Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT computer Q

Mama's computer screen (Acer P191W 19" LCD) is sick ... screen is dim and
flickery. It's been going dark on us lately when waking it up , turn power
off then a few seconds later power on has brought it back - until today . I
have the unit apart , checking the power board for bad caps since that's
listed as a primary cause of monitor problems - found 2 bulged tops , none
leaking . I'll be visitin' the local RS for replacements , and hoping that's
all it needs .
Anybody out there have experience with repairing these ? Would I be better
off looking for a replacement at a yard sale ? We have a small CRT monitor
on it for now so the g-kids can still play their games , but it sure ain't
optimum ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 26, 8:57*pm, "Snag" wrote:
[...]

Just replace the visibly bad caps, and you're 90% sure to be good to
go. No test equipment needed other than your eyeballs. And, in
general, the caps only have to be close in value (but do not go lower
in voltage rating). I've fixed loads of these - very few have anything
wrong other than bad caps in the backlight supply.

If you have a good supply of caps, it's a good idea to replace all the
similar ones, not just those that are already bulging. The rest are
likely to follow soon.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:
Mama's computer screen (Acer P191W 19" LCD) is sick ... screen is dim and
flickery. It's been going dark on us lately when waking it up , turn power
off then a few seconds later power on has brought it back - until today . I
have the unit apart , checking the power board for bad caps since that's
listed as a primary cause of monitor problems - found 2 bulged tops , none
leaking . I'll be visitin' the local RS for replacements , and hoping that's
all it needs .
Anybody out there have experience with repairing these ? Would I be better
off looking for a replacement at a yard sale ? We have a small CRT monitor
on it for now so the g-kids can still play their games , but it sure ain't
optimum ...

Symptoms are consistent with a dying backlight.
Does it have a pinkish cast to it?
http://www.laptopparts101.com/screen...ght-ccfl-lamp/

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
news

Mama's computer screen (Acer P191W 19" LCD) is sick ... screen is dim and
flickery. It's been going dark on us lately when waking it up , turn power
off then a few seconds later power on has brought it back - until today .
I have the unit apart , checking the power board for bad caps since that's
listed as a primary cause of monitor problems - found 2 bulged tops , none
leaking . I'll be visitin' the local RS for replacements , and hoping
that's all it needs .
Anybody out there have experience with repairing these ? Would I be
better off looking for a replacement at a yard sale ? We have a small CRT
monitor on it for now so the g-kids can still play their games , but it
sure ain't optimum ...

I usually smash the caps and then jiggle / wiggle / pull leaving the leads
still soldered to the board instead of clipping or de-soldering.

Then I mount the new caps a few inches away wherever is convenient using
silicone and use hookup wire to make the actual electrical connection.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:

Mama's computer screen (Acer P191W 19" LCD) is sick ... screen is dim and
flickery. It's been going dark on us lately when waking it up , turn power
off then a few seconds later power on has brought it back - until today . I
have the unit apart , checking the power board for bad caps since that's
listed as a primary cause of monitor problems - found 2 bulged tops , none
leaking. I'll be visitin' the local RS for replacements , and hoping that's
all it needs .
Anybody out there have experience with repairing these ? Would I be better
off looking for a replacement at a yard sale ? We have a small CRT monitor
on it for now so the g-kids can still play their games , but it sure ain't
optimum ...

You want low ESR replacements. Panasonic FM series is what I use for
repairs, since they are considered some of the best made. I buy them
from Digikey. Beware of repair shop grade parts if you don't want a
quick failure, or to have them explode inside the computer. Radio Shack
is the last place to buy what you need for this repair.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Snag" wrote in message
news

[...]

That isn't a good idea for switchmode power supplies. The long leads
add inductance, which reduces the filtering, but it's your equipment.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
news
...Would I be better off looking for a replacement at a yard sale ? We
have a small CRT monitor on it for now so the g-kids can still play their
games , but it sure ain't optimum ...
Snag

I like the 22" HDTV that serves as the monitor on the other PC. It will
display two full pages of a .PDF file large enough to read, and of course
play TV. Does the computer have a DVI or HDMI output?

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 19:57:57 -0500, "Snag"
wrote:

Mama's computer screen (Acer P191W 19" LCD) is sick ... screen is dim and
flickery. It's been going dark on us lately when waking it up , turn power
off then a few seconds later power on has brought it back - until today . I
have the unit apart , checking the power board for bad caps since that's
listed as a primary cause of monitor problems - found 2 bulged tops , none
leaking . I'll be visitin' the local RS for replacements , and hoping that's
all it needs .
Anybody out there have experience with repairing these ? Would I be better
off looking for a replacement at a yard sale ? We have a small CRT monitor
on it for now so the g-kids can still play their games , but it sure ain't
optimum ...

I've fixed about a dozen of them - not all the same model, but most
of them Acer. Getting the right caps is a job. Many are 1/8" or so too
long.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 18:14:31 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Snag wrote:
[...]

If the caps are swelled the chances are better than 90% it's the
caps.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 18:21:03 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

"Snag" wrote in message
news

[...]

Not the best way of doing it - particularly on a rather dense board
that needs to fit in a fairly tight fitting RFI shield box.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 21:14:33 -0500, "Snag"

wrote:

Mama's computer screen (Acer P191W 19" LCD) is sick ... screen is
dim and flickery. It's been going dark on us lately when waking it
up , turn power off then a few seconds later power on has brought it
back - until today . I have the unit apart , checking the power
board for bad caps since that's listed as a primary cause of monitor
problems - found 2 bulged tops , none leaking . I'll be visitin' the
local RS for replacements , and hoping that's all it needs .
Anybody out there have experience with repairing these ? Would I be
better off looking for a replacement at a yard sale ? We have a
small CRT monitor on it for now so the g-kids can still play their
games , but it sure ain't optimum ...

I've fixed about a dozen of them - not all the same model, but most
of them Acer. Getting the right caps is a job. Many are 1/8" or so too
long.

Thanks to all , I'll be looking up those caps at digikey or mouser . I
figger I should just go ahead and replace 'em all while I'm in there .
There's a guy selling "kits" on eBay , but his photo doesn't look like my
power board . Before I order from someone like him I'll get the values of
all the electrolytics on the board .

Higher voltage or slighly higher value caps won't hurt - and higher
temperature rating is a deffinite advantage. Don't go lower in temp
rating or voltage.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 26, 8:57*pm, "Snag" wrote:
Would I be better
off looking for a replacement at a yard sale ? We have a small CRT monitor
on it for now so the g-kids can still play their games , but it sure ain't
optimum ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

Check the thrift stores. Around here the smaller lcd displays are
about $15 to $25 in the thrift stores.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

http://www.badcaps.net/

You can get all the caps you will need from the folks there. They also
sell kits for the common failure items as well.
Bad caps are VERY common, there were some bad ones out of China and
Japan for a couple years.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message

http://www.badcaps.net/

You can get all the caps you will need from the folks there. They also
sell kits for the common failure items as well.
Bad caps are VERY common, there were some bad ones out of China and Japan
for a couple years.
Steve W.

The manual for my 2002 Hitachi monitor says that the power supply caps have
an expected life of five years.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 11:00:20 -0400, the renowned "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Steve W." wrote in message

http://www.badcaps.net/

You can get all the caps you will need from the folks there. They also
sell kits for the common failure items as well.
Bad caps are VERY common, there were some bad ones out of China and Japan
for a couple years.
Steve W.

The manual for my 2002 Hitachi monitor says that the power supply caps have
an expected life of five years.

jsw

That's what the Japanese engineers I worked with used as their
standard- even for industrial gear. Normally there are only a couple
of parts that actually wear out like that - PSU capacitors and
electromechanical relays. Electrolytic caps used elsewhere tend to
last for decades (less stress- self heating and typically hot
environment, and generally the circuits are less intolerant to
decreased capacitance).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

OT - Computer John UK diy 103 January 26th 11 09:10 PM
DIY via computer PeterC UK diy 23 July 11th 09 08:31 AM
computer (it) [email protected] UK diy 0 May 4th 08 12:00 PM
Using a Computer PSU without a computer simon lloyd Electronics 5 May 6th 05 11:55 PM