I need some rigging. Particularly, two long nylon straps with sewn
eyes to cradle my boat. About 12' long. Can also use some shorter
ones for logging, about 4-12 ft. And some socketed wire rope chokers
that haven't been crimped 3/8"-1/2" 10'-12'. Shorter ones, too.

A good farm supply will have straps. Then cut to length and take them
to a tent and awning repair shop to sew loops.

I'm allergic to retail. But I do have a walking foot heavy duty sewing
machine, and may look into making my own, as it would make it easier to
make multiple loop, and offset slings.

Steve

Then you'll be able to work like a rigger.

I an Offshore Petroleum Industry, and OSHA certified. But I don't know if
those have expiration dates. In fact, I don't even know where they are.
But I WAS really certified in another life. I am retired now.

Really.

Steve

That's cool. I remember when I was a kid my father went to a military
parachute rigging school. They had some pretty big sewing machines for the
equipment slings.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP" wrote

That's cool. I remember when I was a kid my father went to a military
parachute rigging school. They had some pretty big sewing machines for the
equipment slings.

This is the original monster. Complete with table, HUGE motor, head,
everything. All together, I'd say the head, motor, and table weigh 150# or
more.

It's being tuned up right now, and I can't wait to get it back and start
some canvas projects I have in the pipeline.

I'm also going to get some nylon strap webbing, and make some of my own
lifting slings particular to my uses.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
.. .
I'm also going to get some nylon strap webbing, and make some of my own
lifting slings particular to my uses.
Steve

How much more than the expected load should the test load be?

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/28/2011 4:20 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Steve wrote in message
.. .
I'm also going to get some nylon strap webbing, and make some of my own
lifting slings particular to my uses.
Steve

How much more than the expected load should the test load be?

jsw

Typical safety margin on any lifting equipment is 5x.

WTB - Rigging -- Steve B Ignoramus21395 Metalworking 5 September 27th 11 03:41 AM
Bad crane rigging example - video James Waldby[_3_] Metalworking 45 June 22nd 11 04:43 PM
TJI rigging? mfreak Home Repair 5 March 11th 06 07:32 PM
Rigging apology Steve B Metalworking 7 March 7th 06 03:27 AM
Do it yourself tool rigging Mike Berger Metalworking 20 January 24th 06 02:51 AM