Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default OT computer Q

wrote:
On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 19:57:57 -0500, "Snag"
wrote:

Mama's computer screen (Acer P191W 19" LCD) is sick ... screen is
dim and flickery. It's been going dark on us lately when waking it
up , turn power off then a few seconds later power on has brought it
back - until today . I have the unit apart , checking the power
board for bad caps since that's listed as a primary cause of monitor
problems - found 2 bulged tops , none leaking . I'll be visitin' the
local RS for replacements , and hoping that's all it needs .
Anybody out there have experience with repairing these ? Would I be
better off looking for a replacement at a yard sale ? We have a
small CRT monitor on it for now so the g-kids can still play their
games , but it sure ain't optimum ...

I've fixed about a dozen of them - not all the same model, but most
of them Acer. Getting the right caps is a job. Many are 1/8" or so too
long.

Thanks to all , I'll be looking up those caps at digikey or mouser . I
figger I should just go ahead and replace 'em all while I'm in there .
There's a guy selling "kits" on eBay , but his photo doesn't look like my
power board . Before I order from someone like him I'll get the values of
all the electrolytics on the board .

--
Snag
Learning keeps