Posted to alt.home.repair
mfreak

Default TJI rigging?

I have TJI joists in my house. In my basement, I want to shackle
chains from 3 of them (every other one for 5 joists), and hang a
combined total of about 200 lbs, evenly distributed, so about 65-70 lbs
per chain. Can I just get regular bolt shackles and do this? Any
other/better way to do this? Any problems, comments, or tips on doing
this right?

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On 10 Mar 2006 10:11:36 -0800, "mfreak" wrote:

I have TJI joists in my house. In my basement, I want to shackle
chains from 3 of them (every other one for 5 joists), and hang a
combined total of about 200 lbs, evenly distributed, so about 65-70 lbs
per chain. Can I just get regular bolt shackles and do this? Any
other/better way to do this? Any problems, comments, or tips on doing
this right?

Thanks,

You're not allowed to hang things from the bottom
chord. How vital is the exact location of
the chains? Your best bet would be to find
a wall crossing overhead, and put lag-bolts
up through the floor into the bottom plate.

Failing that, screw long metal plates into the
sides of the TOP member of the I-Joist, and
hang the chains from those.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

mfreak wrote:
I have TJI joists in my house. In my basement, I want to shackle
chains from 3 of them (every other one for 5 joists), and hang a
combined total of about 200 lbs, evenly distributed, so about 65-70 lbs
per chain. Can I just get regular bolt shackles and do this? Any
other/better way to do this? Any problems, comments, or tips on doing
this right?

Don't hang things from the flanges . It's not an I beam (W-section for
you purists), and it's not a good idea to hang weight from them. A
better way is to screw and glue 1x or 2x blocking on either side of the
plywood web, drill a hole through the center for some 1/2" all-thread,
washers and nuts on both sides with about 1.5" of rod projecting from
either side, schackle bolt on either side, then a washer and nylon lock
nut on either end.

If you don't want to use the hardware, and since it's a pretty small
amount of weight, you could just drill through the center of the
blocking and use some 1/2" line (rope to your landlubbers) tied in a
loop and hang the schackle from the bottom of the loop.

I'm not going to ask what, or who, you'll be chaining to your basement
ceiling.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mfreak

Ya, that's what I figured.. Well, let me explain what I want, there
must be some way of doing it.. I'm building a studio/party room, and I
want a heavy duty platform for an overhead amp rack, and a couple of
mains (PA speakers). I have the shelf framed up with 2x3's and
plywood. I have a 2x4 bolted to the wall for a lip, and I can screw
the 2x3 to the wall, that'll be more than plenty secure.

But I need support for the front protruding edge, and I didn't want to
have 2x4 legs going to the floor holding it up or whatever.. Any
suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On 10 Mar 2006 14:23:31 -0800, "mfreak" wrote:

Ya, that's what I figured.. Well, let me explain what I want, there
must be some way of doing it.. I'm building a studio/party room, and I
want a heavy duty platform for an overhead amp rack, and a couple of
mains (PA speakers). I have the shelf framed up with 2x3's and
plywood. I have a 2x4 bolted to the wall for a lip, and I can screw
the 2x3 to the wall, that'll be more than plenty secure.

But I need support for the front protruding edge, and I didn't want to
have 2x4 legs going to the floor holding it up or whatever.. Any
suggestions?

Diagonal supports. Either up from the shelf, down from it, or both.
What's the total weight and dimensions of the equipment?

Or put up two rails along the wall, and bolt on each
peice of equipment individually, and skip the shelf
entirely.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

mfreak writes:

Any suggestions?

Superstrut from Home Depot or Lowes. Flush screws to the floor above,
connector nuts and threaded rod to reach down.

Rigging apology Steve B Metalworking 7 March 7th 06 03:27 AM
Do it yourself tool rigging Mike Berger Metalworking 20 January 24th 06 02:51 AM
Pol: Bush people rigging election in Florida, again Florida Patriot Home Repair 54 October 1st 04 08:37 PM